How do you approach incessant raisers at your table?

C

Cat Daddy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
My dad and I were in a tournament the other night. My table was pretty normal, but my dad's table was populated by a few players that raised every hand--specifically one player in particular raised BIG most hands.

How do you approach those incessant raisers when you can't seem to get a couple of good cards, especially when your chip stack is lower than theirs? Any tips? I'm new to real life tournaments.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Just be patient for a good hand to play back. Raise big on this guy especially if you have position on them. Playing a big pot in position with the goods against this guy would be a great situation!

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Gotta tighten up and then attack. Also, good to know what hands he is valuing. Is he just looking for action or is he betting big with quality hands?

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Agree with the others...just need to avoid them until you have a big hand and then reraise (big).

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, I agree with the majority, be patience and with good hands get a lot chips that you can. Good luck.

K

Kurchina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BA
Chips
Yeah, what others have had. No bluffing, and play tighter than you normally would.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Agree with what has been said so far, but also, don't fall into the trap of thinking they can't have it every time and go up against them with a less than quality holding, especially if you've managed to see a flop.
Remember everyone gets the same distribution of good hands and good flops, in theory.

M

mrflip09

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just let them hang themselves......when u get a good hand....maximaze profit vs him...........but my experience with those players r they r luck boxes vs me and my hand never holds vs his 7-2 he called vs my aa with

M

mrflip09

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My dad and I were in a tournament the other night. My table was pretty normal, but my dad's table was populated by a few players that raised every hand--specifically one player in particular raised BIG most hands.

How do you approach those incessant raisers when you can't seem to get a couple of good cards, especially when your chip stack is lower than theirs? Any tips? I'm new to real life tournaments.
also what part of the tournament was it? near the bubble...end of day 1? bc good tournament players will raise relentless near the bubble and day 1 end.........u can build a nice stack by just collecting the sb,,,,,bb and ante

akhilbansal

akhilbansal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Be ready to invest some, you may lose big, but chances are such opponents are your best chance to win big and increase your stack.
1. Wait for good cards to call, slow roll if you hit, and let them bet into you...
2. At times call, and on flop or turn, if you get a feel that opponent has not hit... bet, check and re-raise is even better. If they haven't got anything, mostly you will get the pot there itself. (irrespective of your cards). I have tried double/triple barreled at times, but its risky as mostly first time you got the call because either opponent has hit something or have a draw at least, so time to get alert.
3. Bet on flop, call if raised (basically portray you are trying to steal and you are fed up of opponent's bullying)... check on turn, if you hit something... you may or may not get the bet that you can call... and go full throttle on river. This almost always works in getting good returns.

There are couple more strategies I try, but I do not want to reveal all my trade secrets :). For that buy me a drink or 3... and don't forget the fries.

Last edited:
JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When I am faced with a player who is constantly raising at the table, it is important to remain calm and analyze the situation carefully. First, I look to see if this player is opening the range of hands he is raising with or if he is being more selective.

An effective strategy for dealing with this type of player is to consider three main aspects: position, chip stack size, and hand reading. If I'm in a favorable position, I can choose to defend my range more widely or even reraise to put pressure on the aggressive player. I even go all in with hands that are at the top of my range.

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I simply don't let them intimidate me and just play my game.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
such a game is more interesting and more variance but also profitable, it’s just that I need to play check-raises with such opponents starting from the flop

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
such players always bring fun to the game because they are so sweet just be patient then how to meet this aggressor so that he loses all his chips and goes to drink his tea and sleep because such players often lose and do not even reach the prize money and they are easy to defeat so you just wait for a strong hand and all his chips are yours

_420_420_

_420_420_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Wait until you catch the premium hands and let it rip.

nameless

nameless

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The basic strategy for beating aggressive players is to use your aggression against them. This means that you should not try to fight them so actively. Of course, there will be times when the best course of action will be to defend with another raise, but more often than not, the best way to beat them is to learn to make their aggression your weakness, rather than your strength. The easiest and most effective way is to call with a wider range than you normally would.
If the enemy is a maniac u should consider slow play with big hands

23maxim88

23maxim88

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Calling a raise with a push-fold strategy, especially if the stack isn't too short, or opening hands with speculative draws and playing them cautiously to slow play or applying check-raise if we hit something.

franciscomos

franciscomos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being patient, you need to have a lot of patience with those players and only call if you're ready with a strong hand to take a risk, even get prepared for an all in.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tighten your range, loosen your 3bet range and bet with value.

If he Cbets too much as well -check raise him.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
In these cases I try to be very patient and wait for the right moment, I try to play as solid as possible, at any moment they must fail, it is very difficult to bluff when there are these types of players, but I think that at some point you have to risk

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on my stack and position against them. Sometimes i will sit tight, sometimes i'll call with a very wide range

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
In most cases I try to be tight and let some other player to handle that.

poweROFLuck

poweROFLuck

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Be patient and wait for a good hand, IF YOU WIN throw a snowball on his face (pokerstars) :D
Of course playing in PS means you will lose even with a good hand 99% of time lol

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
It is necessary to raise in poker, and it is also necessary to know in what situations a repeated raise will bring the greatest profit, I take them calmly.