Is it ever wrong to shove short stacked with a nut flush draw?

G

Gambler47

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I played a tourney earlier today and was involved in a hand kind of similar to what you're asking about. Top 35 places got paid, we were down to 52 left, and keep in mind I don't play to min cash in any tourney, I play to win the thing, why else would anyone play? In the hand I was involved in I was in the CO position with roughly 25 BB's left. I got dealt Ad 5d. Everyone folds around to me and I make a standard 3x BB raise which I usually don't do in any position with a weak A, but since I had been at the table with the same group of people for quite some time and everyone left behind plays rather tight, I went ahead and raised. Button folds, SB calls, BB folds. Flop comes 4d 6d 10c. SB checks to me and I make a C bet, hoping to take the pot then, but the SB calls. My C bet was 2/3 of the pot, which left me about 18 BB's behind. The turn was the Ah and the SB checks to me again. At this point I'm not sure what hand he could have, so I should've checked back to him to see if the nut flush made it on the river, but I made a bad play and bet half the pot, leaving myself about 11 BB's behind. After my 1/2 pot bet, the SB check/raises me all in. I laid it down to play another hand because I felt I was obviously behind and don't like getting my chips in behind or on a draw. Looking back I wish I had checked the turn to see if the diamond came, but hindsight is and always will be 20/20.

W

wowasenotrusov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you need to be sure that at least half the time your opponent will fold to your Ollin. if not then do not risk.

LinkornU

LinkornU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your short stack is really short then it's nothing bad in showing. At least it's better than to wait for a real monster hand

J

JamesMoroski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YES IT IS

Once the turn hits youre only 19% to hit your flush so if your willing to put your chips in with a 1 out of 5 chance to win then by all means go ahead but you shouldnt even call one bet with that size stack. U need to shove preflop or fold until you double a couple times anytime you have 12 bbs or less its a shove or fold scenario if you limp in then you are basically telling everyone at the table that you are a donk and they will go after you accordingly

tARsh

tARsh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are most certainly times this is more than ok even the best line.
AKhh on HHX board with 3 unders and you have them lined on a mid pp you are actually ahead of them at this juncture.
When short-ish stacked yes once again good.
I mean not only if you are live is your hand in great shape but you have now added a fold propensity to your opponents range.
Stack and villain dependent though.

DonSifu

DonSifu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He who chases straights and flushes,
Comes in limos, but leaves on buses.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its depend ,i will only do it with OESD flush draw.

S

sixsixes89

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm short-stacked, I prefer to go all-in pre-flop with a decent hand rather than chasing flush on the turn. I don't know, maybe if I had the draw on the flop, I may risk it, but otherwise, it really depends on a lot of things.

josipjosip

josipjosip

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it ever wrong to shove short stacked on the turn with a nut flush draw after a 3X raise from an EP player?

I usuly shove when i get flush draw but with 2 over cards like i hold 98 of spade and flop is 247 with 2 spades but if it is like i have 89 of spade and flop is A J 2 J and 2 of spade i woud fold probrobly :D again depends on what are players in and how much is my shorter stake but i need to have over cards in my hand to push it all with nothing :D:vroam:

T

tj6073

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If only the answers were so easy. Too many variables to consider. You should be pushing all in preflop with most hands around 10bb's or below. Main consideration would be pot size here. I would much rather be pushing than calling in this spot but more than likely a call will be warranted.

E

emilio3645

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it can be wrong. The statement is too general though, how short stacked? Who is the opponent etc..

Full Flush Poker