I can't beat the micro's

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whenever I take a stab at a higher buying mtt I always fair better then when playing a micro version? I ways bust to some ridiculous call like k2off ...

Believe me I know how frustrating this can be, I am finally moving to small stakes which I consider to be the next level from "micros' , so I am talking cash games 5c /10c and 10/20 and Mtt's $3/$5 buy-ins.

What finally enabled me to have a consistent winrate at the very bottom was learning to play "situations" and "position" and not just my 2 cards. You have to attentive to stack sizes and where you are in the tourney. Just because I have QQs does not mean I must get all the chips in the middle. This is easy to talk about but harder to do in the heat of the battle. Another tip, don't risk your tourney life against a "donk" (someone who plays 40% of hands) that is when you will get busted. On the flip side, once you have a bigger stack, then you should be happy to get it in against "loosey goosey" players. Just don't risk your life, but take theirs.

I see guys and gals complain because someone called a raise with 6 7s and they smashed the flop, the complainer had JJ and shoves the flop and loses to 2 pair or straight, or flush. He calls the person a "donk" or stupid , etc.... But if you look at EquiLab the suited connectors had plenty of equity to call. ??? I know it is boring but these are things you need to work on to break out of the micros.

Good Luck and it can be done. I did it:D

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
then dont play micro stakes but if you cant beat smaller levels how do you think that you are going to beat better players on the higher stakes

A

Anglermeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Micros are not that easy to beat. Worse players are more unpredictable and you have to make some adjustments. For example, one has many more donkbets and strange choices than at higher limits. In addition, higher variance and player pool.

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Whenever I take a stab at a higher buying mtt I always fair better then when playing a micro version? I ways bust to some ridiculous call like k2off ...

In long therms you'll win making the best decisions so not complain and study more.

sanych

sanych

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A strong bankroll and a long distance, and most importantly no fear of higher limits, is the way to success

Reh1980

Reh1980

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Micro

I already won a few micros the times I played higher tournaments I took bad against satellites, other than that was quiet.:cool:

J

jumboscampi

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most players are NOT pros

just keep in mind, there are the all in knuckleheads, the "I feel lucky" types, and then there are the players who wish to play as it should be played.

Learn the game right, and it will serve a patient player well.

swoopdonk

swoopdonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Typical round in a micro.

2 left in pot. I raise 5BB with Ac Js get a call from dumbass who has 9s6s. flop comes 2sAsAh. dumbass goes all-in. I call. turn 10s river 3h. there ya go.

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

At micros there isn't a significant amount of money in play to take the game seriously.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe if you can,t beat the micro,s then better try to play different kind of games/ or try to build some bankroll from freerolls/different promotions.

C

charliej

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll bet you've bad beaten others once or twice. It happens. Just play your best and live with the result.

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Micros are definitely hard to beat for sure, so many crazy players + the rake.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion it's not good idea to go up in stake before you are long term profitable at the current stake.

N

neafana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If you bust when the opponent has K2o, you have to understand variance. First of all, I'm sure that in the bigger buy in MTT's you are paying mire attention, take less risks and your strategy for micro is more loose.

Also, you have to have a big sample of micro MTT in order to see if you can beat them. It's very hard to beat more than 3000 people over a small sample. Imagine how many flips you need to have where you are 60 70% favorite, some times an underdog.

Also, in bigger MTT's when you enter the money, the winnings can have a bigger impact on your roll. When you cash in micro (if it is not the final table) there are a few bucks.

N

neafana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Typical round in a micro.

2 left in pot. I raise 5BB with Ac Js get a call from dumbass who has 9s6s. flop comes 2sAsAh. dumbass goes all-in. I call. turn 10s river 3h. there ya go.

You should be happy. He called your big raise with a very weak hand, and shoved with a weaker hand. In the long run you will win against him. But you have to understand that Ajo is more or less 65 -70% favorite against 96s..... You will lose 1 out of 3.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They play bingo most of the time at micros. If you play well at higher stakes, it's not worth playing and wasting time on micro stakes.

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It's like that as others have said its a bingo game for many they don't care and they are not trying to improve their game ... and lets face it ..unless you are very serious about getting better and moving up, it's hard to get serious about winning less than the price of a cup of coffee ... that being said .. play tight .. don't bluff much ... get in your value bets, that is how you will win most pots imo ... don't try to out think them, most aren't even concerned with what you may be playing and only see what they have, they seriously don't even read board textures ....

I know you mentioned an MTT but it is much the same to me at those levels, I don't think the tournament players are any better .... I was playing 5nl on Bovada the other night raised it up from mid position with pocket nines, one caller from the button, got lucky and got there on the turn for my set. I c-bet he called, board was Q 7 9 rainbow, ace fell on the turn ... I tried to induce a bluff to check raise, he just checked behind river came another Q ... I led out for a pot size bet and he called, then blew my mind turning over a 2 4 off ... some of them will literally call anything, and it goes the other way sometimes, but if you just play even semi right you should take a lot of money at these levels .. just don't let their foolishness tweak you out : )

Last edited:
D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To beat micro limits, you must study hard, and put volume, play many tournaments a month, when you've played a thousand tournaments, you'll get concluciones.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Hi,
I don't want this to come off sounding like anything negative at all.
I watched a bit of your play today while playing a schedule of my own. I want to say you have LOTS of room to improve in this game... even to be able to become successful in the micro stakes... & to be competitive vs. the better micro players. Mistakes as basic as very poor sizing of preflop re-raises... poor hand selection preflop vs. open raiser.... lack of understanding of position & the list goes on.
This ^ is actually a really great thing for you because there's just so much room for you to grow as a player & with a bit of work I can guarantee you will see a significant difference in your results.

If you really want to beat the game & hope to get better, put in the time and it'll pay for itself.

Have you read any poker tournament books? I'd suggest the Harrington On Hold'em series (Vol.1 & 2) for starters.. just to get a decent foundation in which to work from. Of course they're outdated but I believe there will be still be lots of valuable information in there for you. And from there, there's a few other gems you could check out but tbh, I don't think you're anywhere ready for them yet.

I hope you give it a go. Honestly when I read some of your posts (including ones on staking thread), I considered giving you a bit of free coaching while on a small stake for a couple of 'unbeatable micro tourneys' but I think you'd do much better by working on some of the fundamentals first.

Good luck and hope to hear of your progress!

(fwiw, when I started out online I thought I was pretty good at this game. I did okay for the first few mos. but then I felt I was just being extremely unlucky. I was playing mostly MTT's & STT-SnG's. Once I have a few hundred games under my belt it seemed I was about an ROI -10% player. Not what I'd hoped for :( I set out to begin studying more often, picked up a few great books and found myself some awesome 'Guides' to work from. It opened up a bunch of doors for me and within a very short period of time, I went from being a losing player to a winning one with an ROI of +10% in STT-SnG and higher for MTT's. And once this happened I just wanted more... & more.

Good luck on your journey!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's like that as others have said its a bingo game for many they don't care and they are not trying to improve their game ... and lets face it ..unless you are very serious about getting better and moving up, it's hard to get serious about winning less than the price of a cup of coffee ... that being said .. play tight .. don't bluff much ... get in your value bets, that is how you will win most pots imo ... don't try to out think them, most aren't even concerned with what you may be playing and only see what they have, they seriously don't even read board textures ....

I know you mentioned an MTT but it is much the same to me at those levels, I don't think the tournament players are any better .... I was playing 5nl on Bovada the other night raised it up from mid position with pocket nines, one caller from the button, got lucky and got there on the turn for my set. I c-bet he called, board was Q 7 9 rainbow, ace fell on the turn ... I tried to induce a bluff to check raise, he just checked behind river came another Q ... I led out for a pot size bet and he called, then blew my mind turning over a 2 4 off ... some of them will literally call anything, and it goes the other way sometimes, but if you just play even semi right you should take a lot of money at these levels .. just don't let their foolishness tweak you out : )

I'd have to disagree somewhat.... sure it's mostly about value-betting (obviously).
In MTT's you'll find much weaker players for the most part. At 5nl on Stars & partypoker, the regular players are actually half decent... especially in ZOOM, FastForward formats.
why anyone would call river with 42o is beyond words. This isn't something I've seen in my last 100 thousand hands so I wouldn't think it happens too often.

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found not paying off the river helps a bunch! I would always think my top pair was good when someone raises the river. It rarely was.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
IF you were interested, I'd be willing to give you my analysis for today's CC pokerstars $5,000 freeroll final table... for your hands (played & not played).. IF you are interested. (I only witnessed a few of those ones but saw mistakes in each of them).
Let me know if you're interested and I'll try to work something out for you.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you can't beat the micros where People make A LOT of mistakes you can exploit, how should you be able to beat stakes where People make less mistakes?

try to adopt your playstyle in the early stage of microstakes, this should help you to improve

RickoNNN

RickoNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cuando comence a jugar no sabia que en el poker existian niveles, pero es asi, todos pasamos por esa evolucion, en niveles mas altos te sera dificil falorear.

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd have to disagree somewhat.... sure it's mostly about value-betting (obviously).
In MTT's you'll find much weaker players for the most part. At 5nl on Stars & Partypoker, the regular players are actually half decent... especially in ZOOM, FastForward formats.
why anyone would call river with 42o is beyond words. This isn't something I've seen in my last 100 thousand hands so I wouldn't think it happens too often.

You are right about pokerstars regs no idea for party poker ... I'm in the US and it has been many years since I played at PS never played party poker ... micro regs at ACR and Betonline are somewhat better too ...

Not sure what the difference is at Bovada, except maybe it's the anonymous tables where no one has a screen name ... it's like 2 card bingo on the weekends and they just don't fold there are usually no more than 1 -2 halfway decent players on any table... I never bluff there and it serves me well ...and although that hand really describes the worst of it the rest isn't a whole lot better ....