How much do you need buy-ins in tournament poker?

throughstruggle

throughstruggle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey. Even 5 years ago for a comfortable online game in MTT, 100 buy-ins were enough for a limit. A 100 buy-in bankroll that was supposedly impossible to lose (if you have good skills) is not enough at the moment. Someone is currently using 200-300 buy-ins in MTT, and someone 500. I’m interested to know how many buy-ins you use in MTT, Sit and Go to play plus at a certain limit.

Marctowin

Marctowin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a structure of in-game buy-ins in each action. It's forbidden for everyone to see. Artificial intelligence loses.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
100 buy ins for any experienced player is standard...now many variations have arrisen over the years just as you already pointed out. Personally, I would say between the 100 and 200 range for MTT's and for SNG's I would say about 20? 10-15 should really be enough for a good player but I think 20 accounts for some variance and should be plenty. Working on a bankroll right now from nothing, so far have turned $0 into a few freeroll victories, ran into micro SNG's and up to $27 in about 5 days, thats also playing a few events i knew i shouldnt and a few losing cash sessions in between. overall ive probably rolled $35 - $38 over but im sitting on $27 right now. Good start for me, discipline is my toughest role - but i am improving every day. :) Hope some of this helped you?

TeamPainter

TeamPainter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't necessarily do "x-amount of buy-in's". I just have a general rule I follow. I wont put more than 1% of my bankroll on the table at any given time.

Managed to turn $1000 into close to $1400 in almost 30 days now.

If you use the 1% rule, the nice thing is you are never playing on scared money.

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like this tactic and I like it in a similar way. I always watch that I have at least 100 buy in and out of that tournament. If I have $ 100 in the bankroll then I play $ 1 buy-in tournaments. And so, in such a way. I think it's the best tactic to not experience a bigger tilt. Every recommendation! I am so happy and I am constantly progressing with this tactic.

scaleyback

scaleyback

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on the size of the player pool and your ROI. The more players the higher the variance. If you are playing on stars I would say 200 buyins minimum for MTTs but if you are playing elsewhere 100 should be enough providing you have a solid ROI.
Here is a simulation of 2000 games played with ABI of $1.10 with an ROI of 15%
35de2b2255510cfe0c962fe2902570c9.png

You will notice you have a 30% chance of running at a loss even with a positive ROI.

If we use a similar structure for a 300 player field we have a greatly reduced probablility of running a loss of 10%

28b8d720ad9cc7e4ae8a3f99168572b8.png

Just something to think about :)

you can use the variance simulator here https://www.primedope.com/tournament-variance-calculator/

throughstruggle

throughstruggle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on the size of the player pool and your ROI. The more players the higher the variance. If you are playing on stars I would say 200 buyins minimum for MTTs but if you are playing elsewhere 100 should be enough providing you have a solid ROI.
Here is a simulation of 2000 games played with ABI of $1.10 with an ROI of 15%
35de2b2255510cfe0c962fe2902570c9.png

You will notice you have a 30% chance of running at a loss even with a positive ROI.

If we use a similar structure for a 300 player field we have a greatly reduced probablility of running a loss of 10%

28b8d720ad9cc7e4ae8a3f99168572b8.png

Just something to think about :)

you can use the variance simulator here https://www.primedope.com/tournament-variance-calculator/
Thanks. Very helpful information. :):):)

S

Sp0own

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It also depends on the tournament structures and the time between levels. I would say between 100 and 200 .

TeamPainter

TeamPainter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments are an entirely different mindset. I don't have much experience with them. Honestly, I think tournaments are more a bunch of BS and luck. All it is really is a big slot machine on the table, especially early when idiots are looking to double-up or rebuy right before the late registration ends.

Tournaments in my opinion are too much gambling. I play smaller level live ones several times a week and there are people that have no idea what they are doing and win. Not taking away from anyone if they enjoy them, just in my opinion not my thing.

As far as buy-ins for tournaments though, yeah, Id agree with the post above in at least 200.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

Without the buyins how do you participate in the tourneys?

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey. Even 5 years ago for a comfortable online game in MTT, 100 buy-ins were enough for a limit. A 100 buy-in bankroll that was supposedly impossible to lose (if you have good skills) is not enough at the moment. Someone is currently using 200-300 buy-ins in MTT, and someone 500. I’m interested to know how many buy-ins you use in MTT, Sit and Go to play plus at a certain limit.
It is often very difficult to resist the desire to try your hand at higher limits. Why not try it if you are doing well at your limit and you have caught the upstream? Or vice versa, if you lose, then maybe you should try to quickly recoup at the higher limit and restore the bankroll? But all these are temptations to be resisted. Never play outside your bankroll, no matter how much you want it, otherwise very soon you will see zero on your balance sheet. No player wants to play at micro limits, but most often it is with them that you will have to start your journey, so you should put up with this and stock up on discipline.How to understand that your bankroll is ready for a higher limit? First of all, it depends on the format you have chosen. For example, MTT (multi-table tournaments) is a format with greater dispersion than cash games. A large win in one MTT does not mean that you immediately need to run to a higher limit. As a general rule, the greater the variance in your chosen game format, the more BI you will need in a bankroll. The more players, the greater the variance.Online MTT (multi-table tournaments): 150-300 BI 1.10 $ - 165-330 $ 5.50 $ - 825-1650 $ 11 $ - 1650 $ -3300 $ $ 22 - $ 3,300-$ 6,600 33 $ - 4950 $ -9900 $

kacca

kacca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play tournaments for $ 11 and often play setelites for $ 1-2-3-4

S

ssj3gokudbz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I follow this rule: 200x buy-ins for regular MTTs, 400x buy-ins for turbo mtts, 800x bui-ins for hyper turbo mtts.

This is a bankroll management used by ALLin PAV, a professional poker player.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I keep a minimum of 100 buyins for sng, if playing MTT I like to have 200 in my bankroll

Jonathan Little has some really good posts on this in his book Mastering Small Stakes Poker where he had charts and all that good stuff.

In my opinion it matters what makes you feel both comfortable, and stimulated. Don't want to be bored and don't want to be stressed out... otherwise you'll be missing 'the zone' :joyman:

throughstruggle

throughstruggle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I keep a minimum of 100 buyins for sng, if playing MTT I like to have 200 in my bankroll

Jonathan Little has some really good posts on this in his book Mastering Small Stakes Poker where he had charts and all that good stuff.

In my opinion it matters what makes you feel both comfortable, and stimulated. Don't want to be bored and don't want to be stressed out... otherwise you'll be missing 'the zone' :joyman:
Interestingly, have you ever lost all 200 buy-ins while playing tournaments?

darionara

darionara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well I always look to play tournaments with free entry once I build my bank I start to play tournaments with entry value to play tickets of $ 10 or $ 5 depends on my bank

B

bempassado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I like to use 100 buyins.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interestingly, have you ever lost all 200 buy-ins while playing tournaments?

No, because if I ever drop say 50 buyins down then i start playing lower limits.

It's a shifting scale so that I'm always having 200 buyins minimum for whatever the average buyin i'm playing is.

Good question tho!

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

In tournament poker, I noticed one pattern. If I start making re-entrances, I will still cure the tournament very soon. And vice versa, if the game starts to go in a quality manner, then without any re-entry I get into the prizes.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 100 buyins should be enough. There are also people who recommend just 50.

But you can adjust, depending on what tourneys you play. If you play a lot of turbos or even faster MTTs then you will need more than in regular structures.

The most important thing is that you feel comfortable with your bankroll and do not play under pressure...

throughstruggle

throughstruggle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In tournament poker, I noticed one pattern. If I start making re-entrances, I will still cure the tournament very soon. And vice versa, if the game starts to go in a quality manner, then without any re-entry I get into the prizes.
See the results of completed re-entry tournaments. Players win such tournaments by making 2-3 re-entries. And it happens quite often.

PavelTimofeev16

PavelTimofeev16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a maximum of 2 buy-ins for tournaments.

S

Spady1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Best odds - enter at late registration

I find the best way to get in the money is to enter game as late as possible. Am I wrong?

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think between 100 and 200 but it depends on the level of the tournament and the time between levels.