Late game play

D

DarkWolfYoda

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm having a hard time playing around the bubble or lasting after the bubble has popped.

It's frustrating because I'll be up with 60-100 BB mid tournament, and even coming into the bubble
but I find if I play too tight before the bubble my stack gets down to
30-40BB and then feel like I'm behind a lot of the players who had to shove to stay alive and won, and now that my stacks covered by more people it's easier for me to be eliminated,

Or inversely if I play more aggressive and start calling other shoves to try to knock players out. if I lose then I end up having to shove/fold to stay alive and get booted before the bubble.

So how do I keep a strong position going into the bubble without blowing it?

what's the optimal way to play the late game from an ahead position?

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I use to follow up my placing and average stack, rather then the amount of BB's I have.
This is because in some turbo and hyper formats - you could be chipleader with even 20 BB's.
So if I am within Top 10% in chips - I am going to play aggresive, anything less - I would play tight, and if below average stack - I would simply wait for bubble, shoving only monster hands ...

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the bubble stage and in the late stages of the tournament, you need to play tight-aggressive against inactive opponents and short stacks.

YuriDitz

YuriDitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I am a cheepleader, then I will play aggressively and taking chips from players with a short stack.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the late game it is very important that you get in first and have as tight a player as possible in the big blind. These factors are much more important than the cards you have in your hand.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm having a hard time playing around the bubble or lasting after the bubble has popped.

It's frustrating because I'll be up with 60-100 BB mid tournament, and even coming into the bubble
but I find if I play too tight before the bubble my stack gets down to
30-40BB and then feel like I'm behind a lot of the players who had to shove to stay alive and won, and now that my stacks covered by more people it's easier for me to be eliminated,

Or inversely if I play more aggressive and start calling other shoves to try to knock players out. if I lose then I end up having to shove/fold to stay alive and get booted before the bubble.

So how do I keep a strong position going into the bubble without blowing it?

what's the optimal way to play the late game from an ahead position?

Thank you for posting.

At this stage of the tournament we will often bust just due to variance as stacks are short.
So blinding down is going to occur often around the bubble and busting shortly after is common.

However you stated you are busting calling other players shoves when trying to be aggressive.
This may be an issue as we seldom want to be calling other players shoves but be the one shoving as we then have some fold equity.

In order to truly help you excel we here at CC would need you to post actual bust out hands to see if it was your line or variance. We then could comment on other strategies in each hand that you may find helpful.

Hope this helps
:):)

Top 10 Games