How do you handle a Monster hand early in a MONSTER Buy-in MTT?

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With AA, youll be happy to put all your money at the center.

westside1950

westside1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont understand your question? you dont want to bust early(1st hand) beacuse someone could crack your aces??

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The solution to this has never changed.....don't play it for the grand slam.

Play it for value, but be willing to give it up. Like if the flop comes 3 to a str8, or flushed and you don't have the suit. You have to be able to drop this hand, else it will kill you often enough to sour you on the whole game.

Remember, since this is the first hand, you have no reads on anyone. Yes, no one has a read on you either, but you have no clue how your opponents might have come to any decision about how they will approach the game. Perhaps they ate 2 bowls of Wheaties and are really feeling their oats with a devil may care attitude. You have no clues here, so just play it for value.

You can not win the whole damn tourney in 1 hand, but you sure as hell can lose it it in one hand.

N

nmirson

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
lol, while reading this post, i lost with AA in a 215usd tourney, to someone that called 10Q and hit QQ in river..
doesnt change anything if the stakes are high or low, u gotta play your best, there is always some hand that can go sideways when you have the best odds, but at the long run its goin to go well

JohnCPoker17

JohnCPoker17

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it depends how bad the flop was? Was there 2 face cards? One face card? 2 face cards is a fold if you assign a AA - JJ range on them, as you're only ahead 1/4 times and getting -EV. With 1 face card however, you are getting a strong +EV. However, it is notable that in higher stake tourneys, players are 3/4/5 bet much more frequently to get reads on their opponents, so their range may be very well under the AA-JJ range. But these details about the hand are important

Aletador

Aletador

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fear has never won any tourney ever. You want 1 caller at most. shove it immediately. When you lose with AA at least you didnt waste 2 or 3 hours of your time to get blinded out or having to shove poor hands at a later time. .

We can't play not to lose we have to play to win and the size or importance of the game shouldn't even be in our minds (Easier said then done I know)

Those are opinions that match mine, size and importance of the game will only do the mind**** to you, if you already registered for that tournament it means that you have already took in consideration its size and importance so during the play you should forget about that.
This is not very professional way of thinking but it is my way: When i get AA at the early stage of tournament i see it like the checker of the lady luck, if you lose with AA at the beginning its not your turn for luck. I do that because eventually you will get another AA during the tournament and you must agree you can`t fold it all the time so you better try your luck at the beginning and if you lose, like Jhonsonrod said it at least you didn't waste 2 or 3 hours of your time to get blinded out or having to shove poor hands at a later time.:joyman:

J

JVal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
general rule of thumb early in the tournament is to KEEP THE POT SMALL

if youre going all in or being put all in with anything but the nuts early in the tournament youre doing it wrong

never be afraid to fold aces post flop

after the flop its just another hand

i see people hold onto aces just because its the best possible starting hand

key word is "starting"

aces dont mean much when the flop is 9 T J all one suit

as for your specific situation it pretty much depends all on your read of the player

every situation is different

were you early position? middle? late? how much did you raise? did he limp before you raised? did he call from big blind? etc. etc.

hope that helps good luck

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands