How do you recommend starting a tournament?

yomarianob

yomarianob

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My suggestion is to start being somewhat tight, opening just suited hands that can flop very well, and playing mostly in position. Also, give you some minutes to watch your opponents, take notes on them, spot the recs.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Hi martina, I think one of my main strategies is to play very calmly, try to take advantage of the top cards, but in a way my game will depend on: the structure of the tournament and how I walk my game at that time, I just try to take every opportunity that I think they introduce me to steal or even lie, and I always try to use my instinct

gallora

gallora

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in the early stages of the tournament it is difficult to crush opponents with your stack, you need to look at the players and wait for your chance.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I am trying to be patient and waiting for strong cards. In my opinion, this is the simplest and most effective strategy.
Good luck.

U

Unbustable

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to think about what kind of image you want at the table. Generally tourney players are a little tighter than cash. I find that within the first 3 levels of blinds while you have 100bb or more you should open up your range a little to see more flops. Always keep in mind position and how others are playing. Try to be consistent with the amounts you raise. It's good if they can't get reads on you based off that. Anyway it's best to try and go with the flow of game but stick to a strategy all the way through..

guwanch7777777

guwanch7777777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in the tournament a little bluff you need to play only good hands

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
initial stages, closed range, and as the blinds progress, you open your range to the push and fold stage.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't forget your banana!!

high potassium is recommended before every poker session

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the beginning of the tournament everyone has still a decent stack and the blinds are low, which means that it is hard to knock people out of a hand with a bluff or a weak hand. Here you want to be looking for a strong hand.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tight and highly aggressive especial on the button is usually your best bet being so deep stacked
Implied odds are a whole can of worms with 100+ BBs

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the structure, format of the tournament, blind level increase, opponents in the distribution and much more.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends of the structure, table (6,9), format (turbo...) mtt or sng, how many players, what about entry fee (freerolls, pay - low, med, high stake).

From my personal experience I can only said something about freerolls and low to mid, neve played high stakes, so I am competent to talk about this type.
I mainly play mtt, and on occasion few sng.

I do like to play a little bit lose at beginning while a bunch of them will play any 2 cards hoping to hit big from start so I can double up, then start tightening up as game progress....

This is basically what I do, especially in live tournaments. With the blinds so small in the beginning and us having a pretty decent stack to start, it makes sense to play more speculative hands pre-flop, like suited connectors or even a K3 suited hand. However, if you sit at a table and witness a bunch of craziness, it is sometimes best to sit back and wait for your monster hand to go up against the crazy players.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely like to start little slowly, don’t like to take to many risks, remember, you can’t win tournaments on the beginning, but you can lose them

manolo salazar

manolo salazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Bro!
I agree with most of the poker players. At the same time you have to analyse what kind of tournament are you going to play, the blind structure , if it is freeroll or not , deep stack or structure normal , re- buy or freezeout. and so on.
Normally try to spend time studying your opponents, taking notes because the mistakes that they do in the early stages will be repeated later .
If your table is aggressive don not open too with a wide range, make 3 bets for value , don not bluff them . Remember you can bluff tight players if they show weakness.
Prepare yourself physically and mentally for a long session.
Be patient and attack weak players.

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the tournament is regular 10 min blinds i play tight waiting for good opportunity and only call all in when smaller stack then mine goes all in and trying to survive the flip,although if i play turbo or hyper turbo tournament i play agressive in the eraly stage and then if i survive i calm down a bit.

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
start slow

I always start very slow and cautious, there are players who go all in very quick to try to double up their chips. Just lay low, be smart and patient. make it through the madness and the game slows down. then play your game.

gallora

gallora

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Starting the game you need to be prepared for the fact that the monster hand can lose 7 2.

Dimanis

Dimanis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to play very tight early on and avoid all the difficult decisions. Tournaments are not won early on.

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play very tight, be patient. don't shove with any good hand and risk your tourney life.
hope for lots of luck.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Moderate, but you have to be aggressive when you need it, but there are some tournament models that you have to be aggressive from the beginning especially the hyper turbos tournaments

gallora

gallora

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start the game from the first distribution and collect information about the players at the table.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds are low, over bet and bet on less than premium hands. Perhaps build a stack, and perhaps establish a loose perception that can be modified as blinds rise. Good luck.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
at the beginning of a tournament it depends a lot if it is a free one, it is preferable to wait for the first three hands that all go all in as they are free, all can with any hand and there you have only 10 percent with an AA apr as you say now in lso micro media entry tournaments it is best to analyze and go calmly with strong hands to be able to detect your possible fish that will help you increase your chips, starting hands for multi-day tournaments are AK same suit, AA, AQ, Aj and average pairs for try to steal the boat

G

ggteam2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi Martina. Just play solid game, ponder every decision and everything will be fine! :D