How do you approach incessant raisers at your table?

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In a Live Tournament we had a player raising from the BTN every time it was my BB, I avoided playing against him until I had felt the time was right to play back at him, having A/9 suited dealt to me, when he raised I just called, I hit the Ace on the flop of A,7,3, and checked, he led out betting the same amount as he had raised me with and thought that is generally what a player was supposed to do, follow a pre-flop raise with a continuation bet, so I called.
When a 9 came on the Turn I checked again, he bet out, only this time I raised 2X, he called, now I had him on the back foot because he hadn't expected me to do that. So when a 7 came on the river I bet out about a half of the pot thinking he possibly had an Ace but my two pair would have beaten his two pair if he had been raising with A/K in his hand, He tanked for a long time before someone called the clock on him and was eventually timed out.
Wait for the right time and play back at them, they don't expect that happening from tight players!

andron205

andron205

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Contrstrategy of talkivaniya

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think that in these situations it is best to be patient. If the player or several players raise non-stop, it is unlikely that they will have winning hands. I think it's a matter of waiting for a good hand and making the most of it against these players.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I don't want to get emotionally involved, so I always wait until someone kicks such players out of the tournament.
The problem with them is that even if you get a strong hand, such a player is able to beat you with a bad hand, so I don't like to play in such situations.

vitas_top

vitas_top

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I love these players because they always make me win. You just have to play with good hands and wait for the right moment.

nakiesQUensyyy

nakiesQUensyyy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Positive, because when there is a strong hand, it will be possible to take more chips

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on the structure of the tourn you're playing. If you can wait for hands then you should tighten up and wait.

But what happens in 95% of the cases these are the same folks that say " I can acquire a lot of chips in the early stage but I lose them really fast", lol. Its because they won all the chips while being behind and just making bad plays and hitting on folks getting lucky.

If I see that happening every hand with the mindless raises then right off the bat, i know without a doubt they have ZERO clue what they're doing and can't play whatever game they're playing and have zero understanding of tourn structure.

Its like playing in a omaha tourn where folks think that holdem hands are great like KK27 lol comical and they're betting and betting and don't understand you need nearly the nuts in any form of omaha, lol. Even if you have no clue what so ever what they're doing then just take that hand and make some other combos with it, kk, k2, k7, and 27 lol its right there in plain sight. lol. I mean you don't have to study a game to see that lol. And they're jamming with that trash, lolo. Basically looking for a 2 outer for a set and jamming it.

Or playing holdem 50-100BBs deep and these folks are shoving with AQ and AK, lol. LOL After awhile I just say, here take it to make the kids happy and let them keep doing their silly nonsense. Pat them on the head and tell them good job.

And if we were playing stud8 or stud, lolol even worse.

Best thing is to just avoid them and let them self destruct. While playing, just make notes of who they are and keep going so you know what to expect down the line.

And I don't need sharkscope to tell me what their record is lol, its obvious who and what they are when you see them.

C

Cisne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If his raise is frequent because he often gets a good hand, it's totally understandable, just wait for his luck to run out and a bad hand comes, someone gets a better hand than his and eliminates him, you can end up eliminating him yourself if a better hand comes your way.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
ROFLuck ... its not an online tourney

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It seems that player had taken your breath away. In this case you must find a chance to do the same and maby establish a situation. It is not easy to reverse the game!

vladsink

vladsink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
I really don't like such players, I want to play calmly

Fepitaph

Fepitaph

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it's pretty simple, I'd 3bet every hand that I don't mind folding to a 4bet, or that would be very difficult to play postflop with. sizing would choose more, although out of position it is worth 3.5-4x 3bet, I would do 4.5x, in position I think 3.5-3.8x would be enough

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
My dad and I were in a tournament the other night. My table was pretty normal, but my dad's table was populated by a few players that raised every hand--specifically one player in particular raised BIG most hands.

How do you approach those incessant raisers when you can't seem to get a couple of good cards, especially when your chip stack is lower than theirs? Any tips? I'm new to real life tournaments.
To play against this type of player is only wait for cards that you can go all in, when he raised.