ICM and SNGWiz

F

farmtrill

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

I just started using SNGWiz and i have a basic understanding of ICM but admittedly I am fairly new to the concept. Something I don't quite understand though, it seems to be in some examples the correct play is to push even if you are underdog with a marginal hand. This seems to be (from my observation, I'm not entirely sure) when the blinds are high enough that both players M is in the region of 2-4.

Can someone please explain this to me? I'll post the details of one particular hand that has stumped me:

Blinds 2000/1000
Eqp% 41.55
Eqf% 39.58

BB - 4034 chips (changing calling range does not change suggestion to push)
Hero - 6466 chips holding K3o

It shows win odds are in favour of villain, yet i should still push. Is this due to the high blinds, or the fact that it is heads up? Is correct ICM at some points to push with literally any two cards?

Sorry to sound a little stupid but it just seems so bizarre to me, even though I probably would push in that situation on instinct, I don't quite understand why it is mathematically correct. I hope someone can help.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Post a screen shot, you havent included opponant ranges etc.

Also check these out, should be of some help to you...

[old links~tb]

Last edited by a moderator:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

I just started using SNGWiz and i have a basic understanding of ICM but admittedly I am fairly new to the concept. Something I don't quite understand though, it seems to be in some examples the correct play is to push even if you are underdog with a marginal hand. This seems to be (from my observation, I'm not entirely sure) when the blinds are high enough that both players M is in the region of 2-4.

Can someone please explain this to me? I'll post the details of one particular hand that has stumped me:

Blinds 2000/1000
Eqp% 41.55
Eqf% 39.58

BB - 4034 chips (changing calling range does not change suggestion to push)
Hero - 6466 chips holding K3o

It shows win odds are in favour of villainHuh, where do you get that idea from? the 'Eqp% is the equity you have if you shove in this spot the Eqf% is the equity your left with if you fold. You are in no way an underdog in the hand, you don't know what he has, Khigh rates to be the best hand heads up over a random hand in the BB. And since we also have folding equity against some bad opponants, we should be shoving pretty wide here., yet i should still push. Is this due to the high blinds, or the fact that it is heads up?High blinds, the fact that you have a chip lead, and the fact that you are really short yourself, and you still have fold equity over the BB, not very much, but if he is really bad he might fold. Is correct ICM at some points to push with literally any two cards?In a lot of situations its correct to shove with any two.

Sorry to sound a little stupid but it just seems so bizarre to meIt's not stupid, some SNG concepts are really strange compared to most poker forms, which is why, even today as im playing, i get abused for being a donk, when they obviously have no idea of proper sng strat. even though I probably would push in that situation on instinct, I don't quite understand why it is mathematically correct. I hope someone can help.

Post the screen shot, and read through the equity things in my second post, should answer some of your questions about understanding the workings of it. And remember, SNG wizard is only a calculator, to get accurate answers, you need to put in accurate ranges and edges, otherwise you might be training yourself to make mistakes in actual play.