How to play set on a board with flush draw

B

bremensha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Checking and check raise makes sense only if you or your opponent were committed.
Otherwise you give them an easy fold.
You have to bet in first position of course. That:rolleyes: gives the other players a guess. If they have to guess they may make mistakes. Then you earn a lot more. You may even get a full house v flush.

L

LaserCats

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the professor would want everybody in and let them chase - you win most of the time/most of the money. Others this early would look for a possible trapping situation of the board pairs on river with a diaamond. Personally I would look to milk it - bleed them a little, if in position, with smaller bets. Diam hits and maybe you can catch a bluffer if he puts up a smaller bet. If you get an all-in on you and a diam on riv then run away.

L

LaserCats

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One other thing to watch for if you have a smallish set is a QQ over lookiing to call you down and donking Q riv for a larger set. Keep betting low if hig riv card hits.

babydrago9

babydrago9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're playing HU and you have say Ac7h and the flop comes As7s5h, a decent percentage of the time checking may be the best thing to do. It is obviously less likely that they'd have an ace because of your blocker, as well as 2nd pair. Therefore, if they were to have a hand which would call your bet, then it would most likely be a draw. When your opponent has a draw HU and you have 2 pair, you want to increase the pot size as much as possible because of how much youre a favourite. If they have a draw, they will bet, and so check raising will most likely force them to peel and see a turn. If it turns out they had for example AQ, they're also going no where.
Check raising is a very important move in modern day poker and imo is a great way to increase pot size with a good hand.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
define your goals. what do you want to happen? You have the near nuts on the flop. Do you want draws to fold? Do you want to charge draws a bad price to continue?

When I flop a set in this type of situation I lead out for about 2/3 the pot, thereby denying proper odds.

if the flush card comes on the turn, that doesn't necessarily mean your opponent has hit the flush, but you are probably still better of checking and then decide whether to fold or call based on how much they bet, and how tricky you think they are, based on your read etc. Plus, even if they hit their flush you've still got boat and quads outs for about 10 outs.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just because someone calls a flush draw flop doesn't mean their range is limited to a flush draw, if the turn hits you can't just give up and fold and disregard pair/two pair, overpair combos that will pay you off.

B

bbq1633

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sets vs. Flush Draws

Just push 4X raise or all-in at flop to stop flush draws chasers to get his draws out!

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So basically lose value for your monster hands everytime?

Why not just shove every pair PF and A,K if you don't want to play an easy monster like a set post flop.

It's terrible to win a small pot by pushing someone of a draw, the worse play in the and you're basically costing yourself money doing this and what on earth do you want getting paid for if not a set?
Exactly my thoughts.

I like to donk-bet 1/2nd or 2/3rds of a pot, both sizings give my opponents the wrong odds to call with draws, and I can also induce raises from them as well. Having the intentions to check-raise runs the risk of your opponent checking back to see a free card and you're loosing value as people wont be as eager to call your check-raise as they would be raising your donk-bet.

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi!
you could call and wait the turn for check-raising
in that spot the draws wouldnt fold and you scared top pair.you could take more value on the turn

Rain92

Rain92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should raise just enough or more so that they are paying a huge price to see the next card. This will usually push them off. You can check in the situations but losing another turn where they have the chance to hit their draw.

You might lose but you already have a made hand against their chances of hitting it.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two moves, either you bet or check raise.

It depends on table dynamics.

Likewise depends on stack sizes.

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this literally just happened to me in a don sng. i had kk, villain had ajc. board is k10x with 2 clubs. i slow play it to build up the pot. i shove my stack on the turn where he misses. villain still has straight draw and flush draw. i have a set. villain stilll calls only to hit the flush. i get knocked out. the villains reason? "i had 11 outs". i'm going to keep playing aggressive and leading the bet/reraising.

M

Milkmando

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, just wondering how bad my play is in this situation, not too happy with it but it was quite late in the night, so I was tilting after being card dead for around 20,hands near the bubble:
I am in middle position 9 handed in the final table of an MTT and the bubble has just burst:
There is one nit monster stack at the table who is in the early position, I am one of the med/short stacks, all players limp before me, I also limp in with QQ (something I regret)
The blinds are eating into everyone now, I have just over 10bb
The whole table limps so the pot is already enormous when the flop comes:
10d Jd Qc
Two players before me bet 1/5 of the pot, which I interpreted as drawing to a flush
I shove and all fold to a similar stack player who snap calls and shows a slow played AKo nut straight
Board doesn't pair and he stacks me
Was it inevitable that I was going out? I can't see him folding AK if I shoved pre

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys, just wondering how bad my play is in this situation, not too happy with it but it was quite late in the night, so I was tilting after being card dead for around 20,hands near the bubble:
I am in middle position 9 handed in the final table of an MTT and the bubble has just burst:
There is one nit monster stack at the table who is in the early position, I am one of the med/short stacks, all players limp before me, I also limp in with QQ (something I regret)
The blinds are eating into everyone now, I have just over 10bb
The whole table limps so the pot is already enormous when the flop comes:
10d Jd Qc
Two players before me bet 1/5 of the pot, which I interpreted as drawing to a flush
I shove and all fold to a similar stack player who snap calls and shows a slow played AKo nut straight
Board doesn't pair and he stacks me
Was it inevitable that I was going out? I can't see him folding AK if I shoved pre

you need to jam your QQ preflop and hope to pick up the dead money. If somebody calls you they are usually drawing to 3 outs or less; since logically AK shouldn't be in a limped pot at this stage.

It was just bad luck for you that AK was slow playing and yes, you were probably going to go out either way this hand, but that is not the point. THe point is the quality of the decision you made given the knowledge you had at the time. not the result.

W

winningpoker

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya thats good question u can call only if u hav Ace high otherwise its very dangerous to call .... if anyone hav ace high then u wil be doomed.... so should be concious and alert and should guess the oppenent cards ....

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you need to jam your QQ preflop and hope to pick up the dead money. If somebody calls you they are usually drawing to 3 outs or less; since logically AK shouldn't be in a limped pot at this stage.

It was just bad luck for you that AK was slow playing and yes, you were probably going to go out either way this hand, but that is not the point. THe point is the quality of the decision you made given the knowledge you had at the time. not the result.

this ^
Player with AK should have shoved and so should you.

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agressively just to be sure if the villain has the fush or not...

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played the hand quite well.Anyways it is better to win something rather than losing everything.Especially on a board with flush draw.

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my strategy - better is opponent fold not get a good combination and beat you...

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't put so much emphasis on what the other guy is going to do with his draw - you have to do your job and make the correct play - which is bet enough (2/3 pot works) to make his continuation a mistake or bad play on his part. If he folds, GREAT - scoop the pot. If he calls, GREAT - you forced him into making a bad decision. This means no slow play and betting out every time.
If he picks up his flush, GREAT - make a note that he chases despite the odds and you exploit that the next time, again and again. You are the 2-1 favorite - at worst - don't worry about the monsters under the bed (who will poke their heads out from time to time).

B

Bjjartisan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be very cautious and try to feel out the strength of your opponents hand. Try to remember everything from him looking at his cards to his bet patterns and any tells he could show

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to raise 2/3 pot, but if you miss it you will have to bluff or fold and lose a big pot. You might want to hold to pot small and just call/check. I prefer to raise.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You simply play it right.

Its better to get less chips than rather losing it all.

Himanshu

Himanshu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in cash games you want draws to stay because you will get paid more times and you will get sucked out less times but in tournament is its not rebuy i will go a head and move all in and let them decide weather they want to catch their outs or not. if they have strong draws they might call anyway.

B

bnasp2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to get maximum value out of your set. If not, what is the point of even calling with small pair.
Check-raise will tell a lot about your strength. First of all, you cannot represent flush draw anymore.
If its close to bubble, you can try to force FD to fold. But at beggining all you need are chips, the more chips the better.
Bet so many chips, so he can make mistake by calling (with bad odds for him). On turn, do that again. If the flush will hit the board, just try to see cheap showdown, or fold.

Full Flush Poker