Hyper-turbo Tournaments strategy

P

Percivalpl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it only me or do most strategies (i try to be tight aggressive) have huge problems at the beginning of tournaments (i play on pokerstars) as very often I either run out of chips because of ante or people go all-in with weird hands and thanks to luck manage to win the showdown.

What strategies do you employ in tournaments like that?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play do not wait.

Is it only me or do most strategies (i try to be tight aggressive) have huge problems at the beginning of tournaments (i play on PokerStars) as very often I either run out of chips because of ante or people go all-in with weird hands and thanks to luck manage to win the showdown.

Thank you for posting.

You have to have an effective strategy in hyper turbos. Tight aggressive play involves using the time you have to wait for strong hands. You have no time in a hyper so it is the wrong strategy.
Here is an article to start your research.

http://www.sitandgoplanet.com/sitandgo/hyper-and-super-turbo-sng-strategy.html

(luck) variance is always present and unavoidable in these formats.

Hope this helps

W

Woburn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree - thight agressive but very aggressive - aspecially with not strong players... (if you know them :) )

N

nunch92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fast structure of hyper-turbo tournaments strongly favors luck. Even with a perfect strategy, if you don't double up a few times the blinds are going to put you out. I prefer to not play those tournaments because I'd rather not just get into a shove or fold competition.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it only me or do most strategies (i try to be tight aggressive) have huge problems at the beginning of tournaments (i play on PokerStars) as very often I either run out of chips because of ante or people go all-in with weird hands and thanks to luck manage to win the showdown.

Hi There
Hyper turbo are extremely difficult to play at least for me
They simply vanish with yr stack either you go in or not
I rather not to play
Turbo tournament is the minimum I play
Rgds

W

Woburn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turbo and Hyper-Turbo are good if you want play turnament but have no time - just to play when kids go sleep :) and you have to wake up early next day.
I agree that there is less strategy - more luck, but even in normal turnament you can find somebody who play All-in with QJ after 3h play, and win ! This is a poker....

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hyper-turbo tournament, turn into a push/fold tournament pretty quickly.
I like to play them, you don't have to think that hard.

Djangofreeman

Djangofreeman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any pairs, suited conectors. I go all in with 10 bb

Maikl113

Maikl113

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In such tournaments, in my opinion, only luck and nothing else works. Play in this kind of tournaments only satellites and not more 1-3 tables. Most players go to the Bank with any pair, the highest card A, two pictures of any, one-piece connectors.

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use rough and tough strategy, but without shoving all my stack preflop for nothing... I also don't 3-bet for fun, only with high pairs or strong ace hands.

A normal tournament is 10 mins level and a hyper is 3 mins.. 10/3=3.3333..3 so I have ot tight my game 3x more then usual from the beginning, then loose it depending on my stack.

I rencently remarked that it's also the game where most of my hands end postflop or turn.. showdown don't really happens before the money.

-TRP-

P

Percivalpl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turbo and Hyper-Turbo are good if you want play turnament but have no time - just to play when kids go sleep :) and you have to wake up early next day.

You've just described my life:D

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Here's the thing:
Hyper-Turbo tourneys is 65% luck, or worst ,at first stages. If you survive these passage fields you may apply some tight aggressive strategy and still rely on some luck if these tournaments are freerolls and extends the registration period well. :icon_boun

D

dark IPA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
several all-ins at start with strong hand spiced up with big luck, only after that u can use your usual strategy

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya i don't think there's a real strategy short of sacrificing a chicken and hope that curry favors with the poker gods

I agree Hyper Turbo tournaments are all luck there is not really an effective strategy for them.

Here's the thing:
Hyper-Turbo tourneys is 65% luck, or worst ,at first stages. If you survive these passage fields you may apply some tight aggressive strategy and still rely on some luck if these tournaments are freerolls and extends the registration period well. :icon_boun

I disagree I think it's 90% luck but not 65% it's just crazy that kind of tournaments

plastilin898

plastilin898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only aggressive game and a lot of luck it is necessary to win Hyper turbo tournaments)

C

Cdub512

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In certain spots, you have to widen your range to make the correct play. Have to know the right Push/Fold hand situations. Obviously you don't want to blind yourself out. Not a good type of tournament to play if you are Mr. Tight!

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hyper means be Happy and Proud and start playing way more hands. Easy. And laugh in the face of variance.

lucas24

lucas24

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree to follow the line commented eetenor in the hyperturbo many times we will have to play all in with middle hands before they eat us blind, you have to identify tight players and attack to steal blinds, and if they pay, try to have the best hand.

Regards

Dairenji

Dairenji

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You should play loose and aggressive during the early stages of the tournament but mostly in mid to late positions so you can get better information on opponents and punish players in the early positions.Raising is my preference (a 2-bet or 3-Bet) and if you get re-raised just fold(when you have a bad hand ).As tournament progresses you should play more tightly(you should not be limping either you raise or fold) and hopefully you make the final table.

Last edited:
dzemer

dzemer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In Hyper Turbo there is only one good strategy: Aggressive playing on the begining but you must have a lot of luck to get good hand and dont affraid to use it.

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You cannot escape the donkey shoves and all-ins. When fluctuating below average stack size, take calculated flips with the highest edge you can manage. Sometimes that even means 22 - be happy to see any two overcards.

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These really aren’t that hard to beat. You have to widen your shoving and calling range. And when you have any kind of strong hand, you have to go with it. Just realize there is no time to “wait for a better spot.” It’s about going with your strong hands. There will be more variance in these because of the strategy. But these are some of my favorite tourneys because the decisions are easier.

frost234

frost234

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think in these tournaments a little crazy players are playing. Push all in with any good card:)