How do you play close to bubble.. and how Should you play?

O

onelovebeach

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a bad beat story.. really! So there I was in the big blind.. 7th out of 14 left in the ACR freeroll. As I got closer to the bubble I tightened up.. Then it happened.. A J suited in the BB. Heck I almost didn't want it.(not then anyhow) Everybody folded to the SB. He raised X3(and had done it a couple times earlier) so I raised him X3.. He sat there a minute and as his timer headed for zero he went all in. Called. He had K J offsuit so I was happy.. we shared the J and I had a pretty big advantage. Flop came and I got my Ace... but before I could pump my fist.. runner runner he has a straight and I'm out.

Top 10 are in the money.. Did I play it right? Should I have just called his bet? so many questions. But what I really would like to know is How do we/you play so close to the bubble? Hell we had 2 people inactive and blinding out.. I could have just put it on auto and got to the promised land. My problem with that is by doing that I'm pretty close to everything being an all in when I start betting again.

Just curious what the consensus is out there...

thanks!

I would not tighten up my game and play as many hands as possible but flat without risking my hole stack! Because if, i want to reach the FT with many chips to be more relaxed and have more options then only to push and fold with -13BB for example!

zlajazlaja2

zlajazlaja2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it all depends on which tournament it is, whether it is big, or some purely to kill the time, but as someone before me said, you should play relaxed, on a card that you estimate to be worth entering, and not worry about anything :)

N

nexboxmc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i wanted to ask
how good it is to go all in with 99

zlajazlaja2

zlajazlaja2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the evaluation of the player, and I always play relaxed, on my cards, good ones, so how can it be :)

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wanted to ask
how good it is to go all in with 99

It depends on your stack and position... if you're short stacked... then any position is good to go all in.

If you're a mid stack, you may have overplayed if not in late position.

If you're a large stack, you most likely overplayed your hand.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if the stack of chips is larger than that of the opponents, I try to play more widely and push the stack. if the stack is medium, just wait. but it all depends on the desire to win the tournament, then we play without noticing the stage of the tournament

igroksash

igroksash

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play as usual, sometimes I even miss the moment when the game comes to the prize, until I get a notification about the expectation of the end of distributions on all tables.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Min-cash bubble - I don't play any different than I do at any other time - unless I'm really short, which is not often.

FT bubble - it's easy for me - Been super card dead at this point for about 5 weeks - so playing my normal range - I'm folding nearly every hand. Playing loose with crap cards ensures a spot outside the FT - so play your range - and hope you get playable cards.
Normally when not card dead - I play tight - and very aggressive with big cards, I'm going for 1st - so I put pressure on everyone - when I have cards to play.

L

lakemanlou28

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Whats not said in these posts was that this was an ACR tournament. Ive gone thru same scenarios more or less. ACR is notorious for these runner runner situations. Was expecting SB hand to be instead 78 or 67 off suit. And you get beat. Thats happened plenty. Yea. I know variance and all that,yea ok.
Just saying this how it goes on ACR.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you have a healthy stack you should be aggressive because
players will not call unless they have a good hand, so bluffing
is your friend here.

J

Jak0diamonds

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly... When it comes to raises for me AJ is a calling hand. Hands like AJ and KJ...i hate them in big pots there are too mamy hand that can beat you pre flop

Pooh

Pooh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the bubble can be a really good time to scoop up chips as people will often not play their range and tighten up

blind steals are a thing

but if my stack is ok i tighten up myself because bubbling out really sucks

I've seen tables go a couple of orbits and one dude raising and taking down the blinds each time at this stage in a tourney

though unless you are short stack maybe not

PuletJelek

PuletJelek

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'll play very tight on the bubble when my stack is short....

_xgeb_

_xgeb_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
I personally think you played the hand well. But what I want to mark you as important. The decision you make depends on how many blinds you have. I infer that being a freeroll, you had few blinds left, so going all in with that hand is profitable. But AJ with a villain who goes all in preflop, having a lot of blinds in your chip stack, it's not worth it in this case to put all your chips in there.:icon_thum

Pokerishard

Pokerishard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinien is better to play more agressive then tight......Most of players are playng tight...so is a big chance to collect chips nearly for FREE

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play the hand like you play everyone. Don't get upset for the bubble as you're building your brain with pressure. Best players are known for being perfect when they are under enormous pressure. Watch carefully the situation, make a really good conjecture for what is coming, watch other tables and how they are playing. I have lost mayor tour with AJ suited, after that happen I'm seriously analyzing my hands and I can say that you have made a good choice, maybe you should go all in pre-flop. All the best

JoeKampman

JoeKampman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have played it the same way. I usually tighten up if I'm Short Stacked near the bubble but you cannot give up everything. AJs is an open from UTG. You got it in good and odds were in your favor. I am currently studying about ICM and am finding that the shove or fold stance I had when my blinds got below 15 may not be correct. I'm learning as I go though.;)

youri

youri

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I am short stacked, I tighten up real good. If I am deep stacked I always try to exploit the shorter stacks by raising and re-raising em and I dont try to mangle with deeper stacks that often as you could risk it all

Sintubai

Sintubai

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Close to bubble i play more tight, but if deep stack can exploit blinds and shorts any times .. [emoji41]

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think playing once natural game is fine as it will average out in the long run.

carmenzu

carmenzu

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take the advice of Daniel Negreanu.

Bubble play

3 tips to consider when on the money bubble of a tourney.

1.- Identify the weak spots at the table.
2.- Avoid the other big stacks
3.- do not call all ins with a weak hand.

A

antonio4c

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No estés nervioso. Juega como solías hacerlo. Solo sé un poco más cuidadoso.no es nada

ssory83

ssory83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, in most tournaments, when I arrived in a tournament at the bubble stage .... I was in the sit-out, waiting for the player with the fewest points to come out ... so I don't risk going out from the game.

S

stormyf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Immediately before the bubble, if possible, and my points allow, I'd rather wait and not play. I regularly fall out of sync with the big cards.