Hyper and Turbo tournaments - Good for new players?

O

OhThatDude

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As a new player I regularly don't feel uncomfortable playing in the tournaments where blinds increase really quickly. It always feels like every player is forced to use a very aggressive and loose style to ensure that they have enough chips to cover the blinds.

I had a few questions about new players participating in these types of tournaments and whether it contributes to their learning.

- Should new players stick to the normal tournament formats where the levels are longer?
- Are hyper and turbo tournaments primarily used to catch a satellite ticket to a bigger tournament?
- Is it possible to still learn good strategy when forced to use this loose and aggressive style of play?

Thanks in advance

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. I sincerely think that a beginner should play more SNGs and Cash Games (microlimit) 'cause there they would benefit a little from each one.
In SNGs they would learn to play with the increase of the blinds and the bubble.
In cash games they played more quietly (no increasing blinds) and were developing post-flop play.

2. They're mostly used as satellites and freerolls, but I particularly like to play a turbo/hyper one time or another 'cause they give you a bigger adrenaline than a regular tournament.

3. Yes, it's totally possible! But in my view what a hyper/turbo tournament can teach you the best is to play short stack.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that hyper or regular turbos can set beginner players up for failure. unless, they plan on playing only those in the future. Playing with these ranges and LAG can get beginners in the mindset that this is how you should always play even when in normal blind structured mtts.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should new players stick to the normal tournament formats where the levels are longer?

First off, a new player needs to understand that cash games and tournaments are completely different beasts and that stack sizes/blinds play a huge role in tournament play. That being said, I believe a more standard tournament would benefit a new player better than a turbo. With a more standard tournament, it's easier to recognize the different phases of the tournament and see how play needs to be adjusted to each. I think playing in turbos could get a new player into bad habits because of the need to make risky plays early on.

Is it possible to still learn good strategy when forced to use this loose and aggressive style of play?

Sure. If a beginner wants to be a good tournament player, they are going to need to learn hyper aggressive play. So, playing a turbo could certainly help. Knowing how to play a short stack well is what got me my 2 tournament cashes and nearly a 3rd cash. But again, they shouldn't necessarily expect to use this type of play at a cash game and win big.

well_cap1302

well_cap1302

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the turbo tournament you can still learn something, since hyper is more a matter of luck than strategy.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All formats of poker have an ability to teach something.

Personally, I find Turbo tournaments very frustrating. They are essentially a shove-fest, and poker skill does not play a big role. If everyone is playing to shove their stack the first time they have premium hand, then a Turbo is primarily a luck based game - who gets the best hand at the right time.

So playing these as a beginner may do nothing but set up some very bad habits. Even an aggressive style must use some discretion.

O

OhThatDude

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the insights

2. They're mostly used as satellites and freerolls, but I particularly like to play a turbo/hyper one time or another 'cause they give you a bigger adrenaline than a regular tournament.

Personally, I don't enjoy it. I like to be able to wait for a good hand but feel under pressure to build a stack that will last.

I think that hyper or regular turbos can set beginner players up for failure. unless, they plan on playing only those in the future. Playing with these ranges and LAG can get beginners in the mindset that this is how you should always play even when in normal blind structured mtts.
That's exactly what I dislike. At the moment I'm trying to solidify a good range and memorize it all. This is very difficult with the hyper structure.

First off, a new player needs to understand that cash games and tournaments are completely different beasts and that stack sizes/blinds play a huge role in tournament play. That being said, I believe a more standard tournament would benefit a new player better than a turbo. With a more standard tournament, it's easier to recognize the different phases of the tournament and see how play needs to be adjusted to each. I think playing in turbos could get a new player into bad habits because of the need to make risky plays early on.
Thanks for this suggestion. I did try a bigger standard structure tournament today via a satellite and felt like I learned a lot from sitting through to 300/150. I think that I will play a few more of these tournaments if I can play for cheap via a satellite.

Personally, I find Turbo tournaments very frustrating. They are essentially a shove-fest, and poker skill does not play a big role. If everyone is playing to shove their stack the first time they have premium hand, then a Turbo is primarily a luck based game - who gets the best hand at the right time.
I've actually been playing more turbo and I find these levels aren't too bad. Every 5 minutes or so. I think it's hyper that I find frustrating.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Tournaments with quick blinds are exciting too, but they need the factor of luck more. I play them but in a less ratio than others. I think the same is for new or more experience players.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a new player I regularly don't feel uncomfortable playing in the tournaments where blinds increase really quickly. It always feels like every player is forced to use a very aggressive and loose style to ensure that they have enough chips to cover the blinds.

I had a few questions about new players participating in these types of tournaments and whether it contributes to their learning.

- Should new players stick to the normal tournament formats where the levels are longer?
- Are hyper and turbo tournaments primarily used to catch a satellite ticket to a bigger tournament?
- Is it possible to still learn good strategy when forced to use this loose and aggressive style of play?

Thanks in advance

Stick to normal tournaments where you have time to think a play selective hands, hyper turbo forces all in lick.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you like fast tournaments, it's the best. Here you can learn the game with little chips,
which is the most difficult and the most important tournament poker in my opinion.
However, here are many more experienced players,which can be a disadvantage as a beginner.
If you go well and love to play, do not think about switching.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been playing poker a long time and when I put my money on the table I want to have the best chance of winning so I tend to stay away from turbo tournaments. They just force you to get in on the action. It takes more luck than skill to win them.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think that new players who want to play hyper and turbo should start with SNG to define strategies or game forms, also so that they adapt a bit to this type of games, for a new player it would be difficult to enter for the first time a tournament without having a strategy or a bit of practice in that kind of tournaments, I think that if it is possible to continue learning, by nature people learn something every day, even if it is minimal but you learn

H

havealittlefaith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice Hyper's and Turbo's in the SNG streets first to get a better understanding of shove/fold ranges.

Galmedic

Galmedic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing a Variety of games is the best way to learn poker. Every table is so different

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hyper Turbos and Turbos can be a lot of fun,but variance is huge and you need a lot of luck

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't recomend hypers and turbos to starters

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't recommend for dummies. Hyper Turbo SNGs are fastest and most aggressive SNGs. However, I recommend studying strategies for Hyper Turbo. You need to be constantly aware of your performance. Check yourself. Be aware of your mental condition. Make a confortable bankroll and good lucky!

Justin Bloomquist

Justin Bloomquist

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is a bad idea for people to play hyper and turbo tournaments when they are first getting into poker because it might put you in the habit of developing bad poker strategy.

A

ATruRube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're always playing cash game or reg tournament and never played a turbo/hyper game, you will be totally frustrated when you do enter one. They are exciting and fun to play and your focus has to be keen and your luck brilliant. Play the micro hyper tournaments or SNGs. Lose a few bucks and get a feel for the aggressive side of poker.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don't feel uncomfortable playing fast blinds, I say go for it. You'll get a better idea about preflop play in a tournament. Also you'll discover how to use preflop raises to take down the blinds.

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
In my one year playing poker I think this hyper turbo tournaments are just to fast for you to apply strategy but like one of the comments I've read it could help you to improve your push or fold strategy but there Are programs that can help you with it ... I only play them if they're free or very low cost and very good price kind like a slots machine or something... For example in 888poket you always get free tickets for this type of mtt and you could win like 50 or 60 USD if you reach first and sometimes 20 to 80 cents just to reach ITM but mostly of times is just luck

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think for beginners, it is better to play tournaments with normal speed, when they have already mastered this type can start playing tournaments turbo or hyper turbo.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think a new player should try first to find some experience and knowledge before venturing into turbo and hyper tournaments, the sng is not a bad idea to start a bit, of course a sng I do not think it can be compared 100% with a tournament, but it can help a little

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I watched the streams of professional players and they all say that we need to start with regular tournaments because they have less depression than turbo and hyper turbo tournaments !!!

X

xbursonicx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
questions about new players participating in these types of tournaments and whether it contributes to their learning

There is a lot of turbos/hypers in any poker room, and in terms of strategies applied there such tourneys are fiefdom of their own. So there is no question whether playing there contributes to learning - because at the very least players learn how to play this type of tourneys. If you are asking if it contributes to learning how to play in "normal" tourneys then the answer will still be yes as any player has to learn basic stuff which is common for all tourneys.

Imo turbos/hypers suit new players better than normal tourneys because not every player is able to endure playing for many hours from the start. And if new player doesn't get ITM after hours of play it can very frustrating which may cause him to give up. In that respect turbos/hypers strike a much better balance.