How to prepare yourself for Deep Stack MTT

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be well rested, well eaten and get into the winners mentality. I also recommend you to play some deep-stacked tourneys beforehand to get a good feel for what to expect.

J

jacksonionh

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make sure you are playing at a place where you can focus without distractions. I know it can be hard to focus with other things to do while you're not even in w hand but make sure you are ready to focus and pay attention at all time! Good luck and I'm excited to see your results!

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well good luck kicking azz! Win it all.

S

subdylzep

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When playing a deep stack with long blind levels will always mean skill will win out over luck. The quicker the blinds and lower the stack the more luck is involved and the bigger the stack and longer the blinds more skill is involved. Prepare yourself to be in for a long journey, dont get tired and be very patient. Pay very close attention to the players at the table, and note their tendencies. It is going to prove very important later in the tournament as you should be playing for a min of at least 5 hours. Do Not get yourself too involved in any hand early in the tournament, even KK or AA. Chances are you aren't going to be getting any prelfop all in calls for at least a few hours, so you will have to play these hands Post flop, and they are easily beaten with flushes, straights, and 2 pair, so don't over invest in any pot unless you know you are winning (nut or 2nd nut usually). Be patient and dont be afraind to play a lot of hands early in the tournament that can pay good value, keep an eye on your pot odds and implied odds. You dont want to get too involved with people who have low stacks when the pot odds arent there preflop because you wont be getting good implied odds. Take your chances in 3 way pots and try to catch a set or make a straight or flush to increase your stack size early, but dont get over invested in chasing the straights or flushes unless the value is there. Usually someone will under bet a strong hand and let you catch up or try to slow play here or there trying to trap and give you a chance to hit, but like i said you need to do this early in the touranement to try and gain chips. When you reach the middle stages, (before the bubble), you need to tighten up a bit and start playing a little more psychological game, and a lot more position. Try to get in pots against people that you know are tight (or will fold when missing their hand). Expose them and dont be afraid to bluff to pick up some chips. Then, when you are getting towards the bubble I'd say to expose your position even more, stealing blinds against weaker players and lower stacked players who aren't going to play unless they have a premium hand, that way you can be very defensive if they do go to the flop against you. If you do this, you should put yourself in a decent position to get into the money. If you do indeed make it into the money you need to make sure you are playing good poker, You can loosen up a bit now, but keep playing position. Pot odds aren't going to show themself as much because you will generally just have hands in isolation, so wait for some big hands and make a squeeze play or 2 against a player you know is calling loose, espeically if your table perceives you as a tight player. It will give you a good chance to make a squeeze play and pick up a good bit of chips. If you can play a little looser you will want to against the tighter players, dont get yuourself too invovled with the loose players late in the tournament unless you have a premium hand. You should have sufficient enough time to figure out who is playing loose and wait for your chance to flop a very nice hand, or wait for a KK or AA preflop and get them trapped against you. Patience is going to be key in a tournament that takes this long, but more than that, you will want to exploit what the table thinks of YOUR play. How they think you are playing, therefore if they think you are playing tight, then play a little looser and steal their chips. If they think you are playing really loose, then wait for a bigger hand and nice flop to raise them big and get them to call with a less strong hand. Once you are deep in the tournament and nearing the final table you will want to play your best poker, making sure you dont get in against anyone too deep and watching for people to trap, so dont over committ to any pot. Leave yourself some wiggle room with your chips and try to stay about 25+ BBs the entire time. Good luck in the touranment, Use patience the most, and be very observant of your opponents. Keep an eye on your chip stack in regards to the blinds (i.e. How many blinds you have left), and exploit position when possible! Good luck! Hope i helped.

skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In these tournaments, you can observer better the style of your opponents, and you the blind duration that allows you to wait more for good hands. Patience is the key. Try to study some moves according to your table position, when 3-bet, when check-raise, these kind of stuff.

M

m3th0s

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't play tired, stay relaxed and pick your spots, find some way to keep yourself entertained, and buy a seat massager haha.

therealslomo

therealslomo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get some rest, make sure I'm hydrated and fed. Get some positivity going before sitting down to play and making sure to enjoy what I'm doing. Can't say I do much else.

lukaszkrzi

lukaszkrzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I be playing this Sunday because the last game I played was cancelled. :p Thanks all for help