How to play large stack around bubble

guicor30

guicor30

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that both plans are good but in function to the tournament.
Example: if we are in a tournament with micro entry the best option would be the second option since the winnings are not very good until the final table.
But instead if we are in a tournament with high entry the first option is the best because as players are eliminated the gains are substantial.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I believe that both plans are good but in function to the tournament.
Example: if we are in a tournament with micro entry the best option would be the second option since the winnings are not very good until the final table.
But instead if we are in a tournament with high entry the first option is the best because as players are eliminated the gains are substantial.

Excellent reasoning, guicor. Really makes tremendous sense.
The only comment I would make you have to hang around and make the final table to get close to any payouts.
The guys that play the micro tournaments are usually playing off small banks. So it is just as important for them to make the smaller payouts, as it is for those who buy-in using bigger banks and get the bigger payouts.

J

Jamzymc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressive

I play aggressive as soon as the antes become worth something. Once I'm at a stage a pot will increase my stack 5-10 percent I will risk my entire stack to chip up. I'll take close spots and more coin flips. It's higher variance but the goal I think in the Middle and late stages is not only to stay above water but to have a stack that can take you to the final table. Youre going to final table rarely so when you do get there you want a stack size which can make you a winner or at least climb to where the money is, usually top 4. So around bubble and generally each stage thereafter I play aggressive within reason. I'll adjust if the table is extremely loose or when the tournament gets down to the final 18. But generally I'm not scared of going bust since my main goal is 1st. I play micro mtts with big fields so if I was to play with smaller fields I would adjust to that. I guess it all depends on the tournament type, size, table etc etc.

Last edited:
madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a little differently then some as far as how much is buy-in. I think micro tourney players don't care as much about risking losing at bubble cause its small buy-in so not risking a lot and yes you need to go deeper in micros to get good payout so smaller and medium stacks are looking to double to get to where they can go deep so imo in micros you will get called or reraised shoved on more often in micro s so I think I mean towards choice 1 in micro s, just being aggressive with more premium hands. Higher buy-in tourneys I think small stacks and especially medium stacks are playing tighter looking for spots to double up cause they are risking more with bigger buy-in are ok trying to just get in money and then try to get back in hunt for deep run. Micros there isn't much of payout at min cash anyway so I just think smaller stacks are willing to risk it all with less than they would in a big buy-in tourney.

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s simple actually, you should always try to take adventage of power representation, to take every chance to blind steal, and what one of the members already said, to play smart aggressive. If you have a decent stack at the bubble, you have a good chance to build your stack and your chances with almost no actions at all

Filip Krstevski

Filip Krstevski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends with what players you playing on table. I definitely gonna push the low stacks around 5-10BBs, making them fold, just to steal their blinds and try to knock them off from the tourney. But it really depends your position, how many BBs your opponents got. You need to play smart and at some point you should think about not loosing your stack and keep it for the FT :)

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You really want to use the close to the bubble time to accumulate chips, a lot of the time you can pick up chips with really small bets.

R

Rufun2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have done both to find myself sitting on the siderail looking at all the bad plays or beats and thinking i should of at least cashed