Hyper-Turbo Strategy- How tight/loose, passive/aggressive?

S

SlimmBanditt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hyper-turbo PKO's

(on ACR= 3 minute blinds)

• Do you adjust your strategy at all compared to normal speed tournaments?
  • How so?
  • More passive or aggressive?
  • Do you play it tighter or loosen up, since time is so limited?
  • Or do you play it like you would any other tournament?
  • I tend to play more aggressive but stay pretty tight unless my M-ratio hits the red zone.. and I've made a few final tables recently with this strategy.
  • Just curious what others' opinions are on the topic...
  • Leave yours in the comments below if you like..
Thanks for reading and good luck at the tables!

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hyper-turbo PKO's

(on ACR = 3 minute blinds)

• How so?
  • I tend to play more aggressive but stay pretty tight unless my M-ratio hits the red zone.. and I've made a few final tables recently with this strategy.
DO NOT CHANGE THE STYLE AT EARLY LEVELS (TIGHT GAME PREFERRED AT ALL) With a deep starting stack, you can take the same approach as in regular multi-table tournaments. The blinds and antes are too small to steal; What's more, get the bonuses of playing rigorously early on in the early stages by building a tight image. You can force your opponents to fold after you widen your range by stealing blinds and antes.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I listen to the word hyper, aggression immediately awakens in me)))

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I can't see the point of playing tight here....by the time you get dealt your magic hand, your stack will be too small to do anything with

L

LosJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the buy-in. But when I get a hand, I play aggressively. The point of playing tight is in my opinion, that your opponents will chose their playing hand wisely, too.

When I play hyper turbo, I choose even lower buy ins, because in this tournaments are a lot of flips, so I need more tries to get a stack

weralomos

weralomos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, the faster the game goes, the more you need to expand the range and pressure on players weaker than you

Pawlowski

Pawlowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aggressive specially beginning of the tour...

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
In the first levels I play as I would play any other tournament, as I progress I change the way I am playing a bit, I may play a little more aggressive, but it also depends on how aggressive they are playing at the table where I am, I have always thought that these types of tournaments have more tendency to aggressive play than to passive because of the rapidity of the blinds

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, it is the craziest combination. hyper and KO. on micro, low level, good because lot of fun players are there, but can be annoying when they beat you again and again in allins with 80-20% preflop chance for you.

Personally play it in different rooms, where max 1 rebuy allowed. Always very late reg, don't change much in my game, as i start short stack with max 20-25BB so most of the time it is push/fold. Not bad, as plenty people there, have no clue about positions&hand ranges&what hands worth to push, especially call/reraise.....

On ACR better if you count with 2-4 buyins for 1 tourney, as if i know well there is an unlimited rebuy option. so better try to build a 6-8 times starting stack until end of rebuy, after easy to steal the blinds (what counts a lot) + take down the shortstack bounties. And the first target always the FT from the beginning, not only the ITM.

Anyway, in hyper you should multiply the variance by 4-8 times, necessary buyins in certain level, too.

Otherwise, i never play hyper KO, only hypers, that's enough crazy sometimes itself, maybe i go and watch some hyper KOs, how insane it is.....

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hyper turbo tournaments definitely have to play more hands and play them much more aggressively due to the structure of the tournament they are much more dispersive than regular tournaments

S

SlimmBanditt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Update: Thanks for all the advice, apparently some of it worked!

So just an update,

I had a pretty good couple runs shortly after asking for and receiving you guys' advice. Not exactly sure how much I altered my strategy, but I did agree with some of the suggestions and I'm sure I retained some of it that resonated with me the most.

I made my second and third final tables (ever) this week- won the first of the week and finished second the other (the difference between prizes for 1st and 2nd was so irrelevant I shoved immediately after the 3rd place player busted on the 2nd place finish).

So I just wanted to say thank you guys and I appreciate the help and time invested.

I hope we all run as well on the next one!

Thanks A lot!

S

SlimmBanditt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, it is the craziest combination. hyper and KO. on micro, low level, good because lot of fun players are there, but can be annoying when they beat you again and again in allins with 80-20% preflop chance for you.

Personally play it in different rooms, where max 1 rebuy allowed. Always very late reg, don't change much in my game, as i start short stack with max 20-25BB so most of the time it is push/fold. Not bad, as plenty people there, have no clue about positions&hand ranges&what hands worth to push, especially call/reraise.....

On ACR better if you count with 2-4 buyins for 1 tourney, as if i know well there is an unlimited rebuy option. so better try to build a 6-8 times starting stack until end of rebuy, after easy to steal the blinds (what counts a lot) + take down the shortstack bounties. And the first target always the FT from the beginning, not only the ITM.

Anyway, in hyper you should multiply the variance by 4-8 times, necessary buyins in certain level, too.

Otherwise, i never play hyper KO, only hypers, that's enough crazy sometimes itself, maybe i go and watch some hyper KOs, how insane it is.....

I normally late reg to standard tournaments, but PKO I like to play from the start because the of the disadvantage of being so much shorter stacked in a game so apt to induce shoves from big stacks attacking bounty prizes.

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love turbos, but don't play hyper turbos. The implied odds are not there which makes my style of play not very profitable. I make lots of small bets with a variety of hands.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is quite possible to win in turbo tournaments, but due to their transience, you will need a little more luck for this than in standard SnG tournaments. This is so, because most of the time you will be playing on the strategy of short stacks, which means that most of the decisions you make will be in the push-fold format.

There is not a lot of space for post-flop play in these tournaments, and after the first few rounds you will hardly play post-flop, because by this point you will most likely be in All-In. In short, a good strategy for playing poker turbo tournaments will be a high-quality selection of starting hands and suitable moments for the all-in. It may not be very pleasant to risk all your chips so often, but this is the only way that can lead to success in games of this format.

Of course, you will have to experience all the delights of variance in these games, and therefore you should not expect quick results after a couple of tournaments played. You will need to play a very large number of such games in order to consistently win money, and therefore get used to fairly large fluctuations if you decide to play turbo tournaments on a regular basis.

S

SlimmBanditt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Update: Results

I thought I'd share my results graph.

After I posted yesterday, I finished 6th last night and then 4th tonight in the game I've been playing in pretty consistently. I realize luck/variance is most definitely a factor, and I agree with a lot of other points several of you made about the game type/speed and the disadvantages inherent due to the combo.

TBH, the only reason I started playing this particular tournament pretty much daily is the time that it runs every night is scheduled perfectly for my downtime at work. It is the perfect duration to not interfere with my job and it's a cheap enough buy-in that it won't upset me too terribly if something comes up and I have to be AFK and end up blinding out or whatever.

Anyway, here's my graph since I originally posted my request for advice.

(I realize it is much too small a sample size to use basically for anything practical, and that there is likely no accounting for variance except where it worked in my favor over this sample, just wanted to show my results from the specific game type I asked about from the time I originally asked).

It's a $2.00 buy-in, BTW.

Thank you all again!

Attachments

• PokerTracker Results Graph.png
    PokerTracker Results Graph.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 10
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Make adjustments based on stack sizes (not just our own)
and
Make adjustments to the other players on your table.

It wouldn't hurt to study shove/fold ranges, 3B re-steal range & good 'spots' to re-steal (typically vs. other LP steals & when we have Fold equity).
Study equity & EV and do lots of off table studying ie. running hands/spots to calculate what we need to call off ai's (ie. we raise in CO, SB re-steal shoves on 15 to 20bb eff. stacks... what ranges do we put them on in 'this spot' and what equity to we need to make the call?

Study ICM

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I thought I'd share my results graph.

After I posted yesterday, I finished 6th last night and then 4th tonight in the game I've been playing in pretty consistently. I realize luck/variance is most definitely a factor, and I agree with a lot of other points several of you made about the game type/speed and the disadvantages inherent due to the combo.

TBH, the only reason I started playing this particular tournament pretty much daily is the time that it runs every night is scheduled perfectly for my downtime at work. It is the perfect duration to not interfere with my job and it's a cheap enough buy-in that it won't upset me too terribly if something comes up and I have to be AFK and end up blinding out or whatever.

Anyway, here's my graph since I originally posted my request for advice.

It's a $2.00 buy-in, BTW.

Thank you all again!

Hey awesome results! WTG!!

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
In my opinion If YOure playing a hyper turbo You need to double up couple of times, so i would playing a LAG style at start, because weve got a lot of weak players, and we can make a pressure on them, and hit some straight draws, flush draws, or two pairs, sets and other things :p That would be easier for us crack someone Aces, kings or any premium hands also AK :p

S

SheldonMS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I increase aggressiveness a lot in late positions.
In early positions only with the top of the range

Q

Quikcue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Hyper-turbo PKO's

(on ACR= 3 minute blinds)

• How so?
In this type of tournament my range is wider take as many cheap flops as possible and adjust bets accordingly. Throw out feelers for any takers. As the ante and blinds increase . I tighten my range and shove ridicously . If my stack begins to decrease B4 I can't make blind I ll wing it all. In hoping all will go in giving one last chance to compete .

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its an icm test, use a icm tool like sngwiz or Icmizer to practice.

Q

Quikcue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I can't see the point of playing tight here....by the time you get dealt your magic hand, your stack will be too small to do anything with
Agree your stack will disappear if you don't play. Waiting will only hurt your chances of staying in a good pot.