I won a $109 ticket to a $150K GTD! Advice?

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Howdy.

For those of you unfamiliar to my background, I started playing poker again in February and have started my BR from $0, won $1.40 in a CC freeroll, and now have a $500 BR. My comeback was after a 5+ year hiatus, but prior to that I was a successful MTT player on a few different sites.

So, my question is: Since it has been very long since I have played in any major events, (this $150,000 GTD on BetOnline is definitely a major event) is there any general advice you could give me regarding playing in such a large buy-in/field size? I understand that I'm going to have to play my own game, but any general advice from people who play in larger buy-in MTTs would be great!

Thanks! And I'll be sure to let everyone know after March 29th if I made a deep run! :)

#1 sharkscope all your opponents, know who is a high stakes player and who is not
#2 See a lot of flops early, the postflop play on betonline is insane and when you are 500 BBs deep to start there are big opportunities to chip up
#3 Play solid once the blinds increase, there are many gamblers who will simply 'give it away' and playing strong ranges is the easiest way to catch the punts

Once you're in the money, go for it. Moving up the payout structure isn't worth that much, but going for the final table could give you a lifechanging payday.

If you want more MTT tips check out this playlist https://www.gripsed.com/how-to-win-poker-tournaments#

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Howdy.

For those of you unfamiliar to my background, I started playing poker again in February and have started my BR from $0, won $1.40 in a CC freeroll, and now have a $500 BR. My comeback was after a 5+ year hiatus, but prior to that I was a successful MTT player on a few different sites.

So, my question is: Since it has been very long since I have played in any major events, (this $150,000 GTD on BetOnline is definitely a major event) is there any general advice you could give me regarding playing in such a large buy-in/field size? I understand that I'm going to have to play my own game, but any general advice from people who play in larger buy-in MTTs would be great!

Thanks! And I'll be sure to let everyone know after March 29th if I made a deep run! :)
He who does nothing does not win. Do not be afraid to make mistakes; victory consists of mistakes. I wish you to make fewer mistakes than other players and win what you deserve. Good luck in your tourney:)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
#1 Sharkscope all your opponents, know who is a high stakes player and who is not
#2 See a lot of flops early, the postflop play on betonline is insane and when you are 500 BBs deep to start there are big opportunities to chip up
#3 Play solid once the blinds increase, there are many gamblers who will simply 'give it away' and playing strong ranges is the easiest way to catch the punts

Once you're in the money, go for it. Moving up the payout structure isn't worth that much, but going for the final table could give you a lifechanging payday.

If you want more MTT tips check out this playlist https://www.gripsed.com/how-to-win-poker-tournaments#

Evan, my man! I was hoping you'd see my cry for help. :D

Thank you!!!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He who does nothing does not win. Do not be afraid to make mistakes; victory consists of mistakes. I wish you to make fewer mistakes than other players and win what you deserve. Good luck in your tourney:)
Thank you, and well said.

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play your game and enjoy don't think about money and you should get deep

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do people cash $1 & make $500, I honestly wanna know what specifically you did, it's mind blowing to me.
All I can say is don't play too tight when it's late. Those regrettable folds are a pain in the butt

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do people cash $1 & make $500, I honestly wanna know what specifically you did, it's mind blowing to me.
All I can say is don't play too tight when it's late. Those regrettable folds are a pain in the butt

Well...in the beginning (when the BR was less than $10), I single tabled the cheapest SNGs I could find. Playing one game at a time, and I'll admit, I got really lucky in the beginning. I think I won 3 SNGs in a row to go from $1 to around $12 almost immediately. While doing this, I managed to win a CC freeroll, good for $25. Even though this was on a different site, it brought my collective BR up to a level where I was comfortable playing the $1.50s regularly. I had some ups and downs, but I managed to get my BR up to $70-$80 almost exclusively playing the $1.50 SNGs (and a couple more CC freeroll cashes as well). I jumped into a couple $3.50 SNGs and also played one $7 SNG (since I was running good) and managed to do well in the "shots I took" to get my BR up to $100 by the end of February (one month since having a $0 BR).

March has been EXTRAORDINARY, mostly due to the BetOnline promotion $25,000 Freeroll Madness. They have been having a freeroll every evening ($800, $700, $600, or $500 prizepools), which you have to complete missions to qualify for the evening's freeroll. I made it my goal for March, to qualify for every evening's freeroll while making it my priority to preserve my BR as much as possible. What started to happen, was that I was making money completing these missions and getting the free "shot" at the nightly freeroll.

About 10 days into the promotion, I was up to around a $150BR but I still hadn't cashed in any of the freerolls. That changed when I took 1st/30(ish), in an $800 freeroll, good for $330. My BR skyrocketed to $500 overnight, and I moved up to the $3.50s and $7 SNGs.

Since that win, I've pretty much managed to win $20-$30/day consistently, while picking up some more smaller freeroll wins along the way. I also won another freeroll good for a $109 ticket to the $150,000 Main Event on March 29th (so that could be really good!).

Long story short, I have found a winning style in the micros to consistently add $$ to my BR, while using the March promotion as an opportunity to add large amounts to my BR as well.

It's worked out for me so far, I'm now trying to stay humble, level headed, and not get into any games over my head. I'm taking a steady approach, but a win in the $150K GTD would be warmly welcomed. :)

I might have left some details out of my "journey" but I'm typing this while my kids are playing loudly and I'm going to go join them in play now. :D:D

See you around!

Jordan

P.S. If we are counting the $109 ticket as part of my BR (which I would), my Current BR = $736

No1eJoker

No1eJoker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How you finished this tourney, are you played??

lovemiscou

lovemiscou

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hi Jordan,tell us how you did in the 109 game, and how you enjoyed it.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How you finished this tourney, are you played??

Hi Jordan,tell us how you did in the 109 game, and how you enjoyed it.

The game was surprisingly similar to low buy in MTTs. It took me about 15-20 minutes to get settled in, and I was playing my game.

I ended up losing a flip, and I did not cash.

I'm excited to get more opportunities like this, as I think I'll be able to satellite in more frequently to larger buy-in MTTs. It's only a matter of time until I hit one. :)