How u play small pairs at late stage of a tournament??

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you are in the money, I think small pairs work well as long us to link a set on the flop.
Try to see the flop as cheaply as you can, if it does not set and the villain makes you a reraise on the flop it would be best to fold and not continue to invest in a pair that beats any better hand.
At that stage of the tournament, the game is more aggressive, but take the advantage of knowing the villain and make a decision.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends. First you should never open up your range until you're shorter stacked than 12 BBs. So if you wouldn't push a pair of twos UTG regularly you still wouldn't. Shove 55+ UTG and 22+ hj-sb with more than 8 bbs and less than 12. Less than 8 BBs you should shove (all in) any pocket pair from any position though be selective and read the table and the effective stacks to help make your decision.
I like your answer here especially the end, I just bubbled five off the money shoving sevens after an EP open limp, had a little under 10BB, I guess I'm folding here in the future if the same scenario happens as I could have made the money folding a couple orbits

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like low pairs, late in tournaments. Not all the time but they seem to hold up later, into tournaments then at the beginner stages of tournaments. Also depends on the position I am as well. They are easier folds if I really want to make it to the mpney.

juliannorei

juliannorei

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with pairs below par 8 I'd rather not risk it because are low to win now 8 up venture yes

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When i am on late stages i often just fold small pairs unless it a cheap flop or when im in late position, equity is definitely important on the last stages of the tournament so playing it tightly is ok in my opinion. And play aggressively with strong hands and maybe can get some spins to get a safe spot on the chip count.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending on the opponents, in the early position-pass, in the middle count, in the late push

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As the blinds go up and the stacks shrink dealing with small pairs can become tricky for sure!

To me the best way to deal with them is as follows:

You have to be willing to fold them if others show interest and you aren't deep enough to set mine. That being said, first in the pot you can profitably open-shove these hands with up to 20 big blinds (high variance). If you are up against a loose player with 20 bbs or less these can be great hands to re-steal with to build back up your stack.

With a medium stack you can make your standard raise and play carefully post-flop with flops of more than 1 over card or on super connected flops.

It also depends a lot on how your table is playing - if no one folds, raising or going all-in with deuces is inadvisable unless you have enough chips to get paid off when you hit a set.

Hope this helps - good luck! :)

Really if you get those late in tourney they either make you or break you. :eek::eek::eek:

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In unraised pot I open to raise and will fold to heavy 2bet or any three bet. Will call to light 2bet if I’m deep stack hoping to set mine
In a raised pot will call and hope to set mine. Will fold to any heavy preflop betting
Will not push /shove unless preflop unless it’s a short stack that I think has Ax or ATC.
It’s tough to play post flop if you don’t hit. There always a over card. Postflop play varies depending on player and stack

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with a lot of chips is very good to play small pairs in late stages especially in late position
I try to open raise to buy The case he hit the flop, but also easy to read depending on the board you pull lots of chips with a set and is also easy to fold if the board comes high so I prefer to play with low deep peers and in position for a good decision-making

under 20 BB's blinds helps to make moves into position

:jd4:mateuspoker

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if the stack is small then all-in, if the average, raise or fold:rolleyes:

M

Millie232

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we’re very shallow, I’ll fold baby pairs and shove middle to high ones. If it’s deep I’ll just set mine like usual, calling for a BB or a small raise but folding to anything too high.