Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think at the beginning of the tournament, when the stacks are big, you can sit out the blinds. Then it is very important that in the tournament, when the stack becomes middle, the hands fall on the board. Good hands at the end of the tournament will allow you to rank high enough in the tournament.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Late stages for sure. Getting em let will get you to the final table

TirariAchref

TirariAchref

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
Good hands early of course because you never know what will happen in the end.

D

Dreadseth

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you get them early you have some lead way to sit and wait out the storm.

I usually get into the money every time I have an early run.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is better naturally when the card comes in the middle of the tournament, then it is realistic to count on prizes. I read in the recommendations that good bundles go about 50/50 in tournaments.

bertaS1234

bertaS1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Better good hands both at the beginning and at the end. But if you choose from the beginning or the end, then I will choose the beginning. At the beginning of the tournament, it is important to get as much stack as possible, then you can feel better. But do not forget that any hands can win and lose

M

malucado4545

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

man, good hands is good at all times

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I've got a better idea. How about connecting flops rather than good cards, right? Or at least turns and rivers. Or how about not the worst possible river cards that turn the pot 180 degrees. How about not going all in preflop all the time?

But to get to your question, I'd rather have them late in any tournament as early there would not be many big pots to take you to the final. or scattered throughout the tournament? Early it's achievable to build your stack from junk but as blinds get more and more expensive, you need better cards to get in the pots.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
at the end of the tournament, good hands are more important but if you fail at the beginning then you will be caught by the blinds towards the end. So I think that they are more important towards the end of the tournament, but I don't want to exclude the beginning and middle of the tournament. Even if you don't get such big pots at the beginning, they also have their importance in the tournament and whether you can make it to the ft. I think every hand counts, regardless of whether you are early or late in the tournament. where of course how later you are in the tournament how important it is that you get the right hands because otherwise you will be eaten by the blinds

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
late without a doubt. in late part you won't notice how your stack breaks if you are card dead even if you were in high positions during first hour.

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
Good hands late is more important cos that decides if you win the mtt. Early decides if to make money, so always late

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's a very good question.
The answer will depend on each player's game.
I prefer to have a mix of hands, ranging from good, more or less, bad and so on.
I think that if, in the beginning, you see good hands and you can build a good bank, managing the bank, you can enter the prize pool.
What happens with all this is having patience and emotional control.

R

ravv

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play regular tournaments I think it's better to get good hands later. On begging your stack is enough to fold a lot of hands so you can wait for better hands. Even if you have great hand it not always mean that you will win a lot because pot is small and later In tournaments you have ante and bigger blinds so you can earn more.

Ofc is poker so you need to be patient. Sometimes you have good hands one after one and sometimes you need to wait longer

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
I think it's better to get good hands later. Blinds are greater and player playing tighter. Later, but no too late.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I like to play having a big stack. So I'd rather wait later - being card dead with a big stack, than wait in the beginning, seeing my stack going shallower and shallower and being forced to rely strictly on luck in all ins.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's always better to play with premium hands) but the stage of the tournament and your stack matter here

pandaboy

pandaboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ofc late, because of value chips is different

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It is always nice to get an early double up and have a decent chip stack to see you through lean times when you cannot get a hand, it also gives you the power to pressurize shorter stacks and steal blinds, but you have to play carefully, as some players will fight back even with shorter stacks.
All you can do is play the hands you are dealt, and sometimes even the better hands will fail to make you money, either because you are raising too high to keep players in the hand, or they try pushing you off a hand, which could be considerably better than their's but they shove all-in and you just have to call or fold.
The skill comes from knowing when to push players around, and when to fold even good hands, how many times do you see A/A crushed by a 7/8 or J/10 in all-in flips? it happens all the time, some call it a suck-out or bad beat, which it is but that doesn't stop it from happening.
I remember on 2 consecutive nights, I went out of a free-roll tournament, on the very first hand when I had A/A crushed by K/K on the first night and the following night K/K crushed by A/A, it happens, but you cannot cry over it, and if you ain't calling with hands like that, what hands do you call with?
Poker is a fun game and the only reason I play is purely for fun.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

TheIpS

TheIpS

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems to me that in the initial stage it is better when you come across playable cards, these are suited connectors, or cards that can make a straight.
In the later stages, cards with higher absolute equity, such as broadway or pairs, are better.
IMHO

W

WJMKAM

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need good hands spread throughout the tournament. The best time to get a good hand is when you are in the BB. That way you do not waste the BB and you can play tight the rest of the way around.

In a tournament it is best to have a good hand, that wins late in the tournament. You just need enough good hands to get there.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, the best outcome is when good and bad hands alternate throughout the tournament.

DanS87

DanS87

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'd much rather have the good cards come later in the game than at the beginning.

Building a big stack at the beginning may seem great, but your larger than average stack at the beginning of the game can very quickly turn into a middle or short stack later on in the game with increasing blinds and other players stacks growing at a faster rate with larger pots.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really think that you need some good hands both early and late. What is more important, in my opinion, is not the exact hands you receive , because it is a random draw. You have no control over what cards you are dealt, what you DO have control over, is picking your spots to make a move. In most mtt's I play, I do not run massive bluffs often, my stakes are too low. What I find that I can do, is pick and choose good spots to take advantage of others. Such as near the bubble when everyone is afraid to bust, I can pick up a good amount of chips. There will always be spots to play no matter what 2 cards you are holding.

C

Clutchdenier

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd prefer to get hands late - it means you managed to get into a cashable spot and luck at that stage is always welcome ;)

Maybe I'm wrong here but isn't the better question how do you identify "good spots" for chips? Perceived hand value and ranges can do the job nearly as well as having the hand if the correct line is taken and you have a good read of the villain

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands