Is it bad luck to win the first hand in a tournament?

T

tuxzedo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have to say its all superstition. In fact just the other night in the Phil Nagy 250 freeroll I won the first 3 hands! Ended up doing great the whole way through up until the end. Still came in 28th for a couple bucks but still its all superstition about the first hand.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think this is superstition. In fact, the role does not play whether you win the first hand or not in the tournament. I will try to pay attention to this as I never used to, but I think that this is just your assumption). Although online poker has fairly similar patterns, I do not even know what they are connected with.

F

fastjob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm hardly going to bet everything at the beginning, I'm not involved in abusive gambling.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
:eek: I've played thousands of tournaments, but never have I payed any attention as what I usually do with my first hand. I guess majority of time I just fold, that can be even a fold due to sitting out :D So to answer you question how to break a spell, well, try to pay attention to more meaningful things.
And how you lose your game after just one (and the first) hand? You have to come to the table with the winning mindset and understanding that it's gonna be a long tourney, which means there gonna be good and bad hands, both due to your mistakes or just the blind luck. You have to be prepared and accept those thing, even if you lose majority of your stack at the first blind level. I once reached the final table in the field of several thousands though in the middle of that tournament my stack dropped to 2 big blinds :)
So yeah, don't give up after an unfortunate hand and don't pay attention to something so artificial as how your first hand was played.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The chance that the game is rigger, or that you're up against bots is greater than that you're being hit by bad luck.

Z

Zikasamaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dontbelive in that things,first hand double up and in late of tournament you folding to the moment when you have 10 bbs or less,just play your A strategy and everything is going to be normall,offcourse you cant win every tournament and get in cash in every tournament,so relax and play good.....

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play the same. Stack control is important at start. Dont go betting crazy unessary amount. I have notice people who start with massive stack early , mid game usally lose it later on and just disappear from leaderboard

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early I play a bit loose but I can control my stack very well .played four tourments recently (i used to play mostly cash)came
2 out of 344
9 out of 733
20th out of 2300 something
And a min cash. I lost a big pot then played too tight I think

grindmylifeaway

grindmylifeaway

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I, for the longest time have been under a seemingly unbreakable spell that makes it so whenever I try to win the first hand even with aces, luck is hard to come by later on or a lot of times I lose the whole game right there in the first hand. How do you break this nasty spell?

Not sure about bad luck but I usually never play my first hand - Im not even sure why I just never liked it for some odd random reason. Could possibly because it seems all the donks are just going to go all in for the first 15-20 min and just rebuy so Im usually pretty tight in the beggining and start playing more but still cautiously after the rebuy period

Lucas Isaia

Lucas Isaia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It makesme laught because when we and my friend plays in someone home always said the same. "If you win thr first hand you dont win the tournament" (its no true at least in 10 people tournament)

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hey, win the first hand it's money in your stack. A win is a win. No superstition about it. Just don't get a fat head and give it right back.

:bike:

R

Razaedge

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have heard this as well

i have heard this a lot, but I’m playing that first hand no matter what to the best of my ability if it’s a playable hand.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It is not bad luck to win the 1st hand, you just have to try to control the situations a bit, have a little more control of your own game

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
No, on the contrary, when I win the first hand I take it as a good sign. Of course it does not mean that the continuity will certainly as good. As the ancient were saying `the good beggining is half of everything`!

tazzmaster62

tazzmaster62

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont worry about being lucky
worry more about your skill
i try to win first hand

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First hand wins means I am going to do good in the tourney, usually.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I, for the longest time have been under a seemingly unbreakable spell that makes it so whenever I try to win the first hand even with aces, luck is hard to come by later on or a lot of times I lose the whole game right there in the first hand. How do you break this nasty spell?
Another good reason to late register... Spell broken, you're welcome :)

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe not playing the first leg is a good option.
I also do not like to play first-hand.

adriantempo

adriantempo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I don't think it's a spell. It's your imagination. Maths don't lie. If you have aces and good chances (like the poker odds calculator) then go for it.

And if you don't want, don't play the first hand.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hey
It is true that a lot of people fold the first hand dealt as a belief that winning the first game will give you bad luck.

But thats a belief like any other, having a good luck charm or sitting in a particular position.

I have played with a lady who had a silver coin in front of her in a tournament.

She lasted about 5 blind levels of 20 minutes and was busted.

But I know she will still come back with that silver coin and play to lose more lol!!!

I dont believe in anything like that.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never heard of such a superstition. My thought process is if I win two-three hands in a row, even if my cards are good, don't risk my stack on the fourth because there's no way the site will let you win that many in a row!

C

chiefmax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play every hand as a separate hand. Don't treat a hand differently because of the way it played out earlier. Basically dont be result oriented.

olegbereza

olegbereza

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It does not matter what account is the hand in the tournament, you should try to play each hand optimally and not be afraid to fly out in the first hand of the tournament. All the rumors that the one who wins the first distribution in MTT as a result cannot win this tournament is NONSENSE!

Good luck!

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
do not play it ajajajaj, play it passive

petshpe

petshpe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you believe in luck you should reconsider if poker is the right game for you. Just remember in our lives we all get dealt AA the same amount of times, we all flop sets the same amount of times etc. No-one is luckier the someone else in the long run.

This (Y)
Luck's like Dracula, both Do NOT exist.
If you've to believe in something, Believe in Probabilities :wink:

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands