How to play after a bad beat

jscales

jscales

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play your game

You got beat... It happens. It's poker. You cannot give up on the tournament just because of a bad beat. You need to pick good spots and get your chips in to double up. Then you will have some chips to work with again.

Zehntar

Zehntar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont change your style of play, even though you just had a bad beat.. cus if you change your style of play (EG start to play more aggressively), more seasoned players might pick up on it, and you'll sadly exit the tournament sooner than you think. Just keep your cool mate :)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont change your style of play, even though you just had a bad beat.. cus if you change your style of play (EG start to play more aggressively), more seasoned players might pick up on it, and you'll sadly exit the tournament sooner than you think. Just keep your cool mate :)
You need to change your style of play in that you'll need to adjust yourself accordingly depending on how many BBs you have left, the structure of the MTT, and the players.

You can't play the same with 10 BBs as you would 75 BBs.

D

Daidals

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it would be dependent of what tournament it is and how much money is in my bankroll: If it is 4$ tournament i would play very tight, hoping for some pair ( 88 and bigger) or Ax; If it is Sit&Go I will probably start to push all in with average cards.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a tourney its middle stage of game bubble is still away you are holding 50bb stack suddenly a bad veat hapens and you came down to 12bb stack .. blinds and ante are very high.. how do you play then..??
Still wait for good cards or let the game go...
I tend to fold at least a few hands to get my head straight unless my cards are extremely good. If I play out of anger I am not long for that tourney, found that out the hard way.:D

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to change your style of play in that you'll need to adjust yourself accordingly depending on how many BBs you have left, the structure of the MTT, and the players.

Excellent advice! Constantly, change gears according to blinds and your chip stack! Always keep your opponents guessing!

In the event of a bad beat! Shake it off and continue to play! Even with 10 or 12 BBs in your stack. You are still alive! Use the button to your advantage and make something happen! :fight:

K

KillerHurtz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it could depend on the individual. For me, there's a lot worse things that could happen than me getting 2-outed on the river in some $5 tournament or something. I just brush it off. Being angry doesn't help anyone's poker game so it's just mind over matter for me!

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
calm down , take a breath go outside and play poker again

Zehntar

Zehntar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Well, that's true, but I did not mean it like that.. what I meant is like, dont start bluffing everything off due to a tilt or anything like that. :)

M

MidMoMan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So hears the thing... You have been planning to play this tourny for months, a big entry fee means it is the largest you have been in ever. Second hand you have AA, and the BTN. Several calls you decide to shove all in, the BB goes along, everyone else folds. He show 27, but flop34A. So far so good AAA to nothin. Uh oh 5 comes down and your Aces lose. You are out of the biggest tournament of your life cause some fool call with 2-7. How do you not go on tilt after that?

tauri69

tauri69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually it leads to success, as the ice beautiful arm forward. A wise saying before the game is not over when you have lost your last blidi. And the law is to show how I won 2 ante Coming from one of the live tournament !!! :) :) :) :)

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So hears the thing... You have been planning to play this tourny for months, a big entry fee means it is the largest you have been in ever. Second hand you have AA, and the BTN. Several calls you decide to shove all in, the BB goes along, everyone else folds. He show 27, but flop34A. So far so good AAA to nothin. Uh oh 5 comes down and your Aces lose. You are out of the biggest tournament of your life cause some fool call with 2-7. How do you not go on tilt after that?

Shoving All-in puts your stack at stake! Why not just 3 or 4bet and see the flop. Bet huge before the Turn and I am pretty sure the BB will fold. You will not see maniacs like this in big entry tournaments compared to freerolls with players that have nothing to lose.

Ivab

Ivab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a tourney its middle stage of game bubble is still away you are holding 50bb stack suddenly a bad veat hapens and you came down to 12bb stack .. blinds and ante are very high.. how do you play then..??
Still wait for good cards or let the game go...

After such a failure to become expensive to try to gather additionally combinations on the table. So you need to be prepared in each hand in which you participate on, put everything. And so you need to carefully choose the hand. If you are lucky and good card came in the first 2-3 of hands you can safely go Allin. Usually support with an average card thinking that you do not have a strong hand and you on the nerves. Without risk and luck in such a situation it is not possible to return.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have playing only 88+ KQs+ AJs+ if i have 1-10bb push/fold mod. Sometimes i get a final table with 1-2bb from 50-100 peoples :D

C

Chipsteal_jj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never let the game go. As long as you are in you have a chance of winning. Even if you are down to 1-2bb, winning a pot can mean up to almost 6-7bb (including dead money) and shove with a good hand could mean up to 15-25bb and you're back in the game.

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
act fast! everyone has been saying you need FOLD equity and that is SO true. Even if you are on the bubble, attack the blinds. If you get knocked out, go for a walk, take 10 deep breaths, smile hard for a couple minutes, enter another tournament!!!!

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice one thing become aware to me is clear your mind right after bad beat.
How does it work: some fish crashed me, next what I think is how much more MTT I have in my Google Calendar on this month!!!! So this way I help myself by thinking about future chances to win in MTTs.
Just try dudes, and you will see it is working!!!!!