How we play with small stack. ADVICES

pauloprcds

pauloprcds

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
THIS

I don't really agree on what u're saying.

Basically u're saying that ppl need to be a complete nit.

I'll point out 2 reasons why u shouldn't play like that:

1. Its very easy to counterplay it. I'll fold every single hand i'm holding unless I have AQs+, QQ+ when u make a raise. But, i'll raise u every single time I have the oportunity to steal the pot from u, since u said that u'd "Fold even AK".

2. If u're short stacked, u simply DO NOT HAVE TIME, to wait for a premium hand. The blinds will eat u up in 5-15 minutes, u have to make a move, fast.

When u're short stacked, u're looking for a blind steal or a coin flip, if possible, slightly favorable to u.
So, if u're sitting at CO-BTN-SB position and no one raised already, make your move, if u have at least a hand with some value if someone calls u. Something like J8+, Q6+, K5+, Ax. Most times u'll get the blinds, and a little air. And, if u're called, it will probably be a coin flip.

I agree with u on the point that its easier to make a raise urself than calling a raise. But, u have to be careful on who is leading the raise, since it can be a high stack just bullying the table, making his raise not so dangerous as a raise from a tight player. If such thing happens and I'm holding a good hand (like A10o+, QJ+) I'll easily re-raise him.
U said that u have to avoid the chip leader... Why? Honestly, if u're a small stack, probably everyone else on the table have u covered. It simply doesn't make any difference if u're facing the leaderchip or anyone else. I'd say I sometimes prefer facing the chip leader cause I know his raising and calling ranges are wider than a guy that could be really hurt by entering a coin flip against me.

So basically, if u're short stacked, u have to play more aggro than ever, and widen up ur range, not shortening it.

That, ofc, is my opinion :)
THIS, that's the basic strategy for a short stack to be profitable.

No disrespect "BogDan Stark" but what you said is just no right, of course there's a couple things that I agree, there's some things that I disagree but someone could make a different point than me, but some of the thinks is just not correct, like 72o > AKs , or don't play against the chip leader, doesn't make any sense, just because sometimes we get unlock doesn't mean it's the wrong play ..

Ivab

Ivab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general, I agree with everything. I pay more attention to reading opponents game. This is very helpful when playing. Especially when you have a small stack. When 3-4 is a table I watched the game on all the tables. During the game each player is difficult to monitor. But the game rivals with a big stack you need to watch. Because there is a high likelihood that it is with them you'll be playing on. How to play strong and very strong hands all know. But sometimes I can go allin with hand YAI. And thus I will be sure at 90% that I'm ahead. But to sit and wait for the hand of AA and CC is not always possible. You just eat the BB.

Yermek

Yermek

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a small stack you should play aggressively. I'm in such situations 66 play like AA

danndourado

danndourado

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like watch table behavior and identify the fishy and play against him very agressive. Maybe he's folds 2~4 blinds before start to think we're gambling him, them I wait a broadway to play against him again. At least to me, it works and I can recover some chips lost in a bad beat it puts me in short stack situation.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a small stack you should play aggressively. I'm in such situations 66 play like AA

As for me, pocket 66 in bubble situation when you have short stack is bad decision pushed all-in (you said play like if you have pocket Aces).
Why? Because every big stack at the table sees fit to crash any SMALL guy making prizes closer. In this case we suppose called with a HUGE range include any 7+ pocket cards.
My advice is pushed with at least Queen high cards (suit better).

A

Adam Wright

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, going ALL IN and doubling up or better is what I live for. Although the factors for making this decision are fluid and constant. Depending on the game, position, opponents, flop state; I might go all in pre flop with deuces against a weak raise, Many players are overly aggressive on the other hand seeming weak with quick checks on a hand like Ace King even after flopping a full house, taking longer time (pretend your thinking) before calling their raise when you know you got the nuts. It's nice smack the bigshot in the face when they see your hand. Pop goes the ego.

One more thing, if emotions are involved, STOP PLAYING. After taking a loss: If you can't forget the last hand, then don't play the next one. The idea is to act and not react. Take a break and regain your composure. You can "Get Even", but not without time and patience. Allowing that feeling of urgency to get back a loss, to get back to where you where, or to make up time has often hurt me. I play best when I feel no time constraints. Logic and consistency makes good strategy, then again it's fun to roll the dice once in a while, bet the house for the thrill. Personality makes players.

Last edited by a moderator:
SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Ace heigh pocket hand better then little pair" - with 20bb+
"Wait for TT+ hand" - with 20bb+
With rest of the text i agree.

M

Mauno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest to wait good hand and play agressive if it happens. Without decent hant I would just sit and wait. Maybe your luck will turn while last chips are all-in :)

Dusan Janjic

Dusan Janjic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, that tactic is fairly good, but in tournament I always fail with it, I don't know why is that. Basically I play in tournament of around 5000 people, I manage to get in first 100 and then big blind starts to eat me, and point is I wasn't too passive and I had good chip graph.
Last tournament I had pocked queens, and lost 1on1 all-in preflop versus K 2 (not suited) on flop he got pairs of deuces, and on river 3 of a kind. I was devastated.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, that tactic is fairly good, but in tournament I always fail with it, I don't know why is that. Basically I play in tournament of around 5000 people, I manage to get in first 100 and then big blind starts to eat me, and point is I wasn't too passive and I had good chip graph.
Last tournament I had pocked queens, and lost 1on1 all-in preflop versus K 2 (not suited) on flop he got pairs of deuces, and on river 3 of a kind. I was devastated.

Tell me in this case, why you continue play with him?
If you see, someone became unpredictable just stop put chips on a pot against this person!!!!
Or, if you observe someone doubled up right just every hand, maybe he got LUCK and he gets very nice cards. So, again just stop play against him.

Dusan Janjic

Dusan Janjic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tell me in this case, why you continue play with him?
If you see, someone became unpredictable just stop put chips on a pot against this person!!!!
Or, if you observe someone doubled up right just every hand, maybe he got LUCK and he gets very nice cards. So, again just stop play against him.

True enough, but I had strong pocket pairs, and ego is really hard to manage in those situations. I know what you are saying, but sometimes, it's hard to throw such cards :)

Fish2014

Fish2014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the best players in the world poker deicen it if you're the stack of the table must play more aggressive

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the best players in the world poker deicen it if you're the stack of the table must play more aggressive

Watching the final tables of all serious live Poker Tournaments we can see. that often players win 1st place with AWFUL hands like: 42o, T2s, K7o so on...
So, never mind you've got pocket Aces, if luck is on guy side, he would be winner!

blef mashine

blef mashine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I have a stack of 10 BB , make sure you go all in:)

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watching the final tables of all serious live Poker Tournaments we can see. that often players win 1st place with AWFUL hands like: 42o, T2s, K7o so on...
So, never mind you've got pocket Aces, if luck is on guy side, he would be winner!
When it's HU, you can loosen up significantly, which explains this.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Under 10 BB its better to play tight and wait for a good hand or at least that i do everytime when im in this position, also you can take some risks and shove some hands because ppl tend to fold more vs a small stack player.

E

Edson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice post Bogdan :)

I would like to add something. You need to extend Your range depending on the type of tournament and this how short You are (Also compared to the opponents!)
In regular tournament 10bb give You more time to wait for better hand than in turbo, so range will be different.
Also very important is to look at stacks of Your opponents. Sometimes 10BB are very comfortable :D

Don't play all-in even with AK against chip-leader of the table. Trust me, he win with his 72o
Here I have to disagree. If You want to make good results in tournaments You must tu push AK on short stack. The only exception is when the opponent is the player who play only AA and KK :)P) and he open before You. In multiway pot also You can fold AK. But in 95% cases with AK on short You must push it :)

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Under 10 BB its better to play tight and wait for a good hand or at least that i do everytime when im in this position, also you can take some risks and shove some hands because ppl tend to fold more vs a small stack player.

Yeah, I've been winner several times with such strategy, if you under the 10BB wait "all in hand", furthermore you should pushed first, not called somebody raise (only should if you had KK, AA).

P

paulsmall007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever it folds to you shove ai any ace or any King, don't enter pots with 2 or more players that are in a pot, Don't enter pots if possible with poeple who easily cover your chip stack, Shove preflop on other short stacks

malyshanya

malyshanya

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Article is good, I like it) it is necessary to learn to control himself, and patience)
for myself I know that when a small stack becomes immediately very nervous :eek:

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Article is good, I like it) it is necessary to learn to control himself, and patience)
for myself I know that when a small stack becomes immediately very nervous :eek:

This is why we learn more, and play every next time better then previous!
when you could restrain your emotions, your poker level will grow up immediately.

S

seaweedy1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
never just call

if i am short stacked I play all in or fold

Emixilian

Emixilian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest mistake is when i loose more than 10/15 $ i go crazy and spend all my money.. its kinda a psychological thing but sometimes i cant handle it .

W

wpa23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
in poker you have to have great patience and verry good luck othewise only loose