2. Fold to all in.
It was very very bad play.

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello ... your raise with A9 cards of the same suit was good but your pocision was very bad so a match would be the best play, when a player at the table made a raise you imagined that he thought his hand was much better That your, that A9 of heart gave a little more value for the color but in my case I think I hibiado retired since not always the luck is with you in this case you had luck but for the next care and analyze better your position and Your rivals

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be honest you played incorrectly. Just lucky you are. I would not be here raise.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not sure if you had some other reads, but with less than 20bbs i dont like the min raise with a9s utg, i think your call most likely had negative implied odds... ie what did you hope the villan had .... a pair or a better ace

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for your answers guys. I was also thinking that i made a bad call. And Mauno i busted out 62nd AQs vs TT i had to shove pf with 12bb

The AQ shove pre in that spot was standard. I would have done the exact same thing.

I don't like raising UTG with 22BB with A9 suited and when your opponent shoves you are very rarely ahead, sometimes it could be a flip but most of the time you are going to be dominated.

I totally agree with Gabinho12345 here. With 22bb's you're starting to look for spots to shove your stack, not raise UTG with a hand that is extremely vulnerable to 3bet shoves. If you're at a 6-handed table, the UTG raise is a little better. But at a 9-handed table, you need a much stronger hand to raise in early position, especially given that you have two players with 10 bb's behind who may be looking for spots to put their entire stack in.

I actually don't mind the UTG raise here. It's late in the tourney and a steal or flat calls will happen enough to make it worthwhile. On the other hand, I would only make this play with the intention of folding to a reraise. Your representing a big hand with an UTG raise, so anyone reraising you is coming in with the goods. I'd probably fold this had in the first place unless the table is right and I have an image that elicits thin calls. I hope this helps buddy, keep learning!

If it was a 6-handed table, I would agree, but at a 9-handed table, your opening range has to be much tighter. If you know you're going to fold to a re-raise, why commit 2 bb's? You're just bleeding chips here and now you are entering a danger zone with under 20 bb's. At that point, the only move to be made is to shove.

Fenix7

Fenix7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion you won by luck, well by you.
But with suit we should see the flop as cheaply as possible, your raise was fine, but I would not have paid all in.

P

PokerWeatherman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Most assessments are dead on here. It's a bad hand to start with UTG but I don't hate it with a slightly more than min-raise. However,once the other player shoves all in, it's a fold every time. A9 is a bad hand and even suited you only add 2-3% to its value. Against AK you are a huge underdog. Lucky hand but personally, I would have insta-mucked preflop.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone at the beginning was correct in my opinion. As I continued down the comments I started to chuckle to myself. Don't even consider the result, Under the gun in full ring, fold. If you must play the hand for some reason you have to shove. An open raise with A9 leaves you wide open for all kinds of re-raises and shoves.Great result but next time you have to muck that hand. HaHa, Don't worry all of us have done similar things in our poker careers

R

Ricardas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice move! He had only 10bb. Also next gime try to open 2x not 2.3x . As it will
Do the same job. Most of the players respect utg open . But you played well.

C

cj2327

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A9s UTG should be an easy fold unless you are very short-stacked and need to open shove. Only time I'd play it here is maybe against a VERY passive table where you are likely to see a cheap flop with it. Once you've opened with it, it's still a fold to the shove unless you have a great read to convince you that you're ahead here - unlikely.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
As the vast majority said it wasn't a good opene from the beggining and it was a bad call after the other guy's shove..

BTW I have a question for the limpers of this thread. Don't you thing that is a waste of chips limping UTG? That move will attract more limpers in order to see chip flop. In best case scenrio you will see a chip flop , ok but what will you do if someone after you squeezes?

nutthink

nutthink

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u already play it well,u have 2x stack than your opponent with A9s... its good call bcouse everybody fold and you against 1 player only,you only risk your 1/2 chips its worth to try with A9s.. welldone

doggycfg

doggycfg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My favorite hand !! I play any position!You played it perfectly, I would have done so!

P

PeteyPablo3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have done the same.so how can and flash to catch.and flash is good):)

James_Moria

James_Moria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think, that in case you had a real good luck!!! As for , I also would not raise here , but still you won!

N

nittany182

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have just called to see the flush flop. Soon at the all in was called I'd have pitched them. You were playing the hopes of an Ace flush alone with no straight potential.

Just my ¢.02

pashkawell

pashkawell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that you had to fold this hand on the preflop.

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My opinion is that A9s is a weak hand for trying to steal the blinds over the whole table from the worst position UTG1. No idea what you was thinking about, by doing this. Probably you felt in love with this hand and felt lucky, but i would rather fold it, than raise.
Then of course you get re-raise all-in from a short stack on CO. Well you see how it easy to put you in a hard situation with a hand like that on UTG. You could be way behind against so many hands: AT, AJ, AQ, AK, 99, TT, JJ, QQ, KK, AA.. against any pair that lower than 99 you have a coin flip with like 47% to win. Honestly there are not so many hands in his range to push with, that you easy can beat. Some lower aces maybe. A8,A7,A6.. maybe 9Ts.. But on other hand, he should be a donkey to do such re-raise with hands like that, cause you showed a lot of strength with your x2.5 raise from UTG. I mean, i wouldn't do that on his place, cause it means you probably gamble for your tournament place against very strong range of hands as an underdog most times. (well if you thinking your opponent plays reasonable and not raising from UTG A9s lol)
That was thoughts about hand ranges, let's have a look at our pot chances now: well after his shove we have a pot size: 51,956 and you have to deliver 29,056 which gives you a bit more than 1 to 2 (close to 62%) pot chances. Means your hand got to be at least 40% to win for 0 EV call there. The problem is that most hands from his hand range are have 60%+ against our A9s. Especially premium pairs and higher aces, which gives you only 30% or less against. And you will be thrown to 42K stack if you loose that hand. Means it's 12BB and push or fold phase coming for you. If you ask me, i wouldn't call there with such chances and such hand. You made a loosy raise over the whole table, was a questionable move, but now when you got re-raise shove with such chances, it's time to give it up and not gambling, like you did. At the end you faced AKo with 30% to win against and got lucky. Good for you, but it will happen less than 1 of 3 times.

Last edited:
J

Jober Allan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best way out would be to fold, waiting better situations

N

nittany182

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion, I would have either called or raised like you but after other guy pushed all I would have folded, lucky you caught the 9. Other guy to shove all with AKoff I wouldn't do, I would have called or raised there.

Just my ¢.02

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lucky he had it entered 9
silly it would be if it were folded
congratulation

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great play,,,,,,it worked!!! Do it all the time:rolleyes:

Kruel7y

Kruel7y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its not reliable hand. I'd call if I Big or small blind in order to find flush.otherwise i'll fold without hesitation if its not going to flush or flushdraw

PokerNuts01

PokerNuts01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just lucky m8.. utg open with A9s is not a a smart move.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands