Just Had Some "Genius" Raging At Me Over This All-In

Y

YogSothoth

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First few hands of a full-ring $1.10 NLHE tournament.

UTG+1 and LJ limp, HJ raises 4.5 BB. I re-raise with a pot-size bet on the button with... 44... Hear me out.

UTG+1 and LJ fold.

He calls.

Flop comes: 3d - 5s - 8c

HJ jams.

I call.

Here's the thing, I really do grind the $1.10 games and take notes. I prefer to multi-table when I play, it stops me placing too much importance on single games, so I like to have a 1.10 game and a 4.50 - 7.50 game going. Point is, anyway, I have notes on this guy, the most important of which are these:

Jammed pre-flop with JJ after re-raised.
Jammed pre-flop with 99 after re-raised.
Jammed pre-flop with 66 after re-raised.

See a pattern? So, knowing that he has raised 4.5BB, has just been re-raised and is now calling, I presume a few things. He doesn't have AA, KK or QQ. Looking at my notes, I'd also make the more tenuous assumption that he doesn't have a pair, because three times before over two games - twice in early stages, once in mid stages - I've seen this guy jam. I've also seen him play badly post-flop - easily bullied, jams with nothing after losing a few big blinds and just generally bad play. So what do I assume he has?

AK, AQ, KQ, QJ - not a pair.

Whatever he has, I'm slightly - very slightly - ahead of him on the flip.

Do I KNOW this? No, but I'm properly bankrolled and willing to take the risk on my little 1.10 game.

He has AQ.

I win the flip. He says nothing. But poker genius LJ goes f*****g bananas in the chat on and off for a whole hour. His main issues being he folded JJ, I'm a donkey of illegitimate birth, my mother is prostitute (and presumably also a donkey?)

I never retaliate on chat, but I'd like to think CC community has my back here. Firstly, who the f**k limps with JJ and then folds when I three-bet the HJ? That board was perfect for jacks and it was hardly a huge pot.

I was basically paying for information when I re-raised. Had HJ jammed pre-flop, I would have folded. Considering it was a $1.10 buy-in, and I was pretty sure I was slightly ahead in terms of equity, I was happy flipping.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Here is a lesson on the importance of notes. I certainly wouldn't have played it that way without the information you had, but with it, you can adjust to take advantage. Ruling out him having a pair with only 2 cards to come gives you a significant advantage.

As for the "genius". I'd be taking notes of him and 3 betting him relentlessly.

Y

YogSothoth

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is a lesson on the importance of notes. I certainly wouldn't have played it that way without the information you had, but with it, you can adjust to take advantage. Ruling out him having a pair with only 2 cards to come gives you a significant advantage.

As for the "genius". I'd be taking notes of him and 3 betting him relentlessly.

Can't imagine his bankroll will survive much longer, to be honest.

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
noting wrong with your play

its good to play all tables of whatever value. you can always learn.:)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The "poker expert" was probably mostly mad at himself, because he folded the best hand. As for your line small pairs play poorly in low SPR pots like 1-3, so I typically dont 3-bet those hands, if getting called will result in such a situation. If stacks are short enough, I might 3-bet jam them, but otherwise I would either call to setmine or simply fold. As for postflop the donk jam on the flop does look somewhat bluffy to me, and my biggest concern would be, that he was doing this "for protection" with a slightly better hand like 65s or A8. This time he had air though, and if you play preflop different, then the spot obviously does not happen :)

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Reading the opponent helped you and the result was not long in coming. The worst thing that could happen is 4 calls to your re-raise. This is very expensive information. Other players may think that your hand is much stronger than 44, seeing after a raise and re-raise.

yezzrr

yezzrr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is why I turn the chat off, when I'm online [emoji6]
When live, I really enjoy needling these guys further into tilt

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

UTG+1 and LJ limp, HJ raises 4.5 BB. I re-raise with a pot-size bet on the button with... 44... Hear me out.

UTG+1 and LJ fold.

He calls.

HJ jams.

I call.

Here's the thing, I really do grind the $1.10 games and take notes. I prefer to multi-table when I play, it stops me placing too much importance on single games, so I like to have a 1.10 game and a 4.50 - 7.50 game going. Point is, anyway, I have notes on this guy, the most important of which are these:

See a pattern? So, knowing that he has raised 4.5BB, has just been re-raised and is now calling, I presume a few things. He doesn't have AA, KK or QQ. Looking at my notes, I'd also make the more tenuous assumption that he doesn't have a pair, because three times before over two games - twice in early stages, once in mid stages - I've seen this guy jam. I've also seen him play badly post-flop - easily bullied, jams with nothing after losing a few big blinds and just generally bad play. So what do I assume he has?

