In satellite tournaments. Do you ever fold AA preflop? I have done it once before.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think most of the time I end up doing it in sattys when it pays 5, 6 are left and I am in 2nd. The same kind of scenario also seems to happen in double or nothings.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have folded pocket AA’s on the bubble a few times it’s difficult to due but at times necessary.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is also such thing for that

When there are a lot of people doing all in in front of myself, there is also a case that I fold.

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've done it many times. Let's say there are 25 entries and 30-32 players remaining. If you are in 1st-8th here, it is a huge mistake to do anything but allow the small stacks to get rich or die trying.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've done it many times. Let's say there are 25 entries and 30-32 players remaining. If you are in 1st-8th here, it is a huge mistake to do anything but allow the small stacks to get rich or die trying.

Exactly. If you already have enough chips to fold your way to a sure ticket, its a huge mistake to take on any risk at all. If its kind of borderline, and you are not sure, your stack is big enough, then play the aces, and preferably by going all in. This is not the time to get tricky and invite action. You are happy, if you just pick it up uncontested.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Personally , if I believe I have won the ticket for the next sat or the target tournament , I would fold any cards at all , not risking my stack for anything , I have seen some crazy bad beats and really makes me feel very stupid losing in the past with monster hands just because a loose very big stack shoved whatever and I called only to get as a present a bad beat to remember . Some loose players really do this just for fun to see you lose with their crap hands , busting your monster hand :(
If my stack is not big enough , I am not at the bubble and still some players have to lose , I will call/shove/reshove :)

chilindrodolar

chilindrodolar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I the game in two phase , strong and game after all-in .!!! i can not give opportunity to another opponent i fence with hands orribles.!!!

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did it also and probably more than once. Usually it happened when I am at final table and trying to get into prizes and someone going all in. And I also had a lot of experience when my AA was beaten by three of a kind or street

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely when you have it locked up, the only way to lose is to play the aces.

kbuinowski

kbuinowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have folded pokcet A's preflop in any tourney. when i get more than two people or more goes all in

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you can reset it, for example, on a bubble of 90 percent you will get prizes, if 2 go to all the chips

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only if I wanted to reach the bubble and would be very close. Oherwise, it is a very stick hand for me!

I

IanP304

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a satellite yes! Not very often though but in certain spots where we have a good stack and almost certain to get a ticket facing a jam from a mid-small stack then yes fold. You dont get more for finishing higher in a satellite, so o need to risk ending up short stacked just because you had AA

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aces pre-flop can be reset only in the qualifiers and if you are guaranteed a prize! All other cases even 1 hand of the tournament this negative decision!

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold if I was on bubble and someone call all in with bigger stack than me. I prefer loose this hand but win the prize. If it is a regular tournament probably I dont fold.

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if it helped you win the ticket then it cannot be incorrect play.
Regardless of what happened in the round.
I probably would have called/raised or re-raised :)

0cean

0cean

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have, but only in a satellite where a certain number of seats are being given away/ big stacks involved / and my chip stack is big enough to fold to the seat.

DTMath

DTMath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me I am about 50/50. The last time I had the reds, went all-in and the flop was 3 blacks suited. All I could do was watch and hope enough people at other tables were knocked out before the hand was over. I have folded good cards just to get in the money.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good question. I would considet folding aces only if there are multiple all in players in the hand. And im talking 4+ which is almost impossible. Then your aces have much less equity than if it was heads up

P

Psycho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no way I fold AA preflop under any circumstances even if it's the 1st level of the 10k Main Event at the world series of poker. If you're that scared then this game isn't for you.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
In a satellite if you have locked up a seat already it makes sense to fold it. The prize for the first place and last place paid are the same so think of it as that last place being first place. Why risk your seat you have already made for no extra return. AA is not 100% it can loose.

In a regular mtt it depends on your goal for the game. If you are close to the bubble or a pay jump and your goal is to cash in game you can fold it. If your goal is to make final table and/or win or get highest possible finish in the game then you play this hand as it is supposed to be played.

Knowing your goals before hand is very important. You do not want a situation where you play this hand aggresive preflop and then in the middle of hand when bigger stack turns up the heat you decide now you want fold to make itm. This makes it easy for opponents to exploit you.

Also if you are playing this hand near bubble you play it same way as you do regularly i.e. you don't go limping this preflop. I have seen some players have the undecided mentality of I want to make itm but also AA is too good to not play so instead of being aggressive and looking for value they play it passively and get themselves in trouble a lot.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is possible when I know for sure that my chips are enough to get a ticket. If I have the slightest doubt, I’ll go all-in.

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WHY thats the dumbest play I have ever heard of, aces pre flop and you fold because your scared of the big stack, why even play if your to scared to get it in with that hand just what starting hand are you waiting for,it makes no sense at all if your that afraid to lose you need to find a new hobby

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I stand corrected if it was the bubble for sure fold ,I'm playing my aces unless I can sit out and and still make it other wise its just dumb

Folding in Poker Poker Tells