Hyper and Turbo tournaments - Good for new players?

A

AAbyss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For a beginner, slower tournaments are better, for turbo tournaments need have more skills and experience

Galmedic

Galmedic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like this structure when I’m already buzzing from a recently played tournament.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hyper turbo and turbo tournaments I think are not very suitable kind of tournaments for beginners. In these tournaments, luck plays the most part and not the skill of the game. Very little time is given to build our tactics of the game and to make a decision for the right action. Because most of all I like MTT tournaments, in them you can really show all your skills. There are of course people who play well at the Hyper Turbo and turbo tournaments, but I'm not familiar with such.

P

petalms2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. I sincerely think that a beginner should play more SNGs and Cash Games (microlimit) 'cause there they would benefit a little from each one.
In SNGs they would learn to play with the increase of the blinds and the bubble.
In cash games they played more quietly (no increasing blinds) and were developing post-flop play.

2. They're mostly used as satellites and freerolls, but I particularly like to play a turbo/hyper one time or another 'cause they give you a bigger adrenaline than a regular tournament.

3. Yes, it's totally possible! But in my view what a hyper/turbo tournament can teach you the best is to play short stack.
I agree 100% with Maikychan here. Hyper and turbos can teach a new player very bad habits that wouldn't be very profitable in the long run. However I agree most with they help players learn to play a short stack.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think they are good for new players if they are willing to work on the icm, but if they are not willing to study the icm they would benefit more from standard format where there is more post flop play and less shove/fold play.

teteuc2

teteuc2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not particularly like turbo / hyper tournaments. I think the best way to evolve your game when you are a beginner (as I am) is to play regular tournaments at the micro limits

Zhubiitis

Zhubiitis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont like hyper turbo its not poker but just luck turbos i play very small

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate turbo and hyper. It’s not poker in the sense it’s mostly preflop shoves and no game. The regents are much better

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say probably newer players need to stick with regular speed tournaments, maybe mix in a few turbos here and there to get used to them. Hypers and turbos take a lot of studying that most new players haven't done.

It's still poker, just maybe not the poker you're used to and I would argue it takes more skill than reg speed mtts because you can't just wait on hands you have to make things happen when you are not only playing against your opponents, but the clock and increasing blind levels as well.