How do you play Middle Pairs and Low Pairs ?

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a lot of chips, for example +40 BB, you can open UTG par 66+ focusing on making a set, especially with Low pairs 22, 33, 44, 55 and 66, with these pairs it's great to call a bet and try to make a set on the flop, if you don't hit anything on the flop, don't hesitate to abandon the hand.

The medium pairs that are 77, 88, 99 and 10. should also be focused on looking for the set, but in some flop situations you may be beating your opponent, for example you called a bet from HJ in the SB position with par 10 .

On the flop it opens 258.

In the opponent's range there are possible combinations where you are winning like AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, QJ and pairs smaller than your 77, 66, 33, 55.

So in this specific situation I like to check-raise, to take away those hands that you're already winning and can lose if you hit one on the turn or river.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Small pairs are called pocket hands from 66 to 22. These are rather weak and vulnerable hands, especially in a game with a large number of opponents and blinds that are not critical for the stack. It is very easy to play low pairs. Basically, there are three scenarios: you make a set, take the pot with a bluff, and fold everything else.The general rule for medium pairs is: if someone has already entered the hand with a raise, fold. An exception can be made for a pair of tens (TT). Tens are profitable for calling if two opponents have already called to one raise. Another important rule - if your own raise with medium pairs gets an aggressive response (reraise) - fold without remorse.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
There is another very important rule: you can only call a raise from an opponent with a small pair if his stack, or rather the effective stack, is 15-20 times more than the amount of the call. And it is better to do it in late positions. Therefore, when somebody raise with smaller stack, it is better to fold. And in the middle of the tournament, when the effective stack at the table is less than 30BB, it is also better to fold too. There must be a good payback, that is, high implied odds, so that small pairs can be played. It is also important that very aggressive opponents do not sit behind you...

K

karylpretty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually fold it in late stages. Waste of chips

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
My favourite cards, because you can easily set a trap with them. But it can be very dangerous of course, because if the 3rd (or 4th) card doesn't come at the flop, you'll waste some chips.
If nobody raises before flop, then easy call, if flop helps, you can limp and steal some chips from the villains.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
For me it depends on how live my cards are and how live certain cards are, based on position, i will no what to do, poker is all about information, and strategy, and it takes skill to hone in on those attributes

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to limp in and see preflop, but in tournaments I can do all-in depending on the situation of course

Ketienne

Ketienne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually raise them in late position. And try to figure out with c bet where I am. Always a great opportunity to set a trap after set.

Last edited:
MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a normal tournament with small pairs I play cautiously, but in a knockout tournament I play very aggressively.A lot depends on most factors, on the type of tournament, on the stack and on the position

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I am not a big fan of these hands, but depending on position and stack sizes, I would raise in late position if I am first to act. Or I will call a raise or even limp with the hope of hitting a set. Again, I will decide depending on stack sizes and tournament phase.