How to Survive with a Short Stack

M

MstrBlast3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found this article very interesting. The video building out the game tree of the outcomes of moving all in was very helpful. I was going to suggest it be added to the Cards Chat Youtube channel only to find it was already there. Position as always plays a big role and a keen understanding of your opponents to your immediate left, to know when to shove and when not to shove with a short stack.

MTCashman

MTCashman

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like the article said you need to be aware of how many big blinds you have and how long you could potentially fold until a playable hand becomes available.

It's important to pay attention to table dynamics and position because you could potentially bluff on a tight players blinds from late position instead of waiting for a playable hand. I like the little chart at the end because as your stack dwindles you really need to cut the fat off of your starting hand range unless you are in the critical "small stack complex stage" in which desperate times calls for desperate measures.

Have patience, I've seen some players give up when becoming a short stack and they proceed to donate their remaining chips. I've also seen players from 1 big blind come back to win the entire tournament, so it's important to never give up! All you need is a chip and chair.

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the biggest issues I've seen with a lot of study guides break up playing "short" at 20BB and 12BB. I feel this article actually breaks it down one more level and gives good advice on how to play the almost short, the technically short, and the shove or fold stacks.

However, other considerations must also be taken into account. Table dynamics is important as a tighter table you may be able to steal more often, versus a crazy table where a short stack hand selection must be altered to account for the types of hands that will call an all in. A tight table with 25BB one should be able to use position to gain advantage in stealing the blinds with a wider range, while a very short stack needs to be aware of the LAG / MANAICS' when deciding to shove.

Another just as important factor is the stage of a tournament. I was fortunate enough to play in party poker's title fight back in November. I started day 2 with 12.5BB, and 40 people needed to drop to make the money. Luckily eliminations moved quickly, and by folding literally every hand including AKs, I made the money. Further away from the money I may have to take chances to avoid going below 10BB,

However, one final comment. Poker players must avoid being predictable, as this is information that can definitely be used against you. While you should know how to play the short stack properly, being predictable will make you vulnerable.

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't like to be short stacked because it's hard for me to catch up this situation.
I think that I rely too much on luck.
But I have to be more patient and vigilant.
Creating a tree of outcome will help me for sure

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3 short stack
I ususally play 1-2 games at a time, being short stacked ,you need to be ablew to shove many less playable hands especially with blinds increasing
If you happen to haveless then 10 Bb ,it is apprioiate to open a far wider range, and i would say the other players are doing the same

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is very hard for me . As a rule, I wait for good cards and I go to all-in

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually play as the article says with the short stack, and it's very disappointing because I usually lose them against to marginal hands but it's very good when it's favorable because it brings you back to the game.
and I take like stack short pile from 10 or 15 big blinds, depending on the structure of the tournament.

N

Nidghogur64

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Low stack is standart situtation in turbo tournaments, and standart descision was push-fold. But sometimes i can limp with AA or KK in early position, in hope to take more chips from limpers.

Anatoliy73

Anatoliy73

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The article is only a common phrase, in fact a very big deal is about luck, everyone chooses a strategy depending on their experience. And since I have went badly, even with the nicest hand me endure with the little stuff.

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So when I'm short (and happens often), I usually wait for a position when I'm behind a dealer, and I attack with ollin, I have nothing to wait, unless I'm close to entering money, then I refrain from attacking, when I get into prizes then easier and I play on big cards, so if the right card comes, super, usually there is a little weaker game when about 100 players remain before the prize.

C

Cazador twd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I applied when I'm short stack is to play push / fold

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
When I am short stacked, I pushed up any playable hand: including all suited cards or connectors. The only exception for me is when it is a bubble phase, and I could get ITM with rather conservative play. Then it is worth to postpone shoves once the bubble is over ...

demibar

demibar

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
short stack less than 10 bb usually i wait for a decent hand to shove even with small pairs or A with any kicker when blinds going up you dont have time to wait for a better hand luck is part of the game so you cross the fingers

B

Blueberries

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem with short stack is that it forces you to do something eventually, because you'll get eaten by the blinds and Ante's.

It's indeed important not to go all-in right after you've lost a huge amount of chips. Other players will call very often and most of the times they'll win and you'll be eliminated.

Sadly, a big problem of freerolls is that early in the game, everyone starts going all-in pre-flop. Just gambling. Or some raise the blind 9 times pre-flop, forcing you to make huge bets without having seen any cards.

After a while, it gets tougher to gain chips because there are more players with big stacks next to you who will -again- force you to make huge bets.

And then the blinds kick in, they start forcing you to only play a few hands. Even then, it happens often that you don't get what you want and you lose lots of chips, bringing you to the absolute danger zone.

So yeah, surviving a freeroll is really difficult and I end up with a short stack frequently. The trick is to stay cool and hope you can win chips with a great hand. The pro of being short stack is that multiple players will tend to call you as you make a big bet or go all-in. But then of course, don't go all-in before the flop, or your chances of winning are even smaller.

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
When we are in this situation we should not wait too long, we should not be too selective with our hand, although you should not go all-in with garbage either, it's a matter of not despair, I've been almost eliminated from some tournaments and I've managed to collect, little but I charged.

P

PokerTraveler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short stack have some advantages, when you have good hand you may preflop allin and opps call, becouse think that you have something weak
Dont survive, just push allin and take money, yo!

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Vertically Challenged is the most difficult category for me. I always make errors, that indicated in the article, when I has 10-20BB.
Tempting overcame me all time and I try to limp into a hand and see a flop for cheap. Perhaps I need to recognize my weaknesses. I do not like to sit and wait, it is much more interesting to create an action and try to win.

kenzohim

kenzohim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My style play super tight b4 in cash ,in cash will play more wildI'm challenging PS MTT cash leaderboard top 20 this week ,hope can make it

Attachments

• IMG_20180101_085329.jpg
    IMG_20180101_085329.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20180101_085310.jpg
    IMG_20180101_085310.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 34
AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Woww I learned so much with this article. I realized I was making some big mistakes when having a short stack. Never herad before they were diffrent types of short stacks, so my vocabulary also increase there haha :). The video taught me that iks not correct for anyone to be always all in with premium cards, that was ahuge mistake that new players as me make, believing that they are going to duplicate their stacks in no time. That Matt Vaughan quote is something that in my oppinion every player should consider as a must, you really need to breathe, and remember that you are still in the tournament, instead of getting crazy and start all in at every hand (most players do, I was once there hahaha)

Gary_Heart

Gary_Heart

Gotta Have Heart
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Anyone knows me knows I'm usually short stacked early and on the bubble most of the tournament.
So what do I consider "adjustments to your normal play"?
I guess "vertically challenged" would be be most normal and "short stack complex" might be last resort.

But I don't agree with the "only options are fold or shove pre-flop".
Be selective all the way because your going to have to go all-in with "guns blazing" on any hand you want to see the flop.

kenzohim

kenzohim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone knows me knows I'm usually short stacked early and on the bubble most of the tournament.
So what do I consider "adjustments to your normal play"?
I guess "vertically challenged" would be be most normal and "short stack complex" might be last resort.

But I don't agree with the "only options are fold or shove pre-flop".
Be selective all the way because your going to have to go all-in with "guns blazing" on any hand you want to see the flop.

If <3 BB only allin or fold , call is not option, u jam hope less Player in for win ,if fold all hands will in cash, I will fold only K's or A's go jam !I play MTT in cash about 80% by that way !

Attachments

• IMG_20180101_150301.jpg
    IMG_20180101_150301.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 29
D

DilshodAka40

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for this article, it was very interesting. On the topic I read all discussions. I agree with almost all)) Like everyone else, I also had a situation when he was left with a short stack. Short Stack - this problem, but not globally. If you play agresivno and you have a small stack, about 10-20 big blinds, you become a little passive. Ignore the weak hands. bluffing is also not an option. I do not recommend bluffing with a small stack, because it will find a donkey that will go all-in 7 2 and on the occasion he will win. Wait for the right moment, AA KK - what you need. If passive players, try to steal the blinds.

In general, do not give up, and you can.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I was going to shove J7s when I had 4bb in UTG+1 but as UTG had shoved his 8bb I just couldn't shove anymore :(

So it all depends when you can shove. My shove might of been called but I would of taken the chance if UTG had folded.

The flop was J7x :( :D

PokerStars - 75/150 Ante 15 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (UTG+1): 3.74 BB
MP: 12.91 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
MP+1: 5.39 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
CO: 60.35 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 22.22, 3Bet Preflop: 50.00, Hands: 9)
BTN: 34.65 BB (VPIP: 10.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
SB: 8.04 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 10)
BB: 35.23 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
UTG: 27.55 BB (VPIP: 21.43, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 14)

8 players post ante of 0 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.3 BB) Hero has 7:club: J:club:

UTG raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to 7.94 BB and is all-in, fold, UTG calls 4.94 BB

Flop: (17.68 BB, 2 players) 7:spade: J:spade: 6:heart:

Turn: (17.68 BB, 2 players) 2:diamond:

River: (17.68 BB, 2 players) 8:diamond:

SB shows 9:spade: 9:heart: (One Pair, Nines)
(Pre 55%, Flop 76%, Turn 86%)
UTG shows T:heart: A:club: (High Card, Ace)
(Pre 45%, Flop 24%, Turn 14%)
SB wins 17.68 BB

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After losing a large part of the stack you need to keep calm. With a short stack, play soberly and do not attack the enemy's aggression. Strong hands play aggressively.

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a short stack , your task is very simple you can tight the range a bit
wait for it , push/fold strategy , you won't struggle with playing postflops and multiway pots.
and you have to use your botton position very well , I will push almost evey medium strenght hand on button , if my stack size is very similar to others on blinds , CO HJ can be very profitable aswell .