Good hands early or good hands late in Mtts

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is just a simple question. Would you rather start a MTT catching good hands and building a good stack, but then the hands just stop and you are fighting the blinds, or would you rather fold fold fold for the first 2 hours and catching just enough hands to keep you in the game, then you start catching good hands, and build up a good stack, and you can see that you can reach the FT? That's it. GL you all

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This happens quite often for players of the tight style of the game.
It is easy to deal with this in the cache, the blinds do not grow, money does not press, sit and wait, and there are no problems.
But in tournaments, it's another matter, sometimes a normal card does not come for 1-2 hours at all, if this happens at the beginning of the tournament, it is not a problem, the stacks are large, the blinds are small, it passes easily. Well, if at the end of the tournament it is very bad, it will not be possible to sit out, the big blinds will eat up your stack, you have to play bad cards.
This is poker :D

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely on the late stages because doubleing up early doesn't mean anything. Even if you win 100bb early, later on it'll become like 2-3bb, so I prefer being patient early on and hopefully receive a good hands later.

Schokk

Schokk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to start an MTT in a tight style, of course, if the hand is good then I will play it, but for the first stage better to be patient and wait, do not try to push bad hands, we can face a lot of all-ins on the start because a lot of players wanted to double up the stack.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would prefer the good run of hands late. Would make it easier to win the tournament that way. Doubling up late a few times is worth more than early in the tournament as well.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies you all. I just played one yesterday that could be an example. I doubled up with my 3rd hand, and after that, I caught nothing worth trying for awhile, so the blinds started eating me up, so just picked a spot to move all in and hope. I was out. I'm like you all, I like to catch late. GL to you all

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies you all. I just played one yesterday that could be an example. I doubled up with my 3rd hand, and after that, I caught nothing worth trying for awhile, so the blinds started eating me up, so just picked a spot to move all in and hope. I was out. I'm like you all, I like to catch late. GL to you all

Think we've all been there... doubling up early, thinking you're gonna be on a sick roll.. then nothing for rest of tourney!!

It's certainly frustrating haha.

I'd still choose to be lucky early in the tournament and have enough chips to make some moves than get blinded down and have to run it all in.

Goodluck to you on the tables!

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rather fold fold fold and get good cards when blinds are higher.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely want too see good hands later in the tournament when the blinds are higher and I’m down to the 15-25 bb range and looking to double up. I find getting good hands early rarely pay off big as no one is short and looking to double up. Also with large bb stacks more people willing to call your raise and can easily suck out on you, whereas later they will fold weaker hands like 67s that could outdraw you.

Ellvira

Ellvira

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Or maybe you can still play not only what cards but from the position

WickedFRoST

WickedFRoST

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's easy!

I will take good hands in late stages of the tournament all day! In early stages, there still is a lot of postflop action, which means that I have a chance to outplay an opponent, even without an actual hand. Especially it is easy, because the whole table saw that I was folding to much, and the chances I'm bluffing are quite low.

And in late stages there is almost no postflop action whatsoever, so your tournament life totally depends on how well you are running in terms of cards strenght.

Not to mention the fact that in tournaments you win money in late stages, not early stages, so you chip value increases overtime. One chip earlt in the tournament is worth 10 times less that 1 chip in late tournament.

So I don't see any reason why would someone prefer to get good hands early on, and then be card dead.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Well, good hands are always welcome at any time .... however I would prefer that they appear to me in the advanced parts of the tournament .... in such a way as to allow me to strengthen my chip stock

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good hands at the start of the tournament are not as important as in the middle of the tournament. Because, it is the middle of the tournament that determines your future position and your opportunities for the game. And I'll say more, sometimes you don't have to have a good card in front of the final table or on him it to win, but if you don't have anything in the middle, you won't end up high in the end. Every stage of the tournament is important, but getting through the middle stage well is the most important thing, I think.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're going for the big score, you'll definitely need good starting cards late in a MTT to better your chances of success. With lower blinds in earlier rounds, if you can be more selective with what you play and play with the fewer good hands you get in position, you should be able to stay afloat or slowly increase your stack and hope that the run good of good cards at the end can help you go from the bottom to the top of the standings.

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This depends on the kind of the tournament you play. The best i think is tight at the beginning and after a part of bingo player (as happens in any tournaments) are out you can build a strategy on how to proceed. Good luck to you!

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it’s better to have good hands in late stages of tournament, because blinds are bigger and every pot worth double or more. But again mix on every stage would be the best.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since I only late register when were deep into mtts, i would prefer later good hands later.

Z

Zypher2212

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good hands late every day. I’m patient enough to wait out the bad hands. Plenty of times I have started hot and don’t end up finishing well after going card dead. On the other hand have won tournaments after not winning a single hand for the first hour or two (live).

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's the same in both situations, so there's no difference in this case.

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
always good to double up in early stages. But I'd recommend not to play it agressively just because of your stack size. 2x or 3x more of table's average doesn't matter much, I'd be stick to my starting strategy. Still, we need keep balance to bring more chips into mid stages. What really crucial is late-mid stage. Constantly playing tight - fold,fold,fold as you said - will definitely fuse stack in the late stages. Down to around 25BB, we won't be play most of those good hands as you know. Gradually we're in almost shove or fold situation so we need to be lucky to double up, thus it helps more than earlier of tourney.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What kind of question is that?? Would you like to cash in tourney or play FT in translation... Ofc second..

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's more important for me that good hands come at the end of the tournament.At the beginning of a tournament I can build a stack even with bad hands, it's not difficult)))

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is another example. Awhile ago I played in a MTT, and in less that 30 minutes, I had tripled up my starting stack. Then for the next hour I caught nothing, and as you all know, if you sit there long enough and get bored, you will start calling some hands just to get in the action. What happens next is the fact that those hands bring just enough with them to keep you in at least to the turn. Like a small losing pair. If I look back, this has been happening in my last 3 or 4 MTTs, so I haven't even seen the late stages of any. I hope it will change soon. GL you all

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would much rather destroy the final table than gain a lead early and then bleed slowly until I tilt all the chips away.

V

Vizzy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely would prefer the better cards towards the end.

At the start you have the opportunity to sit out between blinds and play only good hands. At the end you will need some wins to keep you in the game with the high blind levels.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands