How do you play at the beginning of a tournament?

R

renatoAD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play very aggressively, I try to make lots of chips early in the game, while everyone is afraid to play!

Milosika1991

Milosika1991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the beginning of the tournament u can be in hand with some connectors of the same color. with some smaller pairs to try your luck, later as the tournament goes on, waiting for better hands... :damnmate:

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ff

At early level blinds its better to see a lot of flops .You can see middle hands with low risk .Also its better to build your stack early so you can be fearless to short stack.

M

maykmar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always try to play premium hands and those with which I feel comfortable, and those hands the game hard,

Argonaut

Argonaut

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
cheap price vs spewing chips

I generally play pretty tight at early, until I get a feel for the players at the table. That being said, I think I'm generally more likely to play speculative hands early on, when the price is cheap, then I would later once the blinds become higher. I also think that sticking to quality hands early on builds credibility, which can be cashed in later on, when favorable position presents itself.

C

Cazador twd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at the beginning of a tournament it is better to open the range of hands and include many speculative hands that can connect a big hand and win a big pot

G

georgall

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Think at the begining of a tournament only slow play.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginning of the tournament I try to play on almost all the cards if there is a small bet in the game and the players do not raise and reraise, but much depends on the card that is being given to me, well, if a good card comes up and the players raise the bet, I also raise the bet less players were in the game and that my card could play normally, it all depends on the position and the bet that players make!

Shalarin

Shalarin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday I wrote it down because of I was bored when I entered a tourney early. I played 1 from 10 hands on average and won them all. This was enough to hold my stack level fine until the middle part of the tourney :)

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would adopt to the table. The blind structure is also to be considered.

If you are playing in a freeroll, you might as well gamble early because building up a big stack early is your only chance to go far. It is all about luck anyway.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I can see a cheap flop in position then I will do so.

Even junk can hit the board!

But be careful with AA KK QQ in the early stages.

I like to raise at least 4x otherwise all the junkhands in position will call and be licking their lips !

Good luck !

D

doom

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
well most of time at begin i play tight but if i see fish i try to play more hands with them

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
1. I avoid playing and losing big pots with weak hands.
2. Play large pots if you can hit a strong hand. Bet or raise high whenever it's your turn.
3. I try to win pots with small investments in speculative hands.

L

Littledutche

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to try and see as many flops as I can well the blinds are low.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to see flop with reasonable cards if cheap and in position. Superraise monster hands to avoid 4 people calling.

S

Samuel Kollapso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Starting the tournament the range has to be more closed, and avoid venturing with speculative hands, as the game goes by you open the range a little more, and other variables.

rfbh54

rfbh54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play aggressively in the middle and end of the game to be a favorite on the chips.

F

FreeDom1998

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For excellent results, I advise you to play tight (narrow range of hands - AA-JJ) at an early stage of the tournament, and try to avoid big banks (All-In).

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tend to play a little loose at the beginning and tighter the further along the tourney lasts.

John Penniston

John Penniston

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally you should play careful and try to get familiar with your opponents strategy, and also playing careful helps to preserve your BB count for the late stage in a tournament, especially in the bubble period.

AshK44

AshK44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is many posts asking what hands to play at certain stages of a tournament. I found the information In the pokerschool on pokerstars to be very helpful. There was even charts outlining fold, call or raise depending on your position and stage of the tourney. If you are signed up for that maybe print out those pages for reference. Good luck.

EllyWriter

EllyWriter

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I play very tight aggressive in the early stages of a tournament. Not sure who said it, but it makes great sense. " You can't win a tournament in the first hour, but you can surely lose it"

charlesdenis

charlesdenis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Eu toco apenas as mãos mais fortes, alguns sutos conectados, e eu não gosto de defender muitos BB, e eu não costumo blefar, porque os jogos pagarão na maioria das mãos, sabendo que eu costumo jogar muito agressivo