Just caught a bad beat. SMH

Pharaoh39

Pharaoh39

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just caught a bad beat. In the Saturday ACR tournament, blinds are $30/$60. I have a stack of $3,625. With my stack of $3,625 (60BB) I raise 2.5x the BB to $150 in the hijack with JJ's. The player next to me in the cutoff named fi5hbon3 with a stack of $1,870 (31BB) calls my raise, then the other player named vik2003 in the BB who has us both covered with a stack of $7,585(126BB) re-raises to $300. I 4-bet him from $300 to $900. (3x is raise) The person next to me (fi5hbon3) still calls with only $970 left. The other player (vik2003) shoves all in. I'm prepared to get it all in and shove due to the fact that I'm in late position and I'm getting decent odds to call. I shove my remaining chips. The person next to me (fi5hbon3) goes all in as well!

fi5hbon3 shows Q-10s! vik2003 I wasn't mad at because he had KK's. Flop comes Js 2d 4c. I hit a set! Turn comes Qs. Of course fate decides to bend me over and aim for penetration, because the river comes a Ks giving vik2003 a higher set and me drowning in the river, knocking fi5hbon3 and me out of the tournament.

vik2003, nice hand sir. That river blessed you. lol

fi5hbon3. SMH I got to ask. Why did you think calling a 3bet and a 4bet with Q-10s was a good idea?

T

TheMindFlow

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hahaha you tell very nice your hand. Fi5hbon3 was really a fish.

B

boonvech

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Somebody said that there are 3 different ways to play with JJ but all of them are mistake. May be i will not bet all-in with JJ preflop.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I hate to be the one to break the news... This is not a bad beat.

Last edited:
shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just caught a bad beat. In the Saturday ACR tournament, blinds are $30/$60. I have a stack of $3,625. With my stack of $3,625 (60BB) I raise 2.5x the BB to $150 in the hijack with JJ's. The player next to me in the cutoff named fi5hbon3 with a stack of $1,870 (31BB) calls my raise, then the other player named vik2003 in the BB who has us both covered with a stack of $7,585(126BB) re-raises to $300. I 4-bet him from $300 to $900. (3x is raise) The person next to me (fi5hbon3) still calls with only $970 left. The other player (vik2003) shoves all in. I'm prepared to get it all in and shove due to the fact that I'm in late position and I'm getting decent odds to call. I shove my remaining chips. The person next to me (fi5hbon3) goes all in as well!

fi5hbon3 shows Q-10s! vik2003 I wasn't mad at because he had KK's. Flop comes Js 2d 4c. I hit a set! Turn comes Qs. Of course fate decides to bend me over and aim for penetration, because the river comes a Ks giving vik2003 a higher set and me drowning in the river, knocking fi5hbon3 and me out of the tournament.

fi5hbon3. SMH I got to ask. Why did you think calling a 3bet and a 4bet with Q-10s was a good idea?
TBH, risking your stack calling a 5-bet all-in with JJ into a multi-way pot was just a bad decision.

You should have been able to get away from the hand if your 4-bet was to gain info, If not betting for info, why did you 4-bet?

I have folded QQ under similar circumstances, and most times, it was the right decision.

Do not base all your decisions on odds alone, smart players will use that against you by giving you proper odds to call.
Know your opponents.

Last edited:
Pharaoh39

Pharaoh39

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TBH, risking your stack calling a 5-bet all-in with JJ into a multi-way pot was just a bad decision.

You should have been able to get away from the hand if your 4-bet was to gain info, If not betting for info, why did you 4-bet?

I have folded QQ under similar circumstances, and most times, it was the right decision.

Do not base all your decisions on odds alone, smart players will use that against you by giving you proper odds to call.
Know your opponents.

Not correct. if you're in late position and you 4-bet you (with only certain hands)better have the intention of going all in. You don't 4-bet to see where someone is at. That's not smart. That's giving chips away. Especially when your stacks are getting lower.

The 50- to 75-BB stack size is the optimal range to 3-bet your opponents with a fairly wide range of hands, especially when you have position on them. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, you’re not risking a major portion of your stack and it will have little effect on your opening range and flexibility in future hands. Second, the stack sizes are such that your opponent is often making a greater mistake in calling your 3bet when he’s out of position than he would with deeper stacks.

Now with JJ's in late position, I could have also called his 3-bet, hit the set on the flop, but due to him having KK's chances are he was never going to fold regardless even if I had shoved on the turn. Now if I had been in early/middle, I just would have flat called his 3 bet.

There is some wisdom with what you said though. I mulled over it last night. Four-betting light is sub-optimal (with 75-50 BB) and should be avoided. Most of the time, if your opponent 5-bets, you no longer have the room to 4-bet and fold. I realized this error. I should have not 4-bet light.

Last edited:
A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You broke this down well and was easy to follow. My only question is this why are you mad at fi5hbon3 for calling with q10s? (Not that I don't get mad too, but trying to remove emotion from the game as best I can)

My point is I try to keep the following in mind.
1) Everyone is at a different level with regard to their play and knowledge, so maybe he is just learning.
2) usually that is a hand that will help you, not him so in the long run, should be profitable for you (then again its online ~ lol)

3) CC or not its still a freeroll - so he has no skin in the game just the time he put in so far.
4) you have no idea what is going on in his mind a) could be his fav hand b) could be distracted with youtube, wife and/or kids, or friends c) Might have multiple games up etc .
5) maybe just a recreational player and purposely makes calls like this to see what happens.

~ regardless good luck in your next game see you on the felt ~

Justcaught a bad beat. In the Saturday ACR tournament, blinds are $30/$60. I have a stack of $3,625. With my stack of $3,625 (60BB) I raise 2.5x the BB to $150 in the hijack with JJ's. The player next to me in the cutoff named fi5hbon3 with a stack of $1,870 (31BB) calls my raise, then the other player named vik2003 in the BB who has us both covered with a stack of $7,585(126BB) re-raises to $300. I 4-bet him from $300 to $900. (3x is raise) The person next to me (fi5hbon3) still calls with only $970 left. The other player (vik2003) shoves all in. I'm prepared to get it all in and shove due to the fact that I'm in late position and I'm getting decent odds to call. I shove my remaining chips. The person next to me (fi5hbon3) goes all in as well!

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your play was not bad, in this case both had a bit of luck unfortunately I play the worst part, better luck for the next and quiet that many players have spent the same, until the calls pro

iboga

iboga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your play was not bad, in this case both had a bit of luck unfortunately I play the worst part, better luck for the next and quiet that many players have spent the same, until the calls pro
It's because software kicks the shorter stacks out regardless of starting hands . In this case KK is pretty decent but I have seen worse hands get there on the river just because they have the chip lead advantage .

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Finish your statement. Just don't say something without breaking it down.
Sorry, I thought it would be obvious if I pointed out that it was not a bad beat. I guess not, so I will explain. You had JJ he had KK when all the chips went in the middle, there was no post flop play, that's it, KK vs JJ, you have two outs, since all the chips are in the middle the only possible bad beat is if KK loses on the 5 card run out. After all the chips are in the middle the order the cards run out does not matter, because they are all going to run out.

Last edited:
UberKadet

UberKadet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

thats part of poker. i recently had a FH while my opponent had a pair and he calls my allin and hits a higher Fullhouse on the river. I was just thinking WTF for awhile.

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't remember 1 time with [JC] [JH] winning a flip not 1 if its all in time after 3bet 4 bet 5bet I won't fold them I will just call. If I'm short stacked then I will get them in but if not if I 3bet and someone 4 bets I will just call.. 2 many bad memory's with the jay birds Plus after the 5 bet was there no alarm bells going of screaming ACES..... KINGS......QUEENS

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's because software kicks the shorter stacks out regardless of starting hands . In this case KK is pretty decent but I have seen worse hands get there on the river just because they have the chip lead advantage .
I made a post about this 2weeks ago.. I always see that short stacks getting put out [AC] [AH] beat by [9c] [7c] was the las 1 I seen.

freddy66

freddy66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
granny used to say........

aint but 3 ways to play jacks......and aint none of em right:cool:

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why is this a bad beat? Because you flopped a set after everyone was all-in pre-flop? Would you have thought it a bad beat it if the King came on the Flop and the Jack on the River? Probably not. The order of the cards make absolutely no difference. And you shouldn't be mad at either one of them. It's just poker and there's no need to berate or comment on their bad play.

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea not a bad beat. What we should be looking at is whether you could or should have gotten away from the hand.