Interesting (IMO) hypothetical WSOP Main Event situation

D

dpolerio

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Scenario:

You are seated at the wsop Main Event. Your own $$ (nobody staked you).

1st hand - you get AA

Guy across the table shoves all in.

Do you call?

Does your answer change if another player calls before it gets to you?

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This kind of scenario would be a dream coming true for anyone playing in the WSOP Main Event. (Call 100%)

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Scenario:

You are seated at the WSOP Main Event. Your own $$ (nobody staked you).

1st hand - you get AA

Guy across the table shoves all in.

Do you call?

Does your answer change if another player calls before it gets to you?

As always, it depends on many other context clues. What stage of the tournament is this? What is their play-style and table image like? What are the effective stacks? Considerations like these will impact my decision regardless of my cards...

but the vast majority of the time we are calling with AA - literally the best preflop hand possible :cool:

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
As tough of a pill it would be to swallow if you were to lose the hand, you have to do it and hope that the odds are on your side for this one.

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep, all you can ever do is your best to get your chips in good. Calling pre with A's, you're in good. It's no guarantee you'll win, but unless you can see the future, you gotta call there. K's or lower, I would hate to fold there, but if it was already 3bet by the time it got to me, i'd at least take all of my time allotted to think about it in a big tourney.

I watched Farha (not all in pre, was on the flop though) first hand in wsop awhile back. Farha had A,10 and other guy was a friend of toby mcguire or somebody in the movies, that part i don't recall, anyway, he had pocket 10's. Flop is just a dream for both. A,A,10. so it's bet, raise, reraise, may have even gone for 4bet, but of course it goes all in. Toby's friend had his backpack all set to make a run for the final table, he just couldn't believe it, walked away saying "first hand, it was the first hand" over and over.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play with AA in any scenario

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People think very simply, seeing AA, when they say this is an easy call...: (

This is a difficult fold! :) This is a very difficult fold....: ( I don't want to see a set from an opponent or a flush for him on the river (Suited cards).... This is a big and long tournament, so it's great to double up, but there is no need to do it in the first hour, you will have more, than one opportunity for this! :) To fly out with the strongest hand (on the preflop) in the first hand is a complete failure and it will remain in your head forever!:)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People think very simply, seeing AA, when they say this is an easy call...: (

This is a difficult fold! :) This is a very difficult fold....: ( I don't want to see a set from an opponent or a flush for him on the river (Suited cards).... This is a big and long tournament, so it's great to double up, but there is no need to do it in the first hour, you will have more, than one opportunity for this! :) To fly out with the strongest hand (on the preflop) in the first hand is a complete failure and it will remain in your head forever!:)

OK - you fold the rest of us are all calling and getting the triple up.

If this ultra passive point of view is how you play normally - please let me know which games you are playing - I want in.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Snap call and pray it holds. Sadly it would be tough moments in time though as this would probably be the one and only time in the main event. .

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK - you fold the rest of us are all calling and getting the triple up.

If this ultra passive point of view is how you play normally - please let me know which games you are playing - I want in.

There is no need to pull phrases out of the big picture. You inattentively read the author's message and inattentively studied and understood my answer.

Any player should understand when and where he participates and what he has done for this. If you are a millionaire and for you $5,000-$10,000 is dust and worth nothing, of course it is all-in without a doubt. But, when I pay ultra big money, I am fully aware of, what and how I can and should do.

Please reread and understand the full meaning of the author of the topic about, what he is asking. No need to transform this topic (question - answer) for online on micro-limit tournaments or freerolls!...

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is clear to me that call. It’s a great opportunity to have a good chip in front of me in the beginning and play more calmly. :star:
Since this is a live tournament, there is a good chance of a minimum 80% chance (with A, A) of winning and doubling (unlike online for example on PS :flute:, where in this situation you have a good chance of beating an !!! A,x !!! or 4,5s with amazing flop :eek:).

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

There is no need to pull phrases out of the big picture. You inattentively read the author's message and inattentively studied and understood my answer.

Any player should understand when and where he participates and what he has done for this. If you are a millionaire and for you $5,000-$10,000 is dust and worth nothing, of course it is all-in without a doubt. But, when I pay ultra big money, I am fully aware of, what and how I can and should do.
Please reread and understand the full meaning of the author of the topic about, what he is asking. No need to transform this topic (question - answer) for online on micro-limit tournaments or freerolls!...

I am fully attentive to the original post and to your response. Not sure what you are mis-reading about my response. OP has his own money on the line - not staked, no backers in WSOP main event. Same answer as before from me - but you on the other hand are SCARED MONEY.

I'm directly saying if you are folding this hand - please tell me what games you play on a regular basis - because I want to play against you - if you are folding AA in OP scenario - you are playing as SCARED MONEY - which was your response to the original post - and you are VERY EXPLOITABLE.

In this situation you are scared to lose and would fold - and your second response only substantiates that fact.
Scared money = fold to much when facing a raise or re-raise because you do not have the figurative nuts and your opponent is representing a better hand - and you are scared to lose. Competent players and Pros will eat you for lunch if you play like this.

And even in this scenario where we DO have the preflop NUTS - you are still playing scared - and will fold. That is the exact definition of scared money. One of the things competent players look for - to exploit and take advantage of.

Do you fold the nut flush on the river when someone re-raises you when the board pairs? This is a rhetorical question You don't have to answer.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This is an extremely hypothetical situation as it seems rather unlikely that many players in the WSOP ME would cold-jam AIPF on hand no.1...

To me that'd be a nonsensical play regardless of what two cards you were holding... :dontknow:

I'd almost go as far as to say I'd be surprised if anyone had ever made this move in the M.E., but there are some real nutters out there to the extent that very little would surprise me anymore.

With all that being said, it's a call 100%.

Anything less than AA is a different matter, but with the preflop nuts you have too much equity Vs. any other holding to fold this.

Last edited:
L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am fully attentive to the original post and to your response. Not sure what you are mis-reading about my response. OP has his own money on the line - not staked, no backers in WSOP main event. Same answer as before from me - but you on the other hand are SCARED MONEY.

I'm directly saying if you are folding this hand - please tell me what games you play on a regular basis - because I want to play against you - if you are folding AA in OP scenario - you are playing as SCARED MONEY - which was your response to the original post - and you are VERY EXPLOITABLE.

In this situation you are scared to lose and would fold - and your second response only substantiates that fact.
Scared money = fold to much when facing a raise or re-raise because you do not have the figurative nuts and your opponent is representing a better hand - and you are scared to lose. Competent players and Pros will eat you for lunch if you play like this.

And even in this scenario where we DO have the preflop NUTS - you are still playing scared - and will fold. That is the exact definition of scared money. One of the things competent players look for - to exploit and take advantage of.

Do you fold the nut flush on the river when someone re-raises you when the board pairs? This is a rhetorical question You don't have to answer.

The author of the topic sets conditions and asks the opinions of different people on these conditions, what does the author's money have to do with it??? I answer from my own behalf, as the author of the topic wants!!!

I'm not afraid of money, I don't know where you got this information from (are you taking it out of thin air??))))

I answer you again: THERE IS NO NEED TO COMPARE THE MAIN EVENT OF THE WSOP (LIVE) and ONLINE GAMES AT MICRO AND MEDIUM LIMITS!!! do you not see the difference in these games or what?? Why do you draw parallels between tournaments for $5 or $10 and a WSOP that costs $5,000 or more..

50% of all online players will not be able to show anything in online poker without various online programs, that give them all the information for the game! And, when you say, that a person, who does not want to fly out in the first hand after paying a huge, fee is vulnerable, it's absolutely ridiculous....

If I was afraid of losing, I would never play online poker!
You name simple, but far from the most effective and necessary rules of the poker game :) Most professional players are no stronger, than ordinary players if they are put in the same conditions in online poker! :) As a result, you absolutely do not know me and saying anything about me and my game are empty words, that you cannot confirm in any way.... it's simple! :) Thanks for the dialogue! :)

garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I truly believe, that we are living in an age of extreme text interpretation problems.

1 - its an hypothetical situation;
2- None of us answering or asking the questions is going to the WSOP;
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]3 - AA first hand at the WSOP, well this one should be quite rare right?
[/FONT]

Will anyone fold AA just because it is the first hand of the WSOP tournament?(lets take out any other online game just in case someone else gets frustrated).

Answer - Very unlikely. As everybody already stated here, this is a very -EV decision. No matter what explanation you have to fold this, all real poker players will think low of you. That is just the truth.

As a recreative player, NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU DO WITH IT!

My answer, I would NEVER FOLD IT! Specially if I was playing the WSOP. If I wanted to just sit down at the table for 10K dollars, I would prefer to be railing it and using that money with better things (I'm in VEGAS alright! lol plenty of option to burn 10K instead of sitting in a table for 10h waiting for pocket quads.... becasue, well you cant fold pocket quads rigth??? lol im just joking ok)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The author of the topic sets conditions and asks the opinions of different people on these conditions, what does the author's money have to do with it??? I answer from my own behalf, as the author of the topic wants!!!

I'm not afraid of money, I don't know where you got this information from (are you taking it out of thin air??))))

I answer you again: THERE IS NO NEED TO COMPARE THE MAIN EVENT OF THE WSOP (LIVE) and ONLINE GAMES AT MICRO AND MEDIUM LIMITS!!! do you not see the difference in these games or what?? Why do you draw parallels between tournaments for $5 or $10 and a WSOP that costs $5,000 or more..

50% of all online players will not be able to show anything in online poker without various online programs, that give them all the information for the game! And, when you say, that a person, who does not want to fly out in the first hand after paying a huge, fee is vulnerable, it's absolutely ridiculous....

If I was afraid of losing, I would never play online poker!
You name simple, but far from the most effective and necessary rules of the poker game :) Most professional players are no stronger, than ordinary players if they are put in the same conditions in online poker! :) As a result, you absolutely do not know me and saying anything about me and my game are empty words, that you cannot confirm in any way.... it's simple! :) Thanks for the dialogue! :)

Sorry if you are confused LFC, I am not comparing this hypothetical situation to any other lower buyin situation.

I understand - you say because this is such a big buy-in you might consider folding those AAs.

To me - I believe that is a passive, scared mentality, regardless of a persons financial situation.

If I got lucky enough to be in this situation - and I won this entry into this event with my very last dime. This is STILL a call 100%, every day of the week.

LFC - scared money is a description of a player that will choose a more conservative route in a situation (similar to this situation) because they are playing above their bankroll, or they are playing at higher stakes than they are comfortable with.
Scared money does not mean the player in the situation is scared of money. It essentially means they will make incorrect conservative decisions because they are scared to lose the money - or the opportunity they have in that particular situation.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry if you are confused LFC, I am not comparing this hypothetical situation to any other lower buyin situation.

I understand - you say because this is such a big buy-in you might consider folding those AAs.

To me - I believe that is a passive, scared mentality, regardless of a persons financial situation.

If I got lucky enough to be in this situation - and I won this entry into this event with my very last dime. This is STILL a call 100%, every day of the week.

LFC - scared money is a description of a player that will choose a more conservative route in a situation (similar to this situation) because they are playing above their bankroll, or they are playing at higher stakes than they are comfortable with.
Scared money does not mean the player in the situation is scared of money. It essentially means they will make incorrect conservative decisions because they are scared to lose the money - or the opportunity they have in that particular situation.

I'm not confused! You tell me this, several times and draw parallels in my game between WSOP and online poker. These are your words!

Buy-in should not influence your decision at the table, but the first hand and immediately throw all-in it's a special situation at the table in such a big tournament!!!

The financial situation depends very much in this situation, if a person can pay for 3 entries to this tournament, of course it's all-in without question! Because to miss the best hand out of 3 entry attempts is stupid! But, when you have one opportunity to enter and play, risking everything in the tournament in the FIRST HAND of the TOURNAMENT is stupid and nothing justifies it, because even if you win the hand, it will not give you a super big advantage in the game. You will be a little ahead, but the risk is not justified! MY PERSONAL OPINION!

I think, you are not familiar with the notion of rationality and the correct use of opportunities.
Do you know, why the teams in the Champions League playoff don't show everything in the first match and don't go for everything, when the game goes terribly? Because there is another match and maybe a home one! Therefore, losing 1-0 or 2-1 is not so bad!

When you call all-in and get an opponent with KK and see K on the flop or another line and you get knocked out, do you know, how other players and people will look at you?
If you save your life and show AA after the fold, you will be a hero for everyone! do you see the difference?)

There are so much poker players in the world, so many opinions... Nothing wrong. Sometimes some win, other times others win... OK.

theANMATOR, please, don't give me a description of the initial and elementary designation in poker. I absolutely do not need it and am not interested in it! ;) This notion shows absolutely nothing in the situation described by the author of the topic. Again you're writing it's not clear, what it's for... And this notion is very very strange and stupid in my personal opinion.... I've reread it 10 or more times...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To even min-cash you typically need to accumulate something like 3-4 times the starting stack or even more, and you will rarely find a better spot for chip accumulation than one, where you positively know, you are at least a 4:1 favourite. So the only reason to not call would be, that you dont care about winning money but only about the experience of ”playing the main event”, and that you cant afford to rebuy.

WSOP