papapokera85

papapokera85

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I often happen if at the beginning the stack of a big one to 2 o'clock the game is slowly disappearing, it is sad. The best option is when you raise the waves, etc. At the beginning of the game to be chipper it is not very))

A

Axe1Gold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a tour at the start you are really deep to play more hands.

You can see flop with 22. If somebody raise with AK in early position 3-5bb you can call it easily from 250bb stack. If you hit the flop and the AK too AK2 for eg. he raise you go all in and it is a good start of your tournament. But if you doesnt hit the flop you can easily fold.
It doesnt matter if you lose 4bb from a 200-250bb stack.

So my opinion is it is much better if we have good hands late in MTTs

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies. I read them all. I always say that because like me, people like to know what they say is important. Anyway, I was just thinking that a good lead from the start is great too, if I can hit one good hand out 6 or 8 in order to continue to build my stack. I have been there and I'm sure you all have too. GL you all.

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the replies. I read them all. I always say that because like me, people like to know what they say is important. Anyway, I was just thinking that a good lead from the start is great too, if I can hit one good hand out 6 or 8 in order to continue to build my stack. I have been there and I'm sure you all have too. GL you all.

Yeah, a good lead from the start is indeed great. It can allow you to open up a lot and maybe even bully the table or control the action and build up large. However, that being said, as per your original question, always Always ALWAYS i'd prefer good hands (that hold of course) late in the MTT. Even a big stack can whither away with high blinds and marginal hands at best.

hog123

hog123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would rather have late

As I feel I can pick and weaver my way with mid hands early

Nothing feels better then catching monster late when you need it

E

eugenedav

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Whats a good time to play mtts early or late?

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Good hands later for sure. And this is typically the case for me as I am rarely a tourney leader. The good news is I play flawlessly early - folding away.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies you all. I had a good example of building a great early. I played a $200 GTD on SB with my last 66 cents. I won 4 or 5 hands at the first and had over 200,000 chips, then nothing and went out after about 10 levels. GL you all

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would rather choose the second one :)

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the start of the tournament you don't lose that much just paying blinds. Later on blinds cost you more so you need to be getting good hands.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
decent hands early, playable late.

Realistically, I want some decent cards early, to be able to mix it up and play profitably. With some decent play, if I only get some playable hands, suits, connectors,etc that's getting some fair cards, giving a person a chance to win.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies you all. I think I'm like you 63burner. I want to build a good stack early too, and hopefully catch good hands early too. Most everyone wants to catch good hands late in the MTT. But no matter, we have to play what we have and keep going. GL to you all

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want a good hand on late game. :)

Y

yanvargas7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In basic tournament strategies, playing tighter waiting for good hands becomes the most suitable way as even the blinds are low in the early stages we don't get much advantage in trying to steal blinds at early levels. As the blinds go up we should be opening the range as if we keep our posture tight we will be swallowed up by the blinds especially in turbo tournaments. The advantage is that stealing blinds and pot sizes will be bigger and more advantageous

W

whyfold that

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think having good hands early is good then if you can hold them chips and get good hands late you should at least make the cash bubble lol

hog123

hog123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Good hands all the time lol

Early for me builds confidence I focus on the position super hard meaning never really play out of position

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
i think is better to have them early in MTT , later you adjust your play if you have a decent stack

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good cards help at all stages in tourney. In early stages we want good hands with robust equity (low pocket pairs, suited connectors) and in later stages we want high pairs and high cards which have more raw equity.

Nochaser

Nochaser

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is just a simple question. Would you rather start an MTT catching good hands and building a good stack, but then the hands just stop and you are fighting the blinds, or would you rather fold fold fold for the first 2 hours and catching just enough hands to keep you in the game, then you start catching good hands, and build up a good stack, and you can see that you can reach the FT? That's it. GL you all

I rather received my share of good hands later than early. Most times if I get it early I end up fighting, in the end, to make it to the final table.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is just a simple question. Would you rather start a MTT catching good hands and building a good stack, but then the hands just stop and you are fighting the blinds, or would you rather fold fold fold for the first 2 hours and catching just enough hands to keep you in the game, then you start catching good hands, and build up a good stack, and you can see that you can reach the FT? That's it. GL you all

Having a large stack earlier allows you to play more poker - and even do the nasty once in a while - bluff. Having a below average stack during the event requires caution, and limits your options and play - so the first option is clearly the best option. Big stack early.
Who enjoys limping into the money and finally getting lucky? That is destiny giving you something rather than you telling destiny - go bleep yourself - Im in charge today. :)

Last edited:
A

arsenalcho_1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

further in the tournaments it is better to get strong hands because then we can get more profit from our hand

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I see it almost impossible for a player to fold fold fold for 2 hours in a row, I think he must have some good play in that time, but I prefer it not to be at the beginning of the tournament, usually many play carefully at the beginning and That often makes it difficult for you to get the results you expect with good cards, I prefer it to be a little more advanced, so I think there is a better chance of reaching the final table, as long as those good hands help to win, because let's be honest, you can have good hands but bad beats are real hehe

D

Damian Baez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Answer

And really, if they give them to you at the beginning, then it is to stay and if you reach the end, strong hands will fall to you again, these are the times of a tournament.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands