Hyper-Turbo Sngs

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the play's the same but 1.50 6max hypers are gonna be lol donkfests, so they're easy to play in general.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
For the 6-player hypers, in the first couple of hands if there is a raise and a shove before it gets to you, and you have something like 22 up to 55, would you call?

I've folded low pairs twice recently when this has happened and would have won in the end over AKo, AJs and AQo, A8s but I'm concerned about calling in a 3 way pot with a low pair when there may very well be a higher pocket pair out there. Would the chance of tripling up be worth a call anyway? odds calculator pre-flop 3-handed with 22, AKs, AQs gives 39%, 35%, 22% chances respectively but of course if somebody turns over 99 or QQ you're down to hoping for a miracle.

More simply put, is it ever correct to fold ANY pocket pair in one of these games?

Last edited:
TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
think its player dependent, but i believe calling with 2betters in front would be a mistake with such weak hands

what can u put them on ace rag, broadways, or higher pairs? with 2 players u would pretty much be getting it in bad every time

olliejjc16

olliejjc16

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
early in these i'd fold a lot of decent hands to two all in raises, mainly because your equity in the prizepool goes up just by one player knocking another out, however this is for 6 max hyper sattelites where the payout is flatter and you can be slightly more risk adverse than in a normal 6 max hyper

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the 6-player hypers, in the first couple of hands if there is a raise and a shove before it gets to you, and you have something like 22 up to 55, would you call?
Yeah. I mean, if I have 22 then PPs are like 20% of a donk's shoving range so vs two people I'm good half the time.

F

Fanch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok all , the hypers are not working for this challenge. Are there any other ideas?
Balance is $12 on pokerhost. $1 DoNs? $1 plo8 sngs? micro plo/8?

Abedin120

Abedin120

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play on pokerhost, but if there have double-up sit&go you can play that.
If there aren't double-up sit&goes than you can try on sit&goes with max 18,27 or 45 players. Those tournaments are good because if you win in one of those, you will get really good prize. From ten times I am sure that you will be at lest 2 times in the first 3 players.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a vacuum, open-jam any two Broadway and any PP. If you're in a laggy game (standard), merge your range by adding Ax and K8/Q8/J8. If you're in a tight game (uncommon), polarize your range to AT+, Axs (the most marginal hands in this range but you're mostly relying on the Ace blocker adding fold equity), suited Broadways, PPs, and then suited connectors 54 and up. The objective at all times is to avoid domination as much as possible.

Call ship with more or less the same range as you ship yourself (possibly just narrow it to ATB and PPs if it makes you feel safer) vs lags, and call ship almost none at all vs nits and passive sations that call a lot but never bet (I could call with TT+/AT+/KQ, but depending on how nitty they are I might honestly just call with QQ/AK).

You can probably get away with playing shovebot to the end, but I like getting fancy towards the end when I usually have about 20-ish BB and some maneuvering room. At the bubble they get REALLY nitty very often to where you could just minraise steal a ton, and even see flops if it strikes your fancy. By the flop, however, you almost always have to make a decision -- jam or give up. If the board missed my villain's range or his range is so wide it misses every flop often, I often jam exploitatively because they're almost never gonna call two overs where they might have called two random Broadways preflop, and I just gave myself some extra $$$ to take down.

And most importantly, NEVER play with junk no matter how bad your opponents are. The worst hands you can get away with having usually are ragged Kings because they have high-card value (I almost never bother with any K rag lower than like K7 though).

This is about the best advice you can get playing these. I play a lot of them and the only caveat I can add here is as the buyins go up generally so does the level of play. Anything under a $5 buyin have pretty bad players. Also I don't play low PPs. Don't look at what could have been. That will drive you crazy. Here is a quick guide for hand comparisions. This might help you out.

http://www.texasholdem-poker.com/preflop_hand_comparisons

These HTs can be pretty profitable if you follow Aleksei's advice. I use them to build a quick bankroll to lose in ring games:p .

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lots of bad and good about hyper turbos, for me i would only recommend playing heads up and also have a deep bankroll to handle swings, hyper turbos require a lot of skill in my opinion in the long term and generally you will need to find fish who are willing to rematch with you that you can then beat most of the time, in my experience though these games variance is crazy so if you cant handle that then dont play hyper turbos