How much luck is needed in large fields?

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fff

Poker is a combination of skill patience luck and experience....Sometimes even AA could be cracked....so i suggest at big fields you got more chances and you need more luck .But big field gives you more money than other .....a lot of people a lot of money ....

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think luck is based on how the cards lay:0) it isn't luck to play your cards right and how you bet them:0) you can have luck with your cards hitting the table but if you don't play and bet them right someone with true grit:0) will steal your luck:0) so I would say if luck was a percentage it would be like 30 the other 70 would be skill:0)

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Big online tournaments Takes about 8 to 10 hours or even more to finish. As the length of time increases the "luck" factor diminishes. One can't remain lucky continuously for such a long period. And i think that is the reason luck based players often fail to reach the top.
Similarly, one can't remain unlucky for that long. Skilled players know this fact and they manage themselves to the top just by observing the incoming and outgoing of luck factors of others as well as their's.

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
luck does play a big roll in low buyings and decreases in big buyings do to the amount of players register, In the end its all the same no means it could be 10k register in a freeroll or 1k in a small buying it will be more of the way you manage to play from when the tournament starts to making all your decisions along the long stretch to make it to the final, why because in most of a lot of the tournaments you see a lot of the same old folks making it to the final table most of the time why? do you thinks is because of Luck?... no and yes there is lucky situations along the way where luck does help you or your opponents, but much depends on how your playing your game with a big field of players.... good luck!!!

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All MTTs have variance. The amount of variance will grow as field size increases. Winning any MTT takes a good amount of "luck". I always liked and believed the saying of "you will have to give 1 bad beat as well as survive 1 bad beat in order to win an MTT" !

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Large Fields

We must play with range of hands and position in wide fields right is to risk a stronger game when it is in large fields to try to increase the battery but even so the ideal is to keep between 20 to 30 BB's to give sequence a good game

:jd4:mateuspoker

neiroob

neiroob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck is also necessary for playing in tournaments, but skill is also very important for a good game and for making the right decisions.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Luck influences and is important in a tournament, I've seen some players who come to the final table and I think that luck has had, because I've seen some of his plays, but of course not always his moves have been lucky, also luck have had against, but without being eliminated and other times has played very well, so hard to say how much luck is needed, that may vary, but I think the ability has more influence

B

BlazeinRuins

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No Luck

I know this is a bit of an odd way of looking at it but I'mma argue the bigger the field the less luck involved. Think about it- if you're buddy Mort sits down n he straight up sucks at Poker, he could still get it in bad and hit his out to double up. At a SnG he might turn that double up into a cash depending on the format. If he plays a freeroll w 5k entrants, he ain't making that final table without a divine intervention. Sure, luck would be needed to guarantee a cash/FT but the deeper you go in a big field the less lucky you got.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There is no denying that a long term skilled play wins out but most people will not see that to win a big event you do need to have some luck. Your aces run into kings but you are only going to win the hand 82% of the time. Pocket kings vs AQs and and you should win about 70% of the time. Pocket Queens vs AKo and you win 55% of the time. With you just playing in a event and running into these 3 hand you in theory should lose 1 of them even though you are favorite in all of them. When playing in a every for 8 hours you probably will have this situation 20 times or more and will need to win a few more that expected or hopefully when you lose you have a much bigger stack than they do and can afford to lose a hand. Do I believe skill is the big factor in winning these events? yes I do but you need some luck as well.Every year at the wsop you hear about the best player in the field who has yet to win a bracelet who finally does. Why doe it happen? Well playing in fields with thousands of players is part of the issue. Yes you can be a great player and never win one without some luck but in the long run only skilled players will be winning player's when it come to the money.