Do I KNOW this? No, but I'm properly bankrolled and willing to take the risk on my little 1.10 game.

He has AQ.

I win the flip. He says nothing. But poker genius LJ goes f*****g bananas in the chat on and off for a whole hour. His main issues being he folded JJ, I'm a donkey of illegitimate birth, my mother is prostitute (and presumably also a donkey?)

I never retaliate on chat, but I'd like to think CC community has my back here. Firstly, who the f**k limps with JJ and then folds when I three-bet the HJ? That board was perfect for jacks and it was hardly a huge pot.

I was basically paying for information when I re-raised. Had HJ jammed pre-flop, I would have folded. Considering it was a $1.10 buy-in, and I was pretty sure I was slightly ahead in terms of equity, I was happy flipping.

I like it.

People don't re-raise remotely enough, when they do they have AK or a large pair which is worse than not re-raising. Popping it with 44 is great.

I also like the flop with your hand.

People get upset when they are facing something they don't understand in poker. Let them get mad and keep stacking their chips.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good read. I try to ignore the “genius “ players who always know all the right moves yet always seem to be losing players.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A little experience in playing at small limits. Advice on hot tournaments at these limits. If you have Ah Kj Kq go allin and you will be the chip leader.

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It has already happened in some games of being furious at having lost a previous hand of yours and being short stacked and then comes a good hand hahah ... or as there are some pay all of utg with j9 sulted, it always has.

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh my God. If I paid attention to such messages, I would go crazy. Is the victory yours? - So let the commentator go further.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

UTG+1 and LJ fold.

He calls.

HJ jams.

I call.

He has AQ.

You need to take better (more detailed) notes.

V

VBB112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Got your back the whole way. Nice play based on your information and congratulations on both collecting information and using it effectively.

Agreed - - LJ is an idiot.

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the 'ranting' of your opponent did get to you, otherwise you would not be writing about it . . . This is why I play with the mute on all the players because I don't need the aggravation of ugliness during play -- I play for enjoyment and rarely do you see kind remarks during a game except for 'good hand' which I take offense to as well . . . Was it a good hand? Or was it good play?

Z

Zeke67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Information is the key!!

Given your knowledge of that particular player I definitely would agree with your move. As for the idiot that just limped with JJ I would try to gather as much data on him/her and then punish him/her and OFTEN !! Lol. I am an extensive note-taker also and when the situation arises where I play against a known opponent it just makes the game that much more enjoyable. That is one big advantage of online poker. The ability to take sticky notes on any given player is invaluable! Information is the key to everything!! The more you have the better decisions you can make!! Therefore you make more correct decisions. Have more fun(because you’re winning). AND you make more money!! Cha-Ching

Stay Safe

Z

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Huh? :deal: i forgot what we were talking about,,,, :stupido2: Oh yea,,,,bad beat right? They suck! :vroam:

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
My questions have been resolved and curiosity sated. :laugh:

Bad beats are a part of poker and always will be.

You need to be able to accept them without losing your mind or reacting emotionally.. :)

Also notes are very useful! :icon_thum

LitPavel

LitPavel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just turn off the chat in such situations, because even if I don't care about the alarmist, the endless messages in the chat distract me.

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
There’s one simple solution
Turn off your chat

I tend to just ignore anything anyone else has to say, that’s their business, not mine

Play your own game and ignore the haters :D

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's proof that taking notes is so important. Sooner, or later they will pay off.

In my mind, bank management, and note taking, and sticking with it, are the most important ingredients of successful play.

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is why I turn the chat off, when I'm online [emoji6]
When live, I really enjoy needling these guys further into tilt
I did that as well. As well animations and throwing stuff. When I want to read stoopid comments, I go to FB.

A

Axmanace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Arguably 3 betting that low of a pair is super super loose... and boarder line donk territory.

BUT the JJ player played equally donkish so he really has no ground to stand on. He should have at least called - unless you had a table persona of being super tight? And if that’s the case... nice semi-bluff. :).

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Firstly, who the f**k limps with JJ and then folds when I three-bet the HJ? That board was perfect for jacks and it was hardly a huge pot.

An ultra passive fish - that's who. :)
Nice play based on your notes. Quite loose - but hey - your playing to win and exploiting - which is a fundamental tool needed in order to build a solid chip stack - and also solid bankroll. A lot of players DO NOT attempt exploits based on notes - so you are well ahead of a lot of players.

Also disregard people who say to turn off chat. It is another invaluable tool to gain information, for later use. Those who do not have chat turned on are missing out on useful information, because they can't ignore the usless info.
Its equivalent to wearing noise cancelling head phones or listening to music during a live MTT with only 2 tables remaining.