Is it bad luck to win the first hand in a tournament?

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I, for the longest time have been under a seemingly unbreakable spell that makes it so whenever I try to win the first hand even with aces, luck is hard to come by later on or a lot of times I lose the whole game right there in the first hand. How do you break this nasty spell?

Last edited:
Destruct51

Destruct51

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything is energy, so if u put energy into that belief. May become the result. Seems like when we get big hands early or wins, we get excited. Then we start to over play our hands. 40 % plus, well 50 % too high. Voluntary chips into pot. Keep around 30 %

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have you heard of a self fulfilling prophecy?

Sometimes when you believe hard enough in something you are inclined to consciously or subconsciously make it happen. However, is luck governed by rules or constraints .. I personally don't think so. And I don't believe the celestials affect our luck either. I might suggest you are overthinking this thing, just win whenever you can.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you believe in luck you should reconsider if poker is the right game for you. Just remember in our lives we all get dealt AA the same amount of times, we all flop sets the same amount of times etc. No-one is luckier the someone else in the long run.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not believe in the "Prophecy", but I know what the "Bug survivor" is. You pay too much attention to such cases. Try to analyze the statistics (programs for collecting statistics like Hold'em Manager will help you with this). In addition, there is a group of players who at the beginning of the tournament try to double by any cards in order not to waste time. Especially a lot of such players in freerolls and tournaments on widely available tickets (for example, received for some action in the poker room).

R

Rolco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really thought I had seen it all.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is no karma just a coincidence in the game...

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you got aces there is nothing you can do, because you will try to get the most money out of it. but i play pretty tight at the star of a tourney. you got to feel the table, because there are some donkey players out there

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck.

First hand, all-in, double up = good luck.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not believe in the spells if in bad times and I've been in all kinds of situations where I put 90% of my chips in the first hand and lost and then I recovered and some odd case wins the tournament but I'm just superstitions that of the spells in the first hand:boring:

Ross McCollum

Ross McCollum

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There are probably some statistics behind this observation. As others have pointed out, many players are itchy to go all in at the start of a tournament, so more players in means it is more random who wins. So if you lose, it seems jinxed. If you win, you might start playing too loose off your chip advantage which may also lead you to feel jinxed if you lose. Superstition is false and one hand does not have any bearing on any other.

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get big

I think winning early legitimately can set the precedent and table presence that could set you up for some very effective bluffs. People have already seen you win, and you have a little more stack to back it up.

A

andrewj50050

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no but i love how in live tournaments players turn up with some lucky charm like a unicorn or their favourite poker chip or like a 4 leaf clover, i put a lamp to the side of my laptop now when i play online since i won a bad beat jackpot the day after a guy in philippinies pawned me his lamp with prmoise to give back the 300 pesos the next day, he didnt return and that day i won bad beat jackpot, it lights up blue, even thought now its very dim light 2 years on lol

G

Gr34tWh1t3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker players are superstitios I for one think its a good start into the turney :)

A

audacity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course not.

There is no 'luck' - if you explore that 'free will' and 'chance' BOTH require that NOTHING can influence any session of study?

So long as free will exists, chance has to exist.

But 'luck' is when you PERSONALIZE your experiences - when you DENY free will.

When you say - The Universe TILTS in MY FAVOR.

I'd drop the meditation that it's bad luck, OR good luck- there is no such thing as luck- unless you want to live your life thinking that somehow - the Universe favors YOU above anyone else - of disfavors - which I think - anyone OTHER than self would have issue with.

This said - on the flip side?

I LOVE to play that first hand - even if it's a triple raise - I LOVE to get in on that very first hand.

I am not concerned if I win it - but I like to take part in it - kind of a 'Hey - we here to play' sentiment.

Best to you on that second and last hand though.

A

aj43615

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just a matter of what cards you get....I just played a freeroll a little bit ago...I won first hand all-in with 4 people with AQ off...2 hands later i get dealt AA...I go all in with it....get called by someone with 10k....he has 9-7 off...9hearts and 7diamond...I caught trips with A of diamond on board...but 3 more diamonds come and kills me...

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad luck is when you lose your stack in the first hand :D:D

I believe everybody have their own superstitions that they believe are true. I myself believe the last hands before going to the break to be "cursed" for me because I had stack off in many occasions last minutes before the break. In the end of the day, superstitions are just false beliefs and you should play your monster hands whether its the first hand or the last one.

Last edited:
P

Pwohar43

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t care what you call it it, classify it or anything else, but luck in some form exists and plays a roll in poker.

vokrugdookola

vokrugdookola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you often think only if only it's not black before the flush and it falls down, sorry my bad english

D

droozy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are superstitious, go to another forum; this one is about poker and not about spells, magic etc.

P

parrudao0211

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The difference of poker for any other sport is that there are millions of possibildiades and players, making even very often in very difficult situations being able to recover that moment ... this spell can only be broken by yourself once your mind stops to try to sabotage you in finding that you must win the first hand being that in an MTT tournament are more than thousands of them, again, do not let your mind sabotage you, use reverse psychology so that even wanting to win that first hand you are able to modify this thought.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
With a lot of patience and trying not to fall into the same mistakes, I also think that you are predisposing yourself to that situation, and that negative affects you

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol, i don't believe in such things

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Of course Not. Is Nice to win the first hand, the Second, any hands and better the las hand of the Tournament: Champ.

If you play Poker with superstitious believes, then dont play the First hand. :call2:

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands