hdi7390

hdi7390

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

[DEVIS = tauri103; 4738199] Bonjour.
I try to go as far as possible but with good strategy like you but the luck remains an important factor example, I lost a $ 5.50 tournament bounty in place pay 27th with AA and the other player AJ ca part has preflot carpet flow; 9JJ river 6 turn j 9jj6j square valet my advice is to persevere

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i read some of the advices here and i would take a little of everyone! freeroll is the best to practice. because you got tourneys with thousands of people, or like cardschat that you get no more than 170 players. i read one here that let the others loose first. wait for a better hand. i really dont like to bluff, specially online, so dont put your tournament on the line. and most important of all, good luck!!! :)

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you really need to look at each spot carefully at this stage. The cards become less important but position, stack sizes, blind sizes, etc hold much more weight. Look for any spot where you can steal the blinds (and lookout for people stealing yours), see cheap flops where you can. Use any reads you may have to outplay your opponents and pay attention to everything they do - who's playing lots of pots and who's only playing pockets pairs? How many limp in each pot? What size of pre-flop raise gets action and what win the blinds there? These are just a few examples but generally speaking I strongly believe observation is your most valuable tool at this stage of an MTT
If you want to learn further about what information to look for at the table and how to use it I can really recommend Harrington on Holdem. I'm sure there are plenty of free videos/articles knocking around though I don't know any specifically.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As others have said if you have a good stack you can open your ranges up little more if the table allows it. Just find a good raise chart and follow it, be a little loose with it if you want but be prepared to fold to jams or 3-bets.

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really watch your stack in comparison to the blinds. Play 'your game' whatever that is until you start to get <20BB's.

At that point, it feels like push/fold becomes very important. Practice that.

bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends how deep you are...so its hard to tell some thing good but if you have 30 bb are more play normal

12345djon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on your stack, can you play with it relaxed and aggressively, or if you have a small stack, then we are waiting for a good hand to enter the game and take risks.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As you get closer to final table, the players you will be up against are going to be a lot better than when you first started the game. For this reason you must pick your spots better. Don't play rags unless of course you're in the blinds and no one raised. Even then I would proceed with caution.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the later stage of the tournament you need to play more cards. If in the beginning we could lose A9 on stage with an ante, at the end of the tournament we play A8765 and so on...
I usually go into the hand with a raise at a later stage.
Try to dominate the distribution of those in which you play ..
Try to play with a raise against those who play very carefully. In the later stages they are your main purpose.
Good luck

UnTalTales

UnTalTales

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I do not play many hands being close to the final table if my stack is close to the average or lower. I think it is preferable to wait for the best hands to try to climb the ranking.

With stacks that exceed twice the average, I extend the hands range and try to see more flops.

With monstrous stacks I thoroughly increase the pressure, but I usually forget the basic precautions and sink in a foolish way. Let's say that Mr. Hyde seizes me and I lose control. I have to work on that matter.

And what about the headups? It is a separate art and is very studied. You will easily find excellent information on how to play them correctly.

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This way, in my opinion and from some experience, I will try to help you as much as I can. At the beginning of the tournament it should be a little more active and play more often than usual and look to grab the middle stages of the tournament. Then we need to play very hard and careful and then our knowledge comes to the point when a little player remains. You should play on the tiniest cards and you should not have any problems. Means without risking and bluffing and this style is mostly recommended if you play micro limits. I want you all the best in the sequel!

UnTalTales

UnTalTales

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that all poker players have the same question including of course me. The answer is patience and analysis of the informations we saw in the game. This includes the maths of the game and the picture of the other players.
I agree in general with makisaa, but...

I think that mathematics and observe the rivals does not make sense if you do not have other developed characteristics, like common sense, patience and passion. Someone could say that some players can do a good job without passion, but most of the people yield more and better if they feel passion for what they do.

cris1964

cris1964

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion
the basis is observation of the opponents on the table and the right assessment and keeping it throughout the tournament to the last hand if it fails, you're out of this kind of life

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
End of the game run = pure luck.
Example: one game I had a huge stack, waited for over an hour to play a hand, I got pocket AA, I go all-in pre-flop, I get called by pocket AA, (by the only stack larger then mine), I lost to a flush.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start practicing with uncrowded tournaments, play aggressively when low stacked or if your opponents play carefully.

UnTalTales

UnTalTales

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you know videos or articles that are likely to help me improve my game and to go beyond this stage.
Hi tauri,

The scenarios are not perfect in the sense that, in my opinion, it is difficult to find, at any time of a tournament, an ideal table, with the average Tights, Loose and Fishes, as they are described in the books.

Also, many online players, regardless of their style, do not pay attention to what books and videos recommend, so you have to adapt to what you see at the table.

I think there is no better learning method than the old "trial and error". Errors are a source of invaluable information, and in poker, as some stars say, those who make fewer mistakes win.

If you are going to look for reading material or videos to learn the fundamentals in an intermediate to advanced level, I suggest you look for information on how to play paying attention to the stacks in relation to the different moments of the game. Search for "Chip Stack Management." In the link provided are the basics.

Find info addressed to what not to do in the game. There is short Kindle book I read: STOP! 10 Things Good Poker Players Don't Do. And other called Strategies for Beating Small Stakes Poker Tournaments, by Jonathan Little.

Personally I do not take the information I find in books and videos as mandatory, but as ideas to be evaluated.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
cris1964

cris1964

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Apparently, you have to see each stage. nothing by force

sidenotch

sidenotch

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there are still donks at final tables

Hello everyone

I still have trouble not being ejected from a tournament when there are only 30 or 50 players left, whereas there were several thousand at the beginning of the game.

I tried every possible strategy. play aggressive, play tighten, bluff but nothing is done each time is the same scenario that is repeated. What are your advices ? Do you know videos or articles that are likely to help me improve my game and to go beyond this stage.
I have come across the same problem, and it's basically at every level of play, whether or not it's a head to head, free roll, 30-50 entrant tournies or higher....AGREED>>>same ole same ole stuff happens. Donks play stupid cards in weak positions and seem to get 80% of the winners at ACR. It's maddening at times because you can play tight and smart and make it to final tables and still get taken out by some donkey playing 3 8 off suited on the non blind to an all in PRE FLOP against my face cards...and YEP!>>>they'll get the winner about 80% of the time>>>>TOOOO Weird...and TOO UNFAIR! I have a quote I use in here often,
"A computer site is only as good as the people who are PRE programming it"
--Sidenotch--

Last edited:
sidenotch

sidenotch

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree, luck is about 90% of the game

End of the game run = pure luck.

Example: one game I had a huge stack, waited for over an hour to play a hand, I got pocket AA, I go all-in pre-flop, I get called by pocket AA, (by the only stack larger then mine), I lost to a flush.
Agree with you completely...there is no "answer" or way to examine the characteristics, passion, ETC of other players who are willing to play stupid cards in weak positions. Losing to that flush is a fine example of how luck is 90% of the game of poker...why do you think they call it "gambling"? LOL

" A computer site is only as good as the people who are PRE programming it"
--Sidenotch--