How do you stay focused in tournaments?

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To stay focused I drink lots of tea and no T.V. unless the Leafs are playing.
Tea is good I think, helps keep you focused. Chinese tea is the best in my opinion

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know, that got me thinking am i stay focused in tourney or am not as a default? It would seem the easy question but not for me. Your query forced me to look back and analyse my game. I can say with certainty that i dont push me enough to enter into tournament with winning mindset. If i cant adjust my attitude for the game in order to be focused all the time at the table it is not reasonable to seek for the reasons outside. Turn the flashlights on yourself.
Good, the time we think we know it all is the time we have failed! 😁

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
listening to music usually but i have hard time sometimes :)

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
to keep me focused on the tournaments I prepare well the environment where I play ... as for example I have a drink next to my place of play ... some snacks ... so this way I do not have to get up during the tournament .. and I take the breaks of 5 minutes to go to the bathroom ... get up a little and make a phone call if necessary ...

schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your a competitive person i guess it comes fro. Within. Or at least it works like that for me.

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to focus, however, at times... I don't do as well...

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all try to stay focused the best we can, it's hard but it's a must

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is very difficultespecially if you are for example chip leader and you lose half of stack,and yo got bad beaten.....

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is very difficultespecially if you are for example chip leader and you lose half of stack,and yo got bad beaten.....
Exactly! Tilt really affects our game

D

DilshodAka40

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is important to focus on the game, not to drink alcohol, drink the potion of fortune and try to double your stack)

AlexPedsPaps

AlexPedsPaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Either absolute silence or complete submergence in music. Another thing that I do is utilise my breaks to completely avoid being around the computer screen and stay fuelled with food and drink haha (never done a live tournament so could not comment for that, but possibly just going for a mini-stroll away from the table would be good lol)

N

ngk80

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After good roll I get a fee minutes rest to keep my minds. I do it the same and after fee bad rolls.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It only takes one wrong bet/check/raise to ruin your tournament. I drink espresso coffee and listen to piano music.

kushqueen710

kushqueen710

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Quite and kids in bed is the best for me.

O

Orman Nelson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with limiting distractions, I do drink coffee. Additionally, anytime I feel focus dropping I will stand up and do a little stretching while observing hands I am not in. Seems to help me refocus a bit.

I

Izazul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Green tea, coffee when you really really need a boost...a cigarette on breaks when you have the opportunity. Different methods for different people, i am still working on this aspect of my game. I definitely find longer games require a lot of focus and concentration !

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not have much preparation. I try to play carefully. Sometimes it turns out, but it all boils down to getting a good map and skillful use of the hand. If everything converges it is possible to go far in the tournament. No, I'm leaving the table.

R

RobQQ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience

I try to be patient and not get scared that im going to be blinded out. Try to wait for that right situation or hand to push. I aslo drink a lot of coffee.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I personally like to listen to music or watch TV while I play, yes I watch TV even though they do not believe it, it helps me to concentrate. Haha, in the 5min break I retire from the computer to clarify the ideas and clear my mind

J

Joonnn1212

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Music helps me stay focused and I get up and walk around during the breaks to keep my energy up. One thing I've found that helps me stay ultra focused is streaming on twitch for some of my buddies to watch, because then I thoroughly explain each play I make rather than just going on autopilot.

N

notahead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just take the five minuet break go outside or something then come back don't even think about last few hours of playing just go right back at it so step back go outside for few mins occupy yourself and then return and you will feel refreshed

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I drink coffee and very often tea in the winter. I don't like beverages like Red Bull because they give you a boost which doesn't last much plus too much sugar for no reason. Eat some chocolate instead but ok this is only my humble opinion.

I feel like I can play my optimum game whenever I don't play everyday but I play because I want to have fun. This is where you have the patience and your mind is totally focus on the online poker task.Last but not least really depends on how many tables toy are able to play simultaneously.Overdoing it is not a smart idea. If you play your A game by playing one table then just play go with that.