How many of you win going all in with AK?

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I just raised AKo 3X on the button early in today's CardsChat ACR freeroll. SB went all in with a pair of 3s. I called. I lost.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a strong hand nothing special about it to make a statistic. I rather have a pair then Ak, for example 22 vs ak got a bigger percentage.
Yes, in that hand example 22 has a slight edge over AK. However, you need to look at hands vs ranges.

What hand does better against a range of, say, 55+, AQo+, KQ, KJs+, A10s+, A2s-A5s?
  • AK/s = 54.7% - 56.8% equity to win by river
  • 22 = 36.4% equity to win by river
Keep in mind that above is preflop equity is only correct if it goes to the river. But lets say there is post flop betting, what flops can 22 comfortably continue on when facing cbet aggression? Would you be comfortable calling a cbet with 22 on a flop of 3c8sJd?

Likely not, but AK still has equity to call. You can hit an A or K on turn, if suited, a turn spade gives you flush draw equity, a 10 or Q, gives you gutshot straight equity, even better if its 10s or Qs. Plus, you have show down value with AK as well, even if turn bricks and river goes check-check.

So, basically, you can still maneuver with AK on a missed flop more than you can with 22. Unless you're comfortable going to showdown with 22 against a board of all overcards.

Last edited:
M

mclaughlinph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My frustration lies in the fact that most of the time when I have AK my opponent has a pair and its a flip preflop. And vice versa when I have a pocket pair I am up against AK. That rarely and not as nearly as often as it should be am I dominating with AK against Ax or pair vs smaller pair in the classic preflop flips. There should be alot more occurrences of me dominating in my preflops so that when I lose one it doesn't seem so bad because I should be winning alot more often on the dominating hands, Things like this make me wonder if online poker is rigged to have more action and more money deposits floating around and more flips in general which gets peoples heart rates going and dopamine levels up (better known as a sweat) which get people more addicted and spend more money.

I have seen this so often I have started to fold AK preflop in certain situations because its not worth the risk. Its almost better to bet preflop take a flop and shove on the flop when you hit or miss so that the other player is more likely to fold if they miss.

M

mell0404

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

it's a lie! they always beat me even with a small pair

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My experience is if I'm in with A K I usually lose to a pair. If I'm in with a pair I usually lose to A K.

To be serious though, it's probably just that you remember when you lose more than when you don't.

I get more irritated with someone shoving A J.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often get busted on JJ, AK, AQ. But many times you are short stack and you hit AK. You want fold equity, you are jamming.

I mean if you are 20BB, which is often the case when you are late in a tournament. How many moves do you have?

You raise 2.2-2.5BB

2nd player rereaise to 7.5BB

You only got the option to flat or go all in. Other than AA, KK. You are in alright shape.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn’t notice that my AKs let me down a lot. I always follow the flop on the opponent and check him. If I have nothing on the flop, then the turn is a checkpoint and a raise on my part.

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the hand too but lost so many times to Ax and suited broad ways. I don't think
50 % of the time when I am all in pre flop.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is one of those hands I done all of the below.

Folded it under the gun the as first to act.
All in it, most of the time.
Cold call 2bet
Cold call 3 bet.
Call shove.
Fold against reraise.
Limp with it.
Limp and reraise.
I even folded it on sitting in SB against BB as first to act.

DTaboada

DTaboada

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Dificult not to call with AK. You need to control your mind and avoid geting anxious.

gallocobain

gallocobain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends of board always when I can!

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It drives my crazy to see so many people win the pot with AK, when I swear, I think I've only won twice in all the times I jumped in with it... to the point, I'm willing to fold it from now on! I start aggressively to try to weed out the fish, and still get busted by someone holding 89 offsuit.. just sayin!
I want to know if this really is the BIG slick, or a big lie???

Calculated in %, AK is never a big favour in poker. Even the other player have KQ, AK is 70% to 30% with KQ. This is one of the most dangerous starting hands and many people think that with it, they must win every time, because others starting hand is a lit bit weak than AK, but statistically you will lose with AK on every 3rd hand, regardless the other player what have.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is me with AK.

Attachments

• 0240ABA7-B595-4A6D-826F-A3F246A8CE86.jpg
    0240ABA7-B595-4A6D-826F-A3F246A8CE86.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 7
VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You´ll win most of the times because that´s one of the strongest hands in the game, but sometimes, you´ll lose, that´s the poker variation game

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK right up there with AA some days.

AK I don't have much faith in. Example: today, I think, "time to build the stack, early tourney", shove with AK . Totally dry flop, turn, and river, beat by pocket 2's. Another tourney, I go all in with AA, more dry flop, turn, river, get beat by meager 2 pair. Eventually, it will all work out. But way less winning with AK than any pockets.

L

Ltech

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My AK Playing Strategy

In my view there are two ways to play AK, the best is when the cards are suited, as the range of probabilities increases with such a combination. I would not stop playing such a hand as I consider it to be very good and in all positions raising the pot, is considered safe. Don't get discouraged by the bad beats and move on, good luck.