Is it bad luck to win the first hand in a tournament?

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good is to win the largest number of possible hands actually need to strike a balance between hands won and lost hands coolers etc to evaluate the bad luck often complained but luck can change of side so you are always being quietly attentive and unconcerned to welcome

:jd4:mateuspoker

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to focus on the long-game..

In the long run, your beginning hand may be meaningless; I make or lose most of my stack in mid-late tourney, due to blinds.

Try to switch focus, how well do you play in mid to late tourney? If you excel at the mid-late game, that first hand, don't dwell on it, most likely it won't determine tourney results.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Not bad luck, it's just a superstition gives his part I think, but I notice if the aar or not in my next games

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I, for the longest time have been under a seemingly unbreakable spell that makes it so whenever I try to win the first hand even with aces, luck is hard to come by later on or a lot of times I lose the whole game right there in the first hand. How do you break this nasty spell?

You’re post reminds me of this riddle
An Arab sheikh tells his two sons to race their camels to a distant city to see who will inherit his fortune. The one whose camel is slower will win. The brothers, after wandering aimlessly for days, ask a wise man for advice. After hearing the advice they jump on the camels and race as fast as they can to the city. What did the wise man say?

You will have to look up the answer, if you do already know it, but the solution was very simple.

Now that brings me to your “nasty spell”. I’ll be the wise man. The solution is very simple. Do not try and win the first hand. Even if you get dealt AA, just limp in (not recommended to all other CC members). Remember, you are trying to lose the first hand. Provided you try to lose the first hand, the spell will be broken.

Also, on a more serious note, have a read about negativity bias as it applies to poker. It may make you understand why you think the way you do. Believe me when I say, when you understand it's effect on the brain, you may enjoy your poker a lot more.

Good luck.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I, for the longest time have been under a seemingly unbreakable spell that makes it so whenever I try to win the first hand even with aces, luck is hard to come by later on or a lot of times I lose the whole game right there in the first hand. How do you break this nasty spell?

Paying attention to your poker playing rather than concocting excuses for not winning would be a good start.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be wary that there is something wrong with the software, it's just bad luck even if you're making the + EV moves.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say stop believing that you have some curse just because you won the first hand. You are now setting yourself up mentally for failure and its going to cause you to second guess yourself the rest of the tournament which will lead to mistakes.

How the cards fall on the first hand have nothing to do with how they fall on any future hand. How you let each hand affect your play does.

Tbone461

Tbone461

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't believe it is ever bad luck to win any hand. From what I have seen playing online poker the person with the most chips generally wins most of all in flips. So take any way you can!

J

Jai_R

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not really

Just as many posted on the thread, it's all about that energy and belief you have. I heard that many years ago, and tried to believe, but I noticed I lost more not calling the first hand, then winning when playing the first hand. If that makes sense.

N

nolifescotty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that's what they say. I usually don't like to play the first hand even if it is a good one . I think most poker players are supersticious.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think winnig any hand is good luck.

stylebender72

stylebender72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought this is a joke but it turned out to be serious, hey buddy there is something that you really really reaaaally need to understand....there is no luck, grow up =) its may sound harsh or rude but its the truth and you needed to be told this so yw

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Losing your last hand is worse luck lol

podoloboq

podoloboq

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For myself, I do not take into account, perhaps the essence of the game is not this, but everyone thinks differently))), the main thing is not to bother, but to solve everything right!:heeeellll

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe a new rule you set out is always to skip the first hand, and then to be able to play and win tournaments? How do you like this offer?

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it´s not a good or bad lucky question, but it´s a merit question, if you play better than others you´ll win

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It will be bad luck only if you think you have a gigantic stack and start playing any two as you have AA.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands