(How) would you play this hand?

A

Amatsu_H

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi! Would you play this hand? These are the kind of hands I have trouble with deciding whether I should call, raise or fold.

I think that is an easy fold:

-Not suited connector (would still be a really hard call)
-2:1 pot odds
-You said that the min raiser was kind of tight
-Two players to call after you which they can re-raise (don't think you can call that)
-Your stack is on the small side & two players cover you with their stack and the other has a similar stack
-I do not think that hand plays well post flop most of the times
-Unless you were the last to call and it is multi-way entry than maybe a call to try and get lucky with pot odds but again not the case
-I also see that blinds look to be increasing in 1 min? so better play it safe now that you can kind of wait for better cards to try and double up

Great to hear that you folded! :)

There are times when we might want to play suited connectors. This is not such a time and your hand is also not suited connectors. What would you hope to catch on the flop with this hand? A flush? A straight? A flush is certainly possible but then you have to worry that someone else might have made a bigger flush. A straight would have been more probable if you had say 78s. As is you might catch one but the odds are not in your favor at all.

So when do we play suited connectors? When we are in late position (like you were) and a few people already entered the pot before us we might call because we are getting great pot odds to do so and our hand has some possibility. Or when the action is folded to us we might raise with a 78s holding to take the blinds.

In this situation you are not getting good enough pot odds to call. There are 1680 chips in the pot and you will have to pay 800 to see the flop if neither of the blinds wake up with a big hand behind you. So you're getting only 2:1 pot odds.

Let's weigh up all the negatives of our hand and then the positives. This is assuming that the blinds call as well since they will get good pot odds to call with just about anything.

Negatives -

* We might miss the flop completely - Very Likely.
* We might hit a flush but someone else might have a bigger flush - Possible.
* We might hit a flush but someone else might outdraw us for a bigger flush - Possible.
* We might hit top pair and someone else might have a better pocket pair - Possible.
* We might hit top pair and someone else might hit the same top pair with a better kicker - Possible.
* We might hit top pair and someone else hits a set - Possible.

Positives -

* We might hit a flush with no other flushes around - Possible.
* We might hit the nut straight - Unlikely.
* We might hit a set or a boat - Unlikely.

So looking at this what do you think the correct play should be given 2:1 pot odds?

Dude, I love your insights, seen them on various posts now, really thorough thinking. I immediately thought of 2-3 same things as you so here's hoping that I am at least getting basics right xD

Would like to here from you when I post my hands for analysis, keep it up!

Hello no doubt I would have reopened the bet since we have position on the table, and if this did not work I would raise the bet in the middle of the pot, if our opponent persists and equals instead of raising the bet would go all in to force him to Match my bet or withdraw. Since if I did not raise my continuation bet is because he is waiting to complete his hand and this would pressure him enough. I hope you serve luck on the tables.

I think that is playing really aggro, he mentioned that the player that min raised was a little on the tight side (so he probably has a better hand pre), you have two callers behind, you have 2:1 pot odds, and two players cover your stack.

Now if you have been that aggro on the tourney and getting away with it, than unless they are super tight they will fold, or they say "this guy has been firing with a very wide range most of the time, and call you to bust you or to make you loose a lot.

If you raise kind big and because of this image they call and you miss, you will have to be committed most of the time and will get you bust.

But if you are successful that aggro than maybe I should too :p

Last edited:
wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Definitely fold . But there is also another way . When your intuition prompted you to play this hand . And even then it all depends on luck !

S

Supmargy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Some of them were really insightful! I learn something every day on this forum.

I started playing a few weeks ago, and now that I've got an extra couple of days of play of experience, I wouldn't have hesitated to fold this hand.

I had heard of the term "suited connectors" and wasn't sure what it meant. I thought 58, although having a gap, would fall under that category. That's why I wasn't sure of calling/raising.

There is some argument to be had for playing suited connectors in this spot, depending on what kind of people are on the table.

On a side note, if the first raiser hadn't been there and just folded, I'd dare to raise it to steal the blinds, since we were so late in the tourney.

dgospa

dgospa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of time i would fold! Maybe sometimes i would limp or3bet(not smart thing to do).

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
well, Gator already double and still 2 players to bet so, better Fold and wait for a better chance. :deal:

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Some of them were really insightful! I learn something every day on this forum.

I started playing a few weeks ago, and now that I've got an extra couple of days of play of experience, I wouldn't have hesitated to fold this hand.

I had heard of the term "suited connectors" and wasn't sure what it meant. I thought 58, although having a gap, would fall under that category. That's why I wasn't sure of calling/raising.

There is some argument to be had for playing suited connectors in this spot, depending on what kind of people are on the table.

On a side note, if the first raiser hadn't been there and just folded, I'd dare to raise it to steal the blinds, since we were so late in the tourney.

Suited connectors are those in sequence: 23, 34, 45, etc. Others are suited gappers. One gappers and 2 gappers mostly. This cardschat resource has a brief explanation.

+1 to that idea about the blind steal. You are sitting in the best position (Button) for the blind steal. Read up a bit more on the link for a more detailed explanation on position.

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
easy fold you always want to avoid difficult situations if he raise from that position you must assume a good hand you will be behind most of the times... that means most of the time you will loose and that's something you don't want ! Good Luck :D

J

John Bor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if nobody made a raise. Then you can see the flop. But if your hand does not get stronger on the flop, then you should throw it when the opponent's doing a bet.
I think it's better not to play with such a combination at all. So you will lose less money and your own nerves

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if he hadn't raised you could've called and seen the flop. I would fold even though you on the button.

P

PeterAztecCh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, i would call the UTG for removing the SB and BB, no matter if one they or both folds, because se don't know what will appear on the flop. So having a great or low value on stack is ideal for bluffing but not with a considerable stackthat you can call "middle".

If flop helps you you will know what to do, but this is myluttle tip for you, obviously there is not a correct or incorrect way to play.

B

Brandom1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im a nit so I have to say its auto fold. Unless Im BB and just calling to see a flop only to prove that my BB isnt up for grabs every hand.

4thLegend

4thLegend

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As first i will see long or distributed crap. May also be very important is the level of chips and position. In this case, enough for chips so we can check and very good position and has a flush and row. I get to play.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands