Is it Sometimes Correct to Take a Chance in Tournament Poker?

NvrBlufn

NvrBlufn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Wow, I really liked this thread. Really tough spot to be in, no doubt.

Pre-flop a raise/3bet is no good, that's been covered well enough. It's flat call or fold pre-flop.

I think of it as a game of decisions, trying to minimize the amount of time I spend making tough ones and maximize the number of difficult decisions for my opponents.
The call here pre- was iffy, but you did it anyway and it seemed to have paid off when you hit top pair with your flush draw.

From here on out you need to leverage what you read the other player to be holding and stay on your toes! Pot-sizing is the name of the game, try to control the pot from right now until the end when it shuffles your way.

That is why the flop raise is so bad. Whatever you hoped would happen at the time is illogical and it takes away the chance to control the pot size.
(Oh wow, I learned something from playing limit holdem besides never to play it...)

There is no best case scenario for your raise! You get re-raised from the field if somebody hit a set or two-pair... or you get re-raised by the pocket pair overcards (even a bad player wants to win the pot right away when they see two diamonds and/or open-ended straight draw possibilities on the flop).

At this point you've invested an extra 1500 chips into this hand that you can't get back vs. the smooth call. You've re-opened the action from early position without any information about how that flop hit the limpy field.

If you don't get re-raised you will be called OOP by people you should correctly assume have your 10 out-kicked or that are holding your flush outs, probably higher draws than you too! No sir, not a good place to be.
Can't get fancy. Your risk skyrockets and you build a huge pot you may never be able to win.

If I was him in that spot I would shove/4bet to see you fold.

MTCashman

MTCashman

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tournament poker is all about taking chances, you can't win by folding. Every time I finished first I had to take a chance at least once on the way there, nice read on the guy how did u end up doing in that tournament?

Last edited:
Paragon

Paragon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, you don't reraise when you put him on Aces or Kings, as the only thing he wants you to do in that spot is to raise. You should have called it and saw a turn card, and then gave up if it didn't hit. There are 5 players behind you, but a reraise is very unlikely unless one of them has a VERY strong hand. Next time, call.