Interesting (IMO) hypothetical WSOP Main Event situation

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not confused! You tell me this, several times and draw parallels in my game between WSOP and online poker. These are your words!

Buy-in should not influence your decision at the table, but the first hand and immediately throw all-in it's a special situation at the table in such a big tournament!!!

The financial situation depends very much in this situation, if a person can pay for 3 entries to this tournament, of course it's all-in without question! Because to miss the best hand out of 3 entry attempts is stupid! But, when you have one opportunity to enter and play, risking everything in the tournament in the FIRST HAND of the TOURNAMENT is stupid and nothing justifies it, because even if you win the hand, it will not give you a super big advantage in the game. You will be a little ahead, but the risk is not justified! MY PERSONAL OPINION!

I think, you are not familiar with the notion of rationality and the correct use of opportunities.
Do you know, why the teams in the Champions League playoff don't show everything in the first match and don't go for everything, when the game goes terribly? Because there is another match and maybe a home one! Therefore, losing 1-0 or 2-1 is not so bad!

When you call all-in and get an opponent with KK and see K on the flop or another line and you get knocked out, do you know, how other players and people will look at you?
If you save your life and show AA after the fold, you will be a hero for everyone! do you see the difference?)

There are so much poker players in the world, so many opinions... Nothing wrong. Sometimes some win, other times others win... OK.

theANMATOR, please, don't give me a description of the initial and elementary designation in poker. I absolutely do not need it and am not interested in it! ;) This notion shows absolutely nothing in the situation described by the author of the topic. Again you're writing it's not clear, what it's for... And this notion is very very strange and stupid in my personal opinion.... I've reread it 10 or more times...

Everyone has an opinion LFC - I completely 100% disagree with you in this one instance, but that doesn't mean your opinion isn't rational.

To everyone else reading this thread - the post above is the pin point accurate DEFINITION of scared money. Don't play like this. If you do - it will be an arduous challenge to ever be a successful, winning player.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone has an opinion LFC - I completely 100% disagree with you in this one instance, but that doesn't mean your opinion isn't rational.

To everyone else reading this thread - the post above is the pin point accurate DEFINITION of scared money. Don't play like this. If you do - it will be an arduous challenge to ever be a successful, winning player.

I didn't ask for your consent or disagreement on my opinion, but, what you say about the opinion of every person in this situation is absolutely true! And each plays differently, as I wrote above, and is almost impossible for one person to win 4 or 5 big MTTs in a row.

I think it's worth closing this issue between us and everyone will remain with their opinion, but other players may offer other thoughts about it.

For all the other guys, who read this and saw this concept or definition above, do not follow and pay attention to the small recommendations for playing poker ;) Real champions never play by strict rules, laws, recommendations or definitions! ;)

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
To even min-cash you typically need to accumulate something like 3-4 times the starting stack or even more, and you will rarely find a better spot for chip accumulation than one, where you positively know, you are at least a 4:1 favourite. So the only reason to not call would be, that you dont care about winning money but only about the experience of ”playing the main event”, and that you cant afford to rebuy.

The M.E. is, has always been, and probably always will be, a freeze out.

There are no rebuys in M.E..

The only exception to this is you might be able to play more than one Phase 1, day 1, but I don't think that's the case...

Pretty sure M.E. is 'one and done'... :)

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Why you guys fight for such a simple thing ? lol , better go to the ''corona/biden/trump/riigged megathread ''threads ,there you will find tone of reasons to fight lol

nowseriously . I call, even with two other players , ddon't care if it's first hand ,or if I am staked or not . It's AA for Christ 's sake.

Now at the FT or in other crazy ICM situations I do not know . But generally I tend to call

If we were talking about KK , well fold I would do personally

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
One reason I really love Andrew Neeme's Vlogs (as I do his friends Brad Owen) is they have an 'on point' way of putting things.

Andrew Neeme seldom if ever says 'aces'. He invariably calls them 'the best hand in poker' or 'the strongest hand in poker - pocket aces' instead ... and proceeds to play them that way.

Yeah, we have all had our pocket aces busted, but no matter how TAG a player you might be (and I am) you simply cannot play that scared.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The M.E. is, has always been, and probably always will be, a freeze out.

That makes sense, since people are also playing for the title, and that would be worth much less, if players could just reenter multible times. That still does not change the fact, you just cant fold aces preflop, if you want to play remotely good poker. And even less so in the main event, exactly because winning the title has value besides the monetary reward. Winning the main event can start a career. Lasting a bit longer, because you folded aces preflop, can not ;)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

50% of all online players will not be able to show anything in online poker without various online programs, that give them all the information for the game!

This ^ is incorrect.

And, when you say, that a person, who does not want to fly out in the first hand after paying a huge, fee is vulnerable, it's absolutely ridiculous....

If I was afraid of losing, I would never play online poker!

Actually considering folding AA in that spot (even if it's the One For One Drop, ($1 Million buyin) is 'absolutely ridiculous'.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

When you call all-in and get an opponent with KK and see K on the flop or another line and you get knocked out, do you know, how other players and people will look at you?
If you save your life and show AA after the fold, you will be a hero for everyone! do you see the difference?)

If they even know the tiniest thing about NLHE Tournament play, they'll know you did the same thing that they all would have done too. They might look at you and say (or think) "Wow.. unlucky man but totally standard call there. Folding would be a sin!"

fwiw, I'm calling in that spot with AA even if 7 players have gotten it all in ahead of me.
In tournament play, even great players can't afford to pass up on good equity spots. To think that one good player has THAT much advantage over other good players that they can pass up on getting it in pre w AA is just wrong.

Having one player allin ahead of us while holding AA is an absolute DREAM scenario. I doubt we'll have many greater spots throughout the rest of the Main Event even if we were to last for 6 days in it.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
. Winning the main event can start a career. Lasting a bit longer, because you folded aces preflop, can not ;)

Winning the Main can end all careers because we'd never need one again. Lasting a bit longer and then busting out before the money would leave one thinking "What if..... Why did I.....??"

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I often asked myself the same question, and over the years of playing A/A I have had to make that decision many times, like many may have commented "If you ain't calling with A/A, what hands are you going to call with"?
But saying that I have folded A/A in a tournament when I was up against the chip leader and we were so close to the bubble, it meant the difference of going home with nothing, or surviving and waiting for a better opportunity to double up or take out a shorter stack.
Playing like that I not only managed to stay in the game, but finished on the Final table and took home a greater prize.
At the time of my A/A fold, there was one person who had called the all-in push from the chip leader so the cards were turned up and I saw that I would have lost against him, so I actually made a great lay-down. A few hands later a shorter stack pushed all-in, and being on the button I called with a J/10 off, and beat his K/K by making 2 pair on a J,7,3 Flop and a 10 on the Turn with a 2 River, but the difference was I was only risking 5 BBs and not my entire stack.
Poker is a game of strategy and skill, with a little luck thrown in, and even if you believe that it is 90% Luck or only 10% Luck, we all have the same amount of Luck, so it balances out, but strategy and skill will come out on top, and it is why I play all the time and play differently all the time, in some situations I will fold A/A in others I am calling all day long!

When the fun Stops, STOP!

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
payment, but you pay with AA pair, play something else.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I understand why you would hesitate as this is your own money and this the first hand. But it´s the best starting hand possible and there is no better way to double up. You just have to call here and if you would lose, you can´t blame yourself. You put your money in with the best hand that is what you want to do.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just call and then cry or laugh.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

there is no way I am not going all in with the huge favorite. If I loose, so be it. but I love that early huge chipup.

Waleswasp

Waleswasp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great question and some very interesting debate. Strong opinions on never folding AA, however the possibility of folding on this first hand opens us up for going much further in the tournament if and when we have the “nuts”. I have read a number of poker books and articles and there are definitely people who have folded AA first hand in the wsop ME and gone on to cash.

I will be playing the ME in 7 years time (big birthday present) and hope to not face this quandary!

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA is just the probability that there is a chance of winning, not the victory itself. That is, they have more chances of losing in a multi-pot than in a heads-up game.

WSOP