How much do you need buy-ins in tournament poker?

raul400368

raul400368

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the tournaments I play are free and the sit and go 0.25 bucks. today win a sit and go and collect 3.23 dollar. I am happy

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I haven't particularly worried about how many buy-ins I have yet. Even so, my biggest goal in Poker is leisure. If I ever start playing professionally, I will reconsider.

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still believe 100 buyins is fine if you adjust to your swings accordingly. When you run bad you move down and when you run good you move up. It still should be pretty hard to bust a bankroll doing it this way. I think the problem is people never want to adjust down :)

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Good morning everyone.
I play sit gos, I play zoom cash game and I play $ 1.10, $ 2.20 and $ 3.30 mtts.
I believe that 50 buyins is enough to increase my bankroll.
I'm watching some nl $ 500 cash game zoom players to learn, and one player said something that makes a lot of sense, he said that if you want to be an excellent player, you have to choose a style of play and study and practice just that game, he said that when he started playing poker he played everything and then decided to just play cash games.
And the problem is that I really enjoy playing these 3 types of poker.
It is not part of the question, but the weight of the nl $ 500 players is impressive, he explains the play and wins with hands that I do not play, at nl $ 2.
I think I learned to play poker, but I am a long way from that level.
The Brazilian player that I see playing at nl $ 500, uses the nick zinhão, very technical.

Andrey FRIFIN

Andrey FRIFIN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also think that 100 buy-ins are just what you need. But how many times has he already burned out due to the fact that I can not resist, and I do not play tournaments on bankroll

AdonisPimenta

AdonisPimenta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me a comfortable size are 200 buy-ins, give me a formidable range of tilts and bad bits might happen on the way.

S

Sebarios59

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me a comfortable size are 200 buy-ins, give me a formidable range of tilts and bad bits might happen on the way.

I don't know if 200, it seems like a lot to me, but between 100 and 150 I think it's ok to play with peace of mind

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
you usually have to use which tournament you want to play for a period before you buy. in my case i'm playing 1.50 18p and i'm putting together some money to make a buy of 150 to play 100 tournaments and make a profit of less than 40 or more tournaments and thus raise my limit.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also agree, it's not about being technical with the BI but having that balanced approach seems pertinent!
I keep a minimum of 100 buyins for sng, if playing MTT I like to have 200 in my bankroll

Jonathan Little has some really good posts on this in his book Mastering Small Stakes Poker where he had charts and all that good stuff.

In my opinion it matters what makes you feel both comfortable, and stimulated. Don't want to be bored and don't want to be stressed out... otherwise you'll be missing 'the zone' :joyman:

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s depends the structure of the tournament but I think that 100 buy in is good number 🙂

Sorry for my english 😬

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The 100 buy in rule is a very old rule, I remember hearing about it 15 years ago or so. Maybe this was a good rule for smaller tourney fields like the WPT with Gus Hansen :)
Nowaday with the huge fields on Stars I see buy-in rules / opinions of even 500-1000.
But you have to be a winning player, because you lose it anyway if youre not and then you don't really need a rule.
And you also dont need a mtt bankroll rule, if you have a lot of other income - thats called cash flow :)

k0dka

k0dka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
See the results of completed re-entry tournaments. Players win such tournaments by making 2-3 re-entries. And it happens quite often.

Players don't win because they re-enter. They have essentially lost one tournament and started another (with a shallower stack at that). The reason most people do this is to put in a larger volume of games played. These players are the grinders, so it is normal to often see them at the top of the list :)

frost234

frost234

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It really depends on the size of the player pool and your ROI. The more players the higher the variance. If you are playing on stars I would say 200 buyins minimum for MTTs but if you are playing elsewhere 100 should be enough providing you have a solid ROI.
Here is a simulation of 2000 games played with ABI of $1.10 with an ROI of 15%
35de2b2255510cfe0c962fe2902570c9.png

You will notice you have a 30% chance of running at a loss even with a positive ROI.

If we use a similar structure for a 300 player field we have a greatly reduced probablility of running a loss of 10%

28b8d720ad9cc7e4ae8a3f99168572b8.png

Just something to think about :)

you can use the variance simulator here https://www.primedope.com/tournament-variance-calculator/
Thanks;)

M

Mr_RichRich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me it's a minimum of 200 buy-ins at low stakes , 300 at medium stakes , and 400 at high.
This should give you confident state of mind , less tilt , and better results in the long run.
But in the end everyone has his own strategies .

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like too have at least 150-200, but I play mostly large field mtts and they tell me it
is not enough. last 25 tourneys I played I did not make a final table. It really is a grind
when the fields are so large. 3000 + players

AndyGamesPoker

AndyGamesPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do 100 buy-ins for around 45 person sit n go style and 150-200 for MTT depending on field size.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How you approach the game makes a difference. Do you go the high variance route or low? If you are aiming for min cash first than moving up, your variance might be much smaller than someone attacking before the bubble.

A lower variance means you need less buy ins, but also cap your upside to a lower amount.