I cant seem to get passed the top 100 players......

puppyfeet

puppyfeet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well i fisnished 97 (out of 5000).I am so pissed.I got donked out yet again.Got rivered out with a dude that shoved A4 on the turn caught the staright on the river.(i had A's n K's The flop went K 3 A 5 2 with no flush draw)Had him dominated and yet again im sittin here pissed.I could not have played much better.(I know u can always play better but I ws feelin my game like never before)I am about done with these freerolls.There should belike a dog the bounty hunter type of crew to go get these fools and take thier computers untill the can pass a poker test.I play by the rules and the donkey prevails.Makes my feel like I am not ready to get there and when it happens it happens,and the thing is i am not forcing it,its just not comin my way.)I have my mind set on gettin to the final table in one of these and am not givin in now.Hopefully this makes me a better player out of all of this nonsense.Maybe its time for me to make that deposit,but I really want to prove to myself I can do it.Theres not much ican really do besides study up and play,play,play.And i need to work on keepin my cool,you can say its just a game,but when u love it and put all i have in to somethin and seems to be a lot more than that.Reading your responses has helped a ton and hope u guys/gals keep sendin them my way.Thx all

I said this on another freeroll-related thread but I will repeat it again here: You have to play in FR's or low buy-in games and look at them as having a little fun with an off chance of winning a little $$, and you can't continually get upset with not finishing ITM because no matter how well you play, the odds are not in your favor that you will finish in that top .13% that gets paid on bodog. (That's .13%, NOT 13% or 1.3%!!)

As has been stated many times, it takes both luck and skill to win a freeroll against 4999 other players, so don't get too worked up when it doesn't happen! (This is one of the reasons that a lot of better players refuse to even fool with FR's at all-it's not worth the time and aggrivation for such a little payout that you might win, but I enjoy swimming in the minefield!) If you are getting upset by getting close, chances are you are tightening your game when the ITM number is getting close, and the other players will take advantage of that if you let them. Loosen up and relax, and if you get a bad beat-BIG DEAL! There's always another game somewhere!

O

onbrkenwings

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As has been stated many times, it takes both luck and skill to win a freeroll against 4999 other players, so don't get too worked up when it doesn't happen! (This is one of the reasons that a lot of better players refuse to even fool with FR's at all-it's not worth the time and aggrivation for such a little payout that you might win, but I enjoy swimming in the minefield!) If you are getting upset by getting close, chances are you are tightening your game when the ITM number is getting close, and the other players will take advantage of that if you let them. Loosen up and relax, and if you get a bad beat-BIG DEAL! There's always another game somewhere!

I know this is directed towards another user but thank you puppyfeet. I just finished 94th out of 9000 on a pokerstars NL freeroll. I was running low on chips and the blinds were starting to eat me up so I went all in AK suited and was beat by AK suited when he hit a flush. I'm not sure if it was the right play or not.. but your comment brought me back down to earth and I'm not as disappointed anymore. The more I play the more I learn so I got something out of it. :) 2nd top 100 finish since I started playing not much but I'm improving

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know this is directed towards another user but thank you puppyfeet. I just finished 94th out of 9000 on a Pokerstars NL freeroll. I was running low on chips and the blinds were starting to eat me up so I went all in AK suited and was beat by AK suited when he hit a flush. I'm not sure if it was the right play or not.. but your comment brought me back down to earth and I'm not as disappointed anymore. The more I play the more I learn so I got something out of it. :) 2nd top 100 finish since I started playing not much but I'm improving

I used to have a similar issue to yours in that I'd go out around 100th, a lot of times on a bad beat. The thing is though, you're bound to take a few bad beats every now and then. It happens. If you can make peace with this, and not start freaking out about how everyone is a donk and how they're so bad, then you'll become a much better player. If someone makes a weird move, there's a reason for it. Even if they call you with bottom pair, it might just mean they made a bad read, not that they are a horrible player. People try to make hero calls. I'd like to think I'm not a donk, and I've called with bottom pair before (and been effective at calling bluffs a fair amount of the time). At the same time, when that doesn't work and you're up against top 2, you can look like a donk. Just because someone makes a bad play doesn't mean they're a bad player. Try to stay calm, and accept that this stuff happens. If you make peace with getting bad beats and don't let it faze you, you're level of play will undoubtably go up. Keep your chin up, you're doing fine.

Bengals_Boy

Bengals_Boy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I finnally cashed in a tourmey on full tilt but mit was a raaz freeroll and i wanna get it in holdem butm that will do 4 now

Bengals_Boy

Bengals_Boy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea i was buzzed after a long tourney....It happens!!!I know that the odds arent in my favor but i want to build a bankroll and dont want to deposit quite yet.I tell myself if i cant get in the cash in a freeroll then i should be in the real tables.Im just goin to keep tryin to cash in these freerolls untill i build a bankroll of atleast $30.Its not like I dont have money to deposit I just wanna pull a Ferguson.BUt i will not donate my winnigns to charity.Im goin to give it a few more weeks and if i dont get to 50 or so i prolly will make the deposit but i dont wanna give in.

Bengals_Boy

Bengals_Boy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i AM IN BODOG 2:40 PM FREEROLL WITH 112,000,WITH 51 PLAYERS LEFT(63 PLAYERS CASH)OUT OF 3885 PLAYERS.iTS ABOUT TIME I DID IT IN HOLDEM AND i DONT THINK I COULD HAVE DID IT WITHOUT THE HELP OF U ALL.tHANK YOU GUYS AND NOW IM GOIN TO TRY TO WIN THIS SON OF A BIACH.i WILL REPLY BACK WITH MY FINAL POSITION.THANX FOR THE HELP ALL NOW ITS TIM ADD TO THIS BANKROLL .:D

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea i was buzzed after a long tourney....It happens!!!I know that the odds arent in my favor but i want to build a bankroll and dont want to deposit quite yet.I tell myself if i cant get in the cash in a freeroll then i should be in the real tables.Im just goin to keep tryin to cash in these freerolls untill i build a bankroll of atleast $30.Its not like I dont have money to deposit I just wanna pull a Ferguson.BUt i will not donate my winnigns to charity.Im goin to give it a few more weeks and if i dont get to 50 or so i prolly will make the deposit but i dont wanna give in.

Good plan....I'm doing that too and it works.
Stay patient.

i AM IN BODOG 2:40 PM FREEROLL WITH 112,000,WITH 51 PLAYERS LEFT(63 PLAYERS CASH)OUT OF 3885 PLAYERS.iTS ABOUT TIME I DID IT IN HOLDEM AND i DONT THINK I COULD HAVE DID IT WITHOUT THE HELP OF U ALL.tHANK YOU GUYS AND NOW IM GOIN TO TRY TO WIN THIS SON OF A BIACH.i WILL REPLY BACK WITH MY FINAL POSITION.THANX FOR THE HELP ALL NOW ITS TIM ADD TO THIS BANKROLL .:D

Please do NOT write in BOLD - it's a strain for the eyes and you are screaming ;).
WTG on your achievement tho - keep it up and continue to work on your game.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Lol well we've all experienced this type of horsesh1t on a couple of the big poker rooms haven't we?! I'm not even going to try and work out the crazy odds of villain hitting that draw because it will just depress me further.

The question is, is it possible to avoid these rather obvious "interferences" by the hosting software? Often I'd say no, it's not. If you're playing good poker then you'll be getting ur chips well in which is exactly what it's looking for.

However I'd always say that the ONLY ways for you to drop out of any tournament is to shove all your chips in on one hand or get blinded out. If you can possibly avoid shoving all your chips in then you greatly reduce the risk of dropping out.

AK is a perilous hand for shoving with any time esp on FT and PS. AQ equally so. They will get you into all manner of trouble.

When the board came K 3 A and you see your big 2 pair and the chance of a full house I'd say think for a minute. You just paired both your cards at odds of 3 in 48 each roughly. Combined that's 1 in 256 event ! That doesn't / shouldn't happen often with random cards so my view is "hang on something is hooky here !" At this stage I'm now wondering of villain is holding 33. That would be a classic "action hand", your 2 pair vs his trips.

When the 5 comes down on the turn K 3 A 5 we can now see a straight appearing. We could now strat to think that villain has 44 or 22 or A2, A4 The assessment depends on what you have seen of this player - i.e does he bet hard with Ace rag?. If he has been playing Ace Rag hands then we can assume he's a donk and that the system at some point will seek to give him a leg up. This could be that point.

His shove at this point would have led me to believe he holds either 33 or A4, A2 with 33 being most likely.

As good as AK looks at this point I'd have to ask myself do I really want to commit all my chips into the pot. I'd be asking myself what hands could he hold that I am still beating but which would inspire him to shove all-in?

A5 and A3 are good candidates but if you raised strong preflop (as u should have done) then he has to be worried about an AK holding or AA, KK. If he held a good pair like QQ, JJ, TT then equally he has to realise he is beat with the AK on the board.

Assuming you bet post flop and he called then he must have had reason for that looking at a K 3 A flop. Could be he had KQ, could be 33 and could be Ax. Most likely it's one of the latter 2.

In true poker odds of course your flopped 2 pair is enormously favourite to anything he holds barring the 33 and AA, KK all of which are statistically unlikely. But as we know, online poker sites are riddled with bad beats and hands like this one. So you have to factor this in.

The bottom line is that if you invested the lion's share of your stack preflop and postflop then you already put yourself in an undefendable position in regards to these kind of hands. I've done it myself loads of times. I sit around waiting for a decent hand, AKs pops up and I see red mist. All I can think about is getting my chips in and looking forward to either doubling up or trippling up and how far ahead I will be and how far ITM I will be once that happens. The greed takes over. It costs me my MTTs every time. The Bad Beat monster thrives on your greed.

So, with AK (and being such a fickle hand!) I'm not looking to end up having to shove all-in. Ideally I'd like to just skim a nice flop pot with it and finish the hand there rather than go ballistic with it. So I'm not going to whack too much in the pot preflop, maybe 3xBB but no more. I'd rather risk getting too many customers than narrowing down to 1 customer and get into an all-in testosterone battle for my MTT with such a fickle hand.

When the flop comes K 3 A I'm skeptical of what just happened. I like it, but it defied normal card odds and it shows all the hallmarks of a suck-out hand. If the villain is still interested after that flop then there is definitely something fishy to worry about. After K 3 A 5 and a shove from villain I'm definitely worried about a suck-out. I see the danger of A2 and A4 and 33 and 55. I might be ahead at this point but I certainly can't guarantee having the nuts.

So it comes down to this.

If at some point in your big MTT you are going to have to shove all your chips in and roll the dice, what kind of hand do you want to be holding when that time comes,

A Fullhouse - defintely
A Good Flush - Yes sir
A Straight - Yes as long as there's no flush or paired board
Trips - Yes as long as theres no straight or flush draws

2 Pair/1 pair - Hell no

No, after all the hours invested in the game to that point I don't want to be risking the entire thing holding just 2 pair ! Even if they are As and Ks.

It's just not enough. Duck out, pick a different spot and wait for your better hand.

If you get short stacked then obv that's a totally different matter. With a good stack though and having done all that work to grow it I hjust wouldn't want to risk it all on 1 hand holding just 2 pair. Just my view.

In truth, as I write this (c-r-a-p?) I'm mindful that I've done exactly what you did countless times and been sucked-out as a result. So I'm going to think harder myself before shoving/calling all-in without a top hand and see if that helps my game any.

Cheers

WTG Bengals! (Can't believe I said that I'm such a huge Browns fan) Great that you followed the advice in here...this is such an awesome forum. And to you Skeptic,wow. Imo that was very well written.:deal: Pleasure to read, and a good way to look at AK. I will definately view this hand differently next time it's dealt to me.

S

santa fe slim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember what TJ Cloutier had to say about pocket aces. They're good for winning a small pot or losing a big one. If you start to tilt, back off. Consider sitting out a few hands. I've found I can go on tilt when my premium hand loses to some junk and then, just like you, all of the sudden most of my chips have evaporated!

Jodieblonde

Jodieblonde

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of opinions to your post and your bad luck with just getting so far in the game. I read a lot of the posts and think some of them are real good information. I've lost so many time to pocket aces and it can get so frustrating. Playing them in different ways has helped me stay in the game longer. So much depends on your stack as to what you do with them. One thing for sure is if you are lucky enough to not get drawn out on with a flush or straight. AA holding up can be real tricky at times. Bottom line is be patient and hope to hit your cards when you do decide to play your hand. Good luck at the tables.

kcfromhb

kcfromhb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We have all been beaten by a donk hand with a top pair, and it has even caused me to bubble out. That is the worst. But without trying, you can never make it to the final table. In tournaments that is the goal. Of course to win is the ultimate goal. Now, one of the things that happens to me at that point, is I find that after a bad beat, it is best for me to go make a pot of coffee and sit back for a few hands "sitting out." You may miss a few hands, but at that point, the tilt monster is looming his head, and you may go all in at a bad time. Even with a small chip stack, you may make the money, and you may get a premium hand that will double you back up. Once that happens, play the rush, and be a little aggressive. What the heck...unless you are playing in a large buy-in tourney, you wont lose that much. Remember that in the end, poker withou fun is just a job. I already have one of those.

Camperfox

Camperfox

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks!

Thank you kindly for all the great hints!

This was a very enlightening thread for me to read and I thank you all for your great insights.
I will take it into account not only when I play tournaments but also when I play my regular sit and go's.

Best wishes and may the pokergods smile upon you and grant you lots of fame and fortune!

/Camperfox

ICU2QTPY

ICU2QTPY

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
You're getting too flustered whenever you lose a pot.

Just keep your cool, and be patient.

There are reasons on both ends about why or why not to go all in with aces. Those I guess are some reasons why you shouldn't......BUT......There are also reasons why it's good to go all in with J 9....why ? Because it can beat AA....oops ( I shouldn't have said that ).

Better luck next time.

Peace.

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have found that when the bubble is closing in the game tactics change. The guys who are in danger of going out start to become very agressive and you get big bets or alls with hands which otherwise would not be risked. During this period I tend to back off and become very tight. There is always somebody who is willing to take one the bubble guys on. Unles I have a very good hand in a late position I let them sort it out. The risk here is that you lose some ground but to compensate I then get agressive after the bubble. I find it works for me.

Bengals_Boy

Bengals_Boy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I ended up gettin 5th ,not too happy with it cause i should have played better when i got to the final,but it was my first decent cash in a freeroll and was excited and wasnt prepaired for what was goin on at the final.the blinds were so high that seeing a flop was goin to cost alteast 10,000.But all in all im am happpy about my play and where my game is going.Im getting depper and deeper consistanly in mtts and it feels good.I am mainly concerend about my mind frame now.Keeping my head after a few hours of play.It is so easy to find urself slipping on a hand that ends up costing me.I need to keep control of what my gfoal is and what im tryin to do.If i can do tha and take every thing ive learned i think i will see plenty of cashes.This forum is awsome and the greatest thing that has happened to my game.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very, very good. Superb job.Congrats.:icon_salu
Time for party ? Sure......:party:
As you now see - it can be done - now take the next step - place regularly.
:deal:
I agree that CC is the best place to improve your poker-play in the universe.

:adore::adore::adore: