jackass strategy

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently started playing like jackass online in multi-table tournaments after ranking 6th in $5000 guaranteed tournament 5ftp buy-in and winning $120.

My jackass strategy is, raise with anything. just be some random jackass who don't know how to play poker and be very unpredictable. I reraise with rags very often, such as raise with 94 offsuit from early position. Induces bluffs where you were able to bluff to win a big pot. I saw part of Aussie Millions where Phil Ivey raises with rags very often and reraises very frequently. I tried to approach this method in daily dollar. In beginning, I became chip leader and kept fooling around. In the end, I went bust because there were people who eventually got me on the right time and beat me. I just believe that if I can perfect this style, I can master loose-aggressive jackass style who can be very annoying and piss people off to the limit, thus getting them emotional and putting them on tilt easily and win very big pots when I have something.

I raise exact same amount nearly every hand. This way, even when I have Kings and Aces, it's very disguised. Another good thing is, when I have Kings and people end up calling me and flop comes out with an Ace, I can fold and abort my hand without losing a lot. When I don't have anything, I still raise and reraise often. When I have something such as full house or nuts, I still raise like the way I played like a jackass when I didn't have anything. I've done this recently and it worked really well. But in the end, I lose because I got busted by players who trapped me at the right time.

Any advice to this style of playing? I think guys like Phil Ivey, Durrrr, Erick Lindgren mastered this style of playing. I feel like if I can master this jackass style by learning when to abort mission, when to bluff harder, then I can be very successful with this. I don't do this in cash games. Only mtt tournaments. In early stage of the tournament, this method works very well for me and I even become chip leader very often. But towards middle/late stage, I go bust. I need to know if there's a way to master this style of playing or if this style is a bad style of playing in long-run.

X

xXShannonAXx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw part of Aussie Millions where Phil Ivey raises with rags very often and reraises very frequently. ? was there a reason to this

I tried to approach this method in daily dollar. in my opinion the start of the tourney is a donkfest even for the dollar buyin

I don't do this in cash games. Only mtt tournaments. In early stage of the tournament, this method works very well for me and I even become chip leader very often. But towards middle/late stage, I go bust

perhaps change your style in the mid/late stages of tourney have the jackass style for the first part of the tourney to build up your chips then change to a different style like tight aggressive

goborage

goborage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any $ you've made is a fluke. You'll lose $ in the long run playing like this.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Search this forum for "LAG" and read strategy articles. You're describing an extreme form of LAG, which is generally considered the most difficult playing style to master.

If you're good at it (Ivey, Hansen, etc.), it's extremely profitable (although the variance is high). If you're bad at it, you'll go bust.

The Dark Side

The Dark Side

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the first red flag is in the name youve given this style of play. The problem is there will always be someone waiting to felt you. Like me. I often sit in wait for people who are playing like you describe and trap them with a monster, just like you say is always happening to you. People catch on very quickly and adjust accordingly.

But if its working for you in the beginning of the MTT's try switching gears into a tighter style of game play once your the chip leader. Its all about making the proper adjustments.

But on a side note, I really cant see this ending well for you always raising rags.

Good Luck regardless.

B

Boseovski

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good but Bad

Well you do see many pros play like this in my opinion the main three are Ivey, Durr, and Laak I think it can be a very rewarding type of play, but u can't see ur oponions face, body, movements. all of this is key to the strategy but you can get somehwhat of a read online but it's not enough when the big decision comes sometimes. Still i agree that theres always someone gonna be waiting for you in the sense that i always play liek that aswell slowly build my but i loosen up at times too because if you dont loosen up you can never win!

Regards,

Boseovski

skinzfan1

skinzfan1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Please keep in mind that on TV you are only seeing a small percentages of the hands that are being played. So while it looks like Ivey is consistently playing rags, he is actually folding a good bit of the time.

The main problem with the "maniac" style of play you are describing is that you have to really know the table image for each player around you -- and most importantly -- be very good at playing after the flop. As mentioned earlier it is a difficult style to master. You can build chips quickly, but in no limit it only takes one mistake to send you home looking silly.

icecold24k

icecold24k

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This may work on occasion. However the problem is playing ATC like that pre flop your always putting yourself in situations to have to make some really tough decisions post flop. When you play premium cards which i know you always can't then your opponent is the one forced with the tough decision.
I have went on tilt before and just played super aggressive. Not really giving a shit. Actually I have won some SNG's that way. I also realize however over the long run its gonna bust me doing it. I can pick my spots and do this at times but as for a long term plan I don't think it would be very profitable.

xtrigemino

xtrigemino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Agree, I like this style absolutely.... In this last months Im try this strategy playing like durrrr and Im finish In 1st place In a couple of tournaments. I think this strategy can be a next level in your poker style if you play tight usually and you want change something in your poker. Obviously this strategy is for buy in tournaments (Most cases for big buy in tourney).

See ya

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hyper aggro makes me drool with delight

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the first red flag is in the name youve given this style of play. The problem is there will always be someone waiting to felt you. Like me. I often sit in wait for people who are playing like you describe and trap them with a monster, just like you say is always happening to you. People catch on very quickly and adjust accordingly.

But if its working for you in the beginning of the MTT's try switching gears into a tighter style of game play once your the chip leader. Its all about making the proper adjustments.

But on a side note, I really cant see this ending well for you always raising rags.

Good Luck regardless.

I think you just made me open my mind by making me realize that changing styles of play can be very effective. Play loose-aggressive and then when people think i play like a lucky jackass while being a chip leader, i become tight-aggressive using chip leader strategy and play solid poker. By the time people try to adjust to my loose-aggressive play, I can play tight-aggressive and it'll screw up their strategy. Once people start thinking I play very conservatively, I will then bluff often and play loose again because I've given tight-image to the table. Changing styles can be very effective. Thank you very much for this information. I guess changing styles can be effective. I'll try this tomorrow in daily dollar.

So far, I've been playing through one style, which was tight-aggressive with little gambling feel inside of me. But now, I'll try changing styles.

dresturn2

dresturn2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its good when it works but it will eventually catch up with u...most likely early in the tournament when u are trying to pull off this amazing feat and someone just check calls u until ur broke

J

jaggibson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have tried this in freerolls a few times. Basically I start off with this "jackass" or playing like I don't give a shit strategy. If I sm able to build up a decent stack I will then tighten my game up much more. I also will show more hands when I am doing this.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This basically is my style of playing. It is very profitable as you got a glimpse of. The major thing about this is you have to make adjustments. When you are seated at a table for the first time you can wreck havoc with this style. However you really need to gauge how much time the table will let you get away with playing like that and when they will make adjustments to you.

One thing that helps sometimes in keeping your run going is a judicial use of showing cards. Sometimes it can be very advantageous to show some of your really good hole cards. You want to cultivate the image that you are not one to be played with. And one other thing. Don't fall in love with your image either. You need to be able to slow it down when you are getting some resistance.

The Dark Side

The Dark Side

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you just made me open my mind by making me realize that changing styles of play can be very effective. Play loose-aggressive and then when people think i play like a lucky jackass while being a chip leader, i become tight-aggressive using chip leader strategy and play solid poker. By the time people try to adjust to my loose-aggressive play, I can play tight-aggressive and it'll screw up their strategy. Once people start thinking I play very conservatively, I will then bluff often and play loose again because I've given tight-image to the table. Changing styles can be very effective. Thank you very much for this information. I guess changing styles can be effective. I'll try this tomorrow in daily dollar.

So far, I've been playing through one style, which was tight-aggressive with little gambling feel inside of me. But now, I'll try changing styles.

No Sweat. Glad I could help. Thats why I registered. Mainly to GET help, but also pass on what I already know.

I think that by you switching it up, just as youve detailed, it will probably make a Really big difference.

Anyways, again, Good Luck, and post back with what youve discovered after switching gears mid-stream.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Sweat. Glad I could help. Thats why I registered. Mainly to GET help, but also pass on what I already know.

I think that by you switching it up, just as youve detailed, it will probably make a Really big difference.

Anyways, again, Good Luck, and post back with what youve discovered after switching gears mid-stream.

TY.

I'm gonna play 2 daily dollars today(1 rebuy, 1 deep stack). I'm about to play daily dollar re-buy right now. I'm prepared to lose money. I registered and I'm spending 5 dollars.(1 to register for the tournament, 1 to increase my chipstack to 3000, 2 dollars for double-rebuy at once if I lose my first 3000, and 1 dollar for add-on). I'm prepared for the worst and gonna go very loose-aggressive in beginning. I'll see how it turns out. Of course, I'm not Daniel Negreanu who can rebuy 48 times or so when I only have 87 bucks on my Full Tilt. But this is gonna be the biggest change of my playing style. My crude version of loose-aggressive style. It'll take time and practice to master and perfect it but today's the real beginning.

Of course, I hope I dont' have to re-buy if I have early chip lead and get lucky here and there. I've never re-buy in tournaments before. I played tight-aggressive and managed to "re-buy" by winning opponent's chipstack since they would donk em off easily and keep re-buying. Other players used to re-buy for me. But now, I'll be going very loose-aggressive to test my new style.

N

notears

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems to me that if you cant beat them join them...From what i can tell more often than not thats the way 50% of the people at the table is playing anyway.
LOL :) GL with that hope it works out for you!!

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I built it up to 7000. Kept doing the same thing, and then later, when I got monster hand, I flopped set of 7s. Kept doing same thing but opponent had pocket Kings and hit his King on the river. Since I figured I would be going on tilt from this bad beat, I didn't bother re-buying.

I'm wondering if that guy would've laid down his overpair(pocket Kings) if I played tight-aggressive and pushed all-in like I normally played. I think downfall to this strategy is, you run into many bad beats compared to if you played tight-aggressive.

The Dark Side

The Dark Side

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah that sucks. Its gonna be hard for him to lay down Pocket K's no matter what. So regardless of the style you were playing at the time it comes down to the cards. This time it went his way. Thats just Poker. You wont really get a good feel for how well this is working for you from one Tourney anyways. It will take some time. Just practice proper BR management and youll be coolio.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah that sucks. Its gonna be hard for him to lay down Pocket K's no matter what. So regardless of the style you were playing at the time it comes down to the cards. This time it went his way. Thats just Poker. You wont really get a good feel for how well this is working for you from one Tourney anyways. It will take some time. Just practice proper BR management and youll be coolio.

Defnitely. bankroll management is extremely important if they want to apply this style of play. They have to prepare to lose it. I have 85 dollars and even that is already high variance for $1 mtt tournament. I think Ferguson or proper bankroll management says you should only spend 1 or 2% of your bankroll for big multi-table tournaments. And that's for tight-aggressive players who play solid poker. For loose-aggressive players like my potential self, I need higher bankroll.

I plan to enter daily dollar using 50 ftp satellites from now on and then spend real money for re-buys.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am going to try to help you by being a series of fortune cookies.

I play more cash... and at a ring game the problem wit your "jackass strategy" is pretty simple:

It is fairly hard to sustain wins with this style. But it is extremely simple to exploit.

Anything this far out of balance means chips are gonna start flowing to fill the vacuum it creates.

You need to be a savant at post flop play for this to work well.

To play it well is more like walking a tightrope than driving a tank.

To play against it is like taking a nap and waking up with a hand now and then.

I am sure many of the same problems exisit at the tournament tables.

Good luck with it. Let us know how it works out for you. And thanks for the action.

doops

doops

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having gained many chips and mucho bucks from people who like this style, be aware that once the shock of your play wears off, most savvy players will basically take turns grabbing at your chips. You are up against maybe 8 people, each of whom will wait patiently for a nice hand to go up against you. Yes, you may win some hands, but soon you will start bleeding chips.

This style is extremely high variance and you need a lot more bankroll to sustain this sort of play, as well as extremely careful BR management to avoid going busto. You also need very very good emotional control, even as you try to instill tilt in others. You need to have a gambler's temperament, and ice running in your veins. And be prepared for people getting very angry with you -- probably best to play with chat muted.

It can be a very effective style, if intermixed with tighter play, and mostly utilized against the table weak links. Ivey and others do not always play with crap, you know.The important part is aggression, controlled in a hidden way, and used to strike terror.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tried playing in 10 cent re-buy tournament on full tilt $1000 guaranteed prize. I was doing well earlier today. I was chip leader upto 20k while everyone starts with 1000. I fell in love with my image so much, I was cracking up when I was inducing bluffs and run of luck. There was a pot where I raised with 35o and then when flop came out AA9. I check-raised all-in and everybody folded. I induced my bluff and was laughing so hard behind my screen. I raised with Jack 5 offsuit and flopped two pairs, I was doing same thing and I built my chips. I fell in love with this image so much, later, I was going wreckless and lost control, and got eliminated easily. I need very good discipline and have to know when to slow down and play tight. I knew exactly when to stop(when I was chip leader over 20k while average chipstack was 3k). But I fell in love with bluffs and being jackass so much, I just couldn't stop. I need to work on lot of things for playing loose-aggressive.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having gained many chips and mucho bucks from people who like this style, be aware that once the shock of your play wears off, most savvy players will basically take turns grabbing at your chips. You are up against maybe 8 people, each of whom will wait patiently for a nice hand to go up against you. Yes, you may win some hands, but soon you will start bleeding chips.

This style is extremely high variance and you need a lot more bankroll to sustain this sort of play, as well as extremely careful BR management to avoid going busto. You also need very very good emotional control, even as you try to instill tilt in others. You need to have a gambler's temperament, and ice running in your veins. And be prepared for people getting very angry with you -- probably best to play with chat muted.

It can be a very effective style, if intermixed with tighter play, and mostly utilized against the table weak links. Ivey and others do not always play with crap, you know.The important part is aggression, controlled in a hidden way, and used to strike terror.

I agree. My bankroll is barely at 90 dollars. Daily dollar itself is extremely high variance to my bankroll for my type of play. Ferguson said you should only spend 1-2% of your bankroll for multi-table tournaments. And that's for tight-aggressive players who play solid poker. For guys like my potential self, I need at least 150 to play in daily dollar and other tournaments.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

In long-run, tight-aggressive comes out with the profit. This loose-aggressive play is only effective if you get extremely lucky by taking advantage of short-term luck to build huge stack of chips. But through this style of playing, I was able to improve my instincts and reading talent. Playing this style allowed me to practice my reads on people since I was able to see people's pattern of playing. Although I don't recommend this style of playing, trying this style out can improve your instinct skills. I would recommend trying it.