I won a $109 ticket to a $150K GTD! Advice?

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Howdy.

For those of you unfamiliar to my background, I started playing poker again in February and have started my BR from $0, won $1.40 in a CC freeroll, and now have a $500 BR. My comeback was after a 5+ year hiatus, but prior to that I was a successful MTT player on a few different sites.

So, my question is: Since it has been very long since I have played in any major events, (this $150,000 GTD on BetOnline is definitely a major event) is there any general advice you could give me regarding playing in such a large buy-in/field size? I understand that I'm going to have to play my own game, but any general advice from people who play in larger buy-in MTTs would be great!

Thanks! And I'll be sure to let everyone know after March 29th if I made a deep run! :)

X

xrhstos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't be scared to take +EV decisions just because it might be for your whole stack.
At the end you're trying to win the tournament, not to get bled out of your chips.
Try to identify the regs and the fishes, try to exploit the less experienced players as much as you can by getting involved in hands with them.
Big field tournies like that are heavy on the variance side, a bit of run good would be nice.
Good luck!

lovemiscou

lovemiscou

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You seem to be a good player already, I would just suggest that you play your normal game, wait for your spots and try to capitalize on them, just play it like you would play any other tourney, don't play scared, trust your instincts. Good luck, hope you make a deep run.

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have had built 100, 200$ BR, all thanks to cardschat freerolls and yeah good luck on your big 109 tournament, maybe gonna hit your big score, who knows...

Jessica1507

Jessica1507

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Nothing but at the beginning to get involved little in pots that can compromise you later on. At the beginning, the bbs are low and you will not want to leave AA.KK.QQ in the beginning some connectors with a low value to see the flop. A medium pair for a cheap flop can turn into a big hand on the flop. Good luck buddy!

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No advice from me the stakes are way beyond my online experience. Just wanted to wish you good luck!

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately I can’t help with advice, but from congratulations and good luck - you are always welcome. I hope the continuation will be no less successful than your dizzying return to poker. I look forward to reports of another success.
:ciao:

S

some39thing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would get a hud if you can afford it

umyt

umyt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if I had the chance I wouldn't miss it

det0nate

det0nate

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats on your win!!!!!
Hold on tight and just play right is my advice :)
Cheers

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't be scared to take +EV decisions just because it might be for your whole stack.
At the end you're trying to win the tournament, not to get bled out of your chips.
Try to identify the regs and the fishes, try to exploit the less experienced players as much as you can by getting involved in hands with them.
Big field tournies like that are heavy on the variance side, a bit of run good would be nice.
Good luck!

Thank you, I've been praying to the poker gods already. :D

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You seem to be a good player already, I would just suggest that you play your normal game, wait for your spots and try to capitalize on them, just play it like you would play any other tourney, don't play scared, trust your instincts. Good luck, hope you make a deep run.

Yes, thank you. I know these things, but hearing them from somebody else is very helpful. :)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have had built 100, 200$ BR, all thanks to cardschat freerolls and yeah good luck on your big 109 tournament, maybe gonna hit your big score, who knows...

I'm hoping it is! Thank you!

Nothing but at the beginning to get involved little in pots that can compromise you later on. At the beginning, the bbs are low and you will not want to leave AA.KK.QQ in the beginning some connectors with a low value to see the flop. A medium pair for a cheap flop can turn into a big hand on the flop. Good luck buddy!

Thank you!

No advice from me the stakes are way beyond my online experience. Just wanted to wish you good luck!

I appreciate that. Thank you! I'm excited!

Unfortunately I can’t help with advice, but from congratulations and good luck - you are always welcome. I hope the continuation will be no less successful than your dizzying return to poker. I look forward to reports of another success.
:ciao:

Thank you :)

I understand that the most likely result is going to be busting out prior to the money, but I'm hoping this can be the deep run instead. :)

I would get a hud if you can afford it

Thank you for the advice, however, I've tried HUDs in the past and I have more success without them. I know this may seem strange, but I've truly tested them out and I am better "HUDless." :)

Congrats on your win!!!!!
Hold on tight and just play right is my advice :)
Cheers

Thank you! That is the plan. I'm not trying to overthink this, I'm just going to play "my game." :)

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling the love, and I'm hoping this turns out to be a big score. :D:D:D

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Howdy.

For those of you unfamiliar to my background, I started playing poker again in February and have started my BR from $0, won $1.40 in a CC freeroll, and now have a $500 BR. My comeback was after a 5+ year hiatus, but prior to that I was a successful MTT player on a few different sites.

So, my question is: Since it has been very long since I have played in any major events, (this $150,000 GTD on BetOnline is definitely a major event) is there any general advice you could give me regarding playing in such a large buy-in/field size? I understand that I'm going to have to play my own game, but any general advice from people who play in larger buy-in MTTs would be great!

Thanks! And I'll be sure to let everyone know after March 29th if I made a deep run! :)

How did u manage the performance to get a 500$ BR from 1.5$ winnings from CC?

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is to be well rested and well fed. Have as few distractions as possible.

B

BDR-83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congratulations and good luck to you.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just try to really pay attention and minimize your distractions.

Good luck!

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
absolutely fantastic achievement pal really hope i can follow suit.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
supermoto

supermoto

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cannot give you poker advice since I am a loser but if I tell you to play your game and you will see the benefits.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Howdy.

The essence of poker is that in a small segment of the game, the outcome can be absolutely any. Therefore, do not be surprised that the negative round of dispersion over and over again falls precisely on your distributions from a higher limit. Yes, failure can be overwhelming and getting time after time with kings in aces, and with sets in stronger sets or arriving firewood, you can start to come up with a variety of reasons for this. Nevertheless, it is worthwhile to understand that you simply cannot control these phenomena and the best thing you can do is simply to make the most profitable decisions in any distribution.You can’t allow a banal dispersion to prevent your growth in limits. Luck or not luck does not affect your level at all, as a poker player. You just need to return to your working limit, restore your confidence, prepare the bankroll for a new attempt and go ahead. Do not let a bad experience slow you down or even force you to completely abandon growth in limits. If you show a good result at your current limit, then most likely you will have enough experience to deal with the next limit, even if you lose some part of the winrate.good luck)

teebahnoo

teebahnoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play on this level often and I jumped the queue by not trying to build a bankroll and looking for the softest spots. I do not know your venue but on poker stars I see higher stakes softer than lower stakes and I have more cashes in the higher ones just because I don’t get bombed out so often.

In any stake there’s very little poker until final 200 or so (on a 5k field) when the cashes start to matter. Until then it’s mostly a nit shove fest. On higher stakes they shove with less effective STP than lower stakes so at 35bb you still have fold equity unless it’s a bounty builder. That’s all.

I subscribe to what other said, no reason to be intimidated or anything. Good luck

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I cannot give you poker advice since I am a loser but if I tell you to play your game and you will see the benefits.

The essence of poker is that in a small segment of the game, the outcome can be absolutely any. Therefore, do not be surprised that the negative round of dispersion over and over again falls precisely on your distributions from a higher limit. Yes, failure can be overwhelming and getting time after time with kings in aces, and with sets in stronger sets or arriving firewood, you can start to come up with a variety of reasons for this. Nevertheless, it is worthwhile to understand that you simply cannot control these phenomena and the best thing you can do is simply to make the most profitable decisions in any distribution.You can’t allow a banal dispersion to prevent your growth in limits. Luck or not luck does not affect your level at all, as a poker player. You just need to return to your working limit, restore your confidence, prepare the bankroll for a new attempt and go ahead. Do not let a bad experience slow you down or even force you to completely abandon growth in limits. If you show a good result at your current limit, then most likely you will have enough experience to deal with the next limit, even if you lose some part of the winrate.good luck)

I play on this level often and I jumped the queue by not trying to build a bankroll and looking for the softest spots. I do not know your venue but on poker stars I see higher stakes softer than lower stakes and I have more cashes in the higher ones just because I don’t get bombed out so often.

In any stake there’s very little poker until final 200 or so (on a 5k field) when the cashes start to matter. Until then it’s mostly a nit shove fest. On higher stakes they shove with less effective STP than lower stakes so at 35bb you still have fold equity unless it’s a bounty builder. That’s all.

I subscribe to what other said, no reason to be intimidated or anything. Good luck

Thank you. I asked for advice and I received very solid advice. Thanks to all who posted!:):)