Knock out Strategy

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Recently I have started playing Knockout Tournaments at the $1.10 entry level and I am wondering if there are different strategies in play from normal MTT or SitNGo tourneys? So far I haven't done too well in the knockout format. Suiggestions?

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Knockout tournaments are played in the same way as regular tournaments, many players play very loose in the hope of knocking out another player.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like the other writers have said, it does come down to being more aggressive. I have been playing in the 100k knockout tourney that is every day at 12:30 pm eastern time. I have noticed that players take more risks with more average hands to try and win the knockout. I do not play this way as much though; my objective is to win some KO'S but get close to the end and juice up my bankroll.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes there are actually some pretty big adjustments, that need to be made in tournaments with bounties. Not so much, when stacks are deep, and the pot is small. But when somebody is all-in, and you cover them, you need to call wider, because their bounty is giving you better pot odds. And because other players might want the bounty to, you sometimes need to be very aggressive in isolating an all-in player, particularly if they are very short.

Also there is much less value in outlasting other players, because only half the price money is distributed based on finishing position. So where ICM cause us to be quite risk averse in normal tournaments, bountys kind of negate that and reward a much more aggressive approach, where the goal is to build and maintain a big stack even at the expense of cashing less frequently.

Lets say for example, that you are playing a 9-man SnG. In the first hand you open raise to 3BB with AKs, it folds to SB, who ships his 75BB into the pot. It folds to you, and based on a population read you expect, that most of his range is small to medium pocket pairs and sometimes another AK. In that case the play in a normal 9-man SnG is to fold, because dubbling your stack dont dubble your EV. But in a bounty 9-man you should call, because now you more than dubble your EV, if you win, since 25% of the buyin is already in your account in the form of his bounty.

Another adjustment is, that if you want to bet the river for value and have to choose between making a small bet or putting your opponent all-in, then you should lean far more towards the latter option, so you give yourself a chance to win his bounty. And as others have already said, if you become short, so that the chip value of your bounty is very significant compared to your stack, you wont have fold equity, and this will change your jamming range. The value of hands like 44 or JTs goes down, whereas the value of hands like KJo or A9o goes up, because they dominate part of your opponents calling ranges.

Last edited:
gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thank you very much for your insights, Fundiver...you have helped me a lot :)

A

Axmanace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not so much, when stacks are deep, and the pot is small. But when somebody is all-in, and you cover them, you need to call wider, because their bounty is giving you better pot odds.
Is this true in POK as well?

One thing I’ve noticed - I get into trouble adjusting my calling range too much.

Yes I’m technically getting pot odds to call with only a 30% equity… but if I loose it substantially kneecaps my ability to chase bounties later in the game (when they are progressively bigger).

Nothing definitive - just a feeling I get when playing progressive bounties.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the responses now if I can just apply the thoughts. take care

DiazPoker3101

DiazPoker3101

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
In tournaments I recommend that you enter at the beginning of the tournament since you can profit from the maniacal players, and you have the possibility of winning money from them.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, the most optimal strategy in tournaments of this format is to be patient and play mainly with a strong card, using table position.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't play bounty tournaments because the variance of the moves that need to be made is very large and you have to have a great reading of the opponent to have as few mistakes as possible, players are aggressive for the bounty of others.

treblek1

treblek1

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
start the tournament at the very beginning, because then there are more bad players and a better chance to win the bounty right away.
bounty tournaments require a more aggressive style of play because most of the time everyone tries to take smaller stacks off the table themselves.
in bounty tournaments, the size of the stack depends a lot.

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the biggest error is play different at the beggining. play tight!!

the early bounty is very little, just like the normal mtt, the biggest prizes come at the mid to the final game

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the early bounty is very little, just like the normal mtt, the biggest prizes come at the mid to the final game
This is actually not true, since a typical starting bounty in a PKO is 25% of the buyin. So if for instance the starting stack is 5.000 chips, a bounty is worth 1.250 chips, which does give you significantly better pot odds to call an all-in. But even so you obviously still should not put in 100BB without a strong hand, and adjusting to bounties can easily be taken to far. But its an equally big mistake not adjusting at all or thinking, that you "should not gamble in the early game". You absolutely should, if you are getting the right odds to do so, and if you bust, you just reenter or play the next one.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This is actually not true, since a typical starting bounty in a PKO is 25% of the buyin. So if for instance the starting stack is 5.000 chips, a bounty is worth 1.250 chips, which does give you significantly better pot odds to call an all-in. But even so you obviously still should not put in 100BB without a strong hand, and adjusting to bounties can easily be taken to far. But its an equally big mistake not adjusting at all or thinking, that you "should not gamble in the early game". You absolutely should, if you are getting the right odds to do so, and if you bust, you just reenter or play the next one.
Once again you are spot on Fundiver. Lots of resppect for you.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KO tournaments are played in much the same way as non-KO tournaments. They are only in certain cases where you can make different decisions because there is a considerable Bounty in between and depending on your stack.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The main mistakes newbies make in PKO tournaments is playing too aggressively for bounties. Mistake number two - playing without any adjustment to the format at all.The optimal strategy is somewhere in the middle: act more actively if you cover the opponent in the hand, or when you see an easy target that is chasing an easy bounty. But don't neglect the basic concepts of tournament play.