How to play KQ off

S

Skulldown1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's get started.
1)Limping isn't an option because you will face raise over you from A-low kicker and you will pretty much lose if flop doesn't helps you.
2)Fold if you face 3-bets,or bad flop,things like that.
3)Raise is the best option in pre-flop,but if flop doesn't help you don't get too crazy betting like a retard.
4)Less or 10BB you pretty much go all-in with all hands bigger than 10.

C

cashwig

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Personaly if its early in a tourney and im in the first 3 spots (utg, utg1,utg2) i fold KQ off, without a second thought most times, its to easily dominated by hands that people will always play ie. AK QQ KK AA. If you raise and hit top pair against most of these hands you will be in real trouble. obviously if a table is extremely passive you could raise this hand from an early spot but as a general rule i don't unless i have some previous reason, like a passive table.

J

JaguarJT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind limping with KQ, it's not a hand where I want to get married to without smacking something most of the time. Through experience it's a hand that can get you in a lot of trouble. You have to tread carefully know your opponents especially when playing this hand late in tournaments.
Who taught this kid? lol

S

Stoogey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I will play it like Aces in late position, fold it under any raise, open-raise in any position,
Early 2.5x.

R

RoyWeldon

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never limp in with KQ .Fold in utg or fold to 3bet.

M

Menschlich

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The underrated KQ.

IMHO if you hit top pair on the flop with KQ,throw your rolex in the pot along with your stack.

It's a good hand and can connect hard to alot of flops and draws.(if suited)

Sure alot of the time your going to be dominated but id take KQ to pocket jacks any day.

You'd shove jacks right? (short stacked) then why not KQ?
I don't have a Rolex.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably underplay KQ, I'll admit that right off.

Here's how I go, first of all I NEVER open limp, and I mean never. I might occasionally call a few limpers with a speculative hand in position, but I'll never be first into the pot with a limp.....that said....

UTG, or UTG+1 I just fold KQo but if it's suited I'll sometimes make my standard raise (2.5x) if the table is nitty, or if I have a tight image.

Middle position, I'm always gonna open for my standard raise with KQs and frequently also with KQo (depends on my recent raising history, if I just raised 2 out of the last 4 hands I might just fold it).

late position, I'm always gonna open for my standard raise with KQ suited or unsuited.

I'm unlikely to call a raise with KQ unless I'll have position and I'm comfortable playing against the opening raiser. It helps if it's suited to give me a little boost in confidence, but my biggest consideration will be how I feel about playing a pot with the raiser; will I know when I'm beat? Will I extract value when I'm ahead? Will they let me pot control when I'm unsure?

In the blinds, I will usually re-raise a late position opener if I have KQ. If it's a middle position opener I'm gonna consider a flat call, based on player range/read.

If it's an early position opener, I'll probably just fold my KQ from the blinds.

L

lost2qandisa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. I raise it almost 100% of time preflop. With that said, once in a blue moon, I raise a 6 9 preflop. Every hand has value. If you limp in, you lose fold equity. I rarely limp into a hand unless I am at a tight table and I start playing really wide ranges. Against super loose tables, I may limp in. Just like most hands, it is all dependant on who your are playing.

blakewyte

blakewyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually I'd raise it on any position to push out any limpers and then watch the flop. Recently though I just call and if anyone raises, I see how much more I'll need to put in as well as their stack sizes and position. If they're before me, I'll call but if after, I'll fold because I want to avoid getting trapped. Might be a crappy coward play but it's saved me before.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Here's how I go, first of all I NEVER open limp, and I mean never. I might occasionally call a few limpers with a speculative hand in position, but I'll never be first into the pot with a limp.....

This is me, I find it too passive to open with a limp!

As for raising I will either min-raise or 2.5/3x. The way I have been playing these last couple of months I have been min-raising with every hand I play, so I don't give my villains a tell what I am possibly holding.

Tbh I don't like KQ that much unless its suited. I am not saying I wouldn't play it but often I let them go depending on the table or how bad I am running.

A lot of the time I play KQ and I get a King on the board no straight possibilities just a pair. I hate the kicker here but saying that I would still put in a cbet or just call a bet and hope the opposition hasn't got KK, AK :)

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont like to play KQ from the early position. i like to avoid it in early and middle phase, too.
its ok for me to play it hard after the bubble

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Just got this UTG, didn't win tho but didn't lose much either :)

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (9 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php

BB (t1,500)
Hero (UTG) (t2,575)
UTG+1 (t2,165)
MP1 (t5,370)
MP2 (t1,540)
MP3 (t1,910)
CO (t3,390)
Button (t1,290)
SB (t1,260)

Hero's M: 34.33

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q
club.gif
, K
club.gif

Hero raises to t100, UTG+1 calls t100, MP1 calls t100, 1 fold, MP3 calls t100, CO calls t100, 1 fold, SB calls t75, 1 fold

Flop: (t650) 3
diamond.gif
, A
spade.gif
, A
diamond.gif
(6 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 bets t50, MP1 calls t50, 3 folds, Hero calls t50

Turn: (t800) A
club.gif
(3 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets t50, MP1 calls t50, Hero calls t50

River: (t950) 5
spade.gif
(3 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets t100, MP1 raises to t1,250, Hero folds, UTG+1 raises to t1,965 (All-In), MP1 calls t715

Total pot: t4,880

Results below:
UTG+1 had 4
club.gif
, 4
diamond.gif
(full house, Aces over fours).
MP1 had 10
diamond.gif
, 10
club.gif
(full house, Aces over tens).
Outcome: MP1 won t4,880

etherghost

etherghost

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd limp in with it 50 percent of the time. Depending on increased odds at any given time, for instance, if I didn't see K or Q on the flop for the last 3 hands, I'd go for it.

A

axelgodpoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
KQ OFF S in my opinion is a weak hand ,i will play that hand only im under the button or just call a raise if it`s rezonabily

J

josic007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
KQ open with a raise in almost any posición

Fieldsy

Fieldsy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early I limp in, if raised I fold
Late pos I will raise if no one else has.

An Ace on the board will tear your stomach up in a decent sized pot.

S

smidjet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i am play a lot of hands always with a raise by the time i get KQ it looks like AA to me and yeah i am raising, what happens afterwards is something you deal with when it happens, if you have to lay it down then so be it, but i dont like a limp at all

C

Countmein

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise from every position; 3bet late position raiser from blinds. I play A10 the same way. Only time I change strategy is at loose table. There little to no information is gained unless opponents are folding often to 3bets.

I vary my raising amounts based on table, standard seems about 3bb. Raise the lowest amount that gets the jobs done.

Post flop no choice but to play it like AK or AQ when spiking pair just don't go putting all your chips in against unknown opponents. If they're calling you down on wet board you've got hope if nothing gets there. If board is dry than prob fold too raise on river possibly c/c, c/f. Of course depends on how well you know your opponent. If know them well possibly check/raise if like me you bet your draws after raising preflop.

lulu pk

lulu pk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I raise whit kq only in late position,i don't like to limp

PrayForSpades

PrayForSpades

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold, unless you are late position and it is folded to you, then you can raise.

C

Countmein

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anytime I talk about pre flop play of a hand I'm talking about coming into an unopened pot if there are limpers in front or it has been opened from an earlier positions this changes the dynamics of the hand significantly but rarely will I fold KQ utg unless I'm in middle stage of tournament with medium stack. Then again I'm an over aggressive player and this could be a leak. I'm still working on not pushing myself off a hand.

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In early stages, I prefer making a 3x bet with KQ....
In late stages too, i prefer to make a 3x bet with KQ suited only, infact i play them a little more aggresively at late levels...In case of offsuit KQ, i just limp play...

S

sleepymike

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would probably have to have less than 10BB to shove in early position, unless antes have started.