how do you play the beginning of a tournament ?

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play the beginning of tournaments a little cautiously, without growing the pot too much and going down early on.
my open raise at the beginning of the tournament is 2.5x BB then I decrease as the blind go up.

Also at the beginning of the tournament I don't defend the big blind so much, I don't 3-bet out of position with speculative hands either.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
At the beginning of the tournament, I try not to get involved in too many hands, as this is when the game is looser, especially when it comes to freerolls.
I just watch and laugh at the crazy things I see on the tables.:ROFLMAO:

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Normally at the beginning of a tourney when the blinds are low, I may play a little loose to attempt to build my stack prior to the blinds increasing, but not crazily playing junk but reasonable, speculative hands...

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the beginning of the tournament, I try not to get involved in too many hands, as this is when the game is looser, especially when it comes to freerolls.
I just watch and laugh at the crazy things I see on the tables.:ROFLMAO:

I also laugh 🤣😂, I also take advantage of this beginning to make notes about the players

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think you're doing the right thing, but sometimes add a bluff hand and you'll increase your bank even more

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Depends on the day!

I also usually don't like to play speculative hands early on and only go to showdown with strong hands to earn respect from opponents later on.
I know not everyone uses HUD's (not for the stats but for the showdown hands), but those that do will think twice before calling or increasing my steals.
Obviously in position the range is much wider.
=)

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello brother
Look, at least I think the start of the tournament is the same as the end of the tournament.
The intention is always to win chips to improve your stack.
The possible difference is that at first you always find bingo players, or players who want to show aggression as if to say “this table is mine and I master it the way I want”. There I agree with my brother Cesar Gritz18, you just have to laugh and wait for his chance. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
But there is a reality, the start of the tournament in any position you are AA or KK you play yes or yes hahahahaha
Greetings friend:):) :spade: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Depends on the day!

I also usually don't like to play speculative hands early on and only go to showdown with strong hands to earn respect from opponents later on.
I know not everyone uses HUD's (not for the stats but for the showdown hands), but those that do will think twice before calling or increasing my steals.
Obviously in position the range is much wider.
=)
Don't lie brother kunkgreen, tell the truth.:devilish::devilish::devilish:
Nobody respects you, me and Cesar Gritz18 at the tables anymore.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ir's a joke :D:D:D:p:p:p
hugs brother:):):):giggle::giggle::giggle:

Last edited:
U

Ultikk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the stakes. On micro I'm mostly playing tight or with a position on others. Follow other players and try to spot REGS. Against fishes you can open any medium hand and do a small c-bet on flop. U usually get a fold and that's where you will chip up massively. Don't overplay hands and keep a cool head. That's how you will get more deep runs ;)

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
But there is a reality, the start of the tournament in any position you are AA or KK you play yes or yes hahahahaha
Of course if I get dealt AA or KK, I will never fold to an all-in freeroll tournament.
But it's obvious that villain's pair of 22s, who moved all-in from the beginning of the table, will hit his trips, straight, four of a kind and other things.:ROFLMAO:

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Of course if I get dealt AA or KK, I will never fold to an all-in freeroll tournament.
But it's obvious that villain's pair of 22s, who moved all-in from the beginning of the table, will hit his trips, straight, four of a kind and other things.:ROFLMAO:
Have no doubt about that brother.
Either he pays you with 67o and puts you on a straight
always happens:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Have no doubt about that brother.
Either he pays you with 67o and puts you on a straight
always happens
And if not, look at the answer above that I gave to our brother kunkgreen and see if I am not telling the trutho_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Regards, Cesar

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This week I think I lost with all my pairs of aces, no matter what action I took! 😂

There was one that I even thought about folding, it was an all-in by 4 people... I finally called. It was the only one I won of the week in more than 20 aces. hahahaha

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Esta semana creo que perdí con todos mis pares de ases, ¡sin importar qué acción tomé! 😂

Hubo uno en el que incluso pensé en retirarme, era un all-in de 4 personas... finalmente pagué. Fue el único que gané de la semana en más de 20 aces. jajajaja
very good and great record kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :as4: :ah4: :ad4: :ac4:

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
At the beginning, carefull game, and stable, trying to avoid temptations, but also having the eyes open for good chances!

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Depends? Sometimes i actually try to make everything i can so others would give me fast exit lol ...

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play very safe, in a position to prepare myself well for the stages of the tournament.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you need to keep a strategy and keep an eye on the players - it is important to understand who is who at the table

Like2Play2

Like2Play2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Very carefully. Even with the nuts. Bad beats can make you lose all your chips at the beginning of a tournament.
If there is no possibility of re-buy. Then you're out.

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play the beginning of tournaments a little cautiously, without growing the pot too much and going down early on.
my open raise at the beginning of the tournament is 2.5x BB then I decrease as the blind go up.

Also at the beginning of the tournament I don't defend the big blind so much, I don't 3-bet out of position with speculative hands either.
At the beginning of tournament you have more chips allowing you for some flexibility, it;s a good time to use them for accumulating where and when you can. This is in contrast to late stage when you are usually forced to do some actions in not-the-best conditions.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

depending on the cards play more aggressive.

pasha poltava

pasha poltava

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
at the beginning of the tournament, I try to play carefully, look at other players, note aggressive

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
At the beginning I always try to play very carefully, without taking unnecessary risks, but it also depends on certain situations that may arise at the table, I always think that I should play carefully, but if I see that I can press from the beginning and that with I will get good chips that I will do, but as I said before it depends on each situation and also on the readings I can get

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the beginning, ICM implications are negligible. I play similar to cash games.

Only when the stack size drops below 40 BB or there is bubble, I start factoring in ICM.

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
at the beggining you have to play few hands, always remeber that the chips you lose, worth much more than the chips you won.

So wait for the strong hands and play agressive